is Drywall or sheetrock available in DOM REP?

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
Hey guys, we are about to do some renovations in my families old house and have a question.

Is sheetrock/ drywall available out here? The people I mention "sheetrock" to say that they have never heard of that or that no one works with that in Dom Republic.

Is this true? HELP!!!

Jan 9, 2004
Hey guys, we are about to do some renovations in my families old house and have a question.

Is sheetrock/ drywall available out here? The people I mention "sheetrock" to say that they have never heard of that or that no one works with that in Dom Republic.

Is this true? HELP!!!

I have seen it used in the DR.

It is not popular because of the susceptibility to moisture/humidity..................and the DR has plenty of that.

When I have inquired of a builder who does use it..........he always stresses to use only the green mold resistant sheet rock. In bathroom areas that are to be tiled he recommends Durock cement board with a water-proofing membrane like Redgard.

I did not inquire as to where/how he buys it.

Good luck with your project.

Respectfully,
Payacaribe2

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013

Is this true? HELP!!!

Been available for years. Durarock is a brand name that holds up better to moisture. I have had several walls built with it and they have been up for years without any issues.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There's a big sheet rock supplier on Charles Sumner a few hundred feet west of Pricesmart.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If you are in the Bavaro area there is a drywall store at Friusa corner. Stocks pretty much all the drywall and accessories

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
Bellon big box in Santiago has it, along with 5 pound buckets of mud, metal corner reinforcing, paper tape, 12 knives. They also sell 10' galvanized stud "vertas" and top and bottom "canales", and self-tapping sheet metal screws. Pretty much the works - all 1/2" sheetrock. I have seen some in smaller hardware stores too.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
It's a cultural thing. Having lived in Florida for a number of years before moving to the DR and coming from a construction background sheet rock was always used throughout Florida with no problems. The Dominicans view this type of construction as weak and not long term and for that reason don't use it. For me it's the most efficient and best system to use for construction but to get the Dominicans to change is almost impossible. When I build my big ocean front house in Las Terrenas I will use block as the outside walls and then put metal studs on the inside of the block as well as all the interior walls so the plumbing and electrical can be run normally. Also, makes it much easier to install cabinets and other items on the walls. Then sheetrock, tape and texture. This allows for insulation to be installed in all walls to keep air conditioning costs down. Also takes away the feeling of being in a mausoleum like when everything is concrete in a typical Dominican house. Yes, there is a sheetrock store just a short distance down the road from and on the same side of the street as Price Smart in the Capital. They stock everything including corners, screws etc.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
......The Dominicans view this type of construction as weak and not long term and for that reason don't use it................

I can see using "shee-rowk" for interior walls of a single story structure but for multi-level apartment towers I would think concrete interior walls are better for structural support.

......feeling of being in a mausoleum like when everything is concrete in a typical Dominican house
...certainly does

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Block also makes for better fire protection. With the wiring I have seen here, combustible construction materials might not be a good idea.

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
It's a cultural thing. Having lived in Florida for a number of years before moving to the DR and coming from a construction background sheet rock was always used throughout Florida with no problems. The Dominicans view this type of construction as weak and not long term and for that reason don't use it. For me it's the most efficient and best system to use for construction but to get the Dominicans to change is almost impossible. When I build my big ocean front house in Las Terrenas I will use block as the outside walls and then put metal studs on the inside of the block as well as all the interior walls so the plumbing and electrical can be run normally. Also, makes it much easier to install cabinets and other items on the walls. Then sheetrock, tape and texture. This allows for insulation to be installed in all walls to keep air conditioning costs down. Also takes away the feeling of being in a mausoleum like when everything is concrete in a typical Dominican house. Yes, there is a sheetrock store just a short distance down the road from and on the same side of the street as Price Smart in the Capital. They stock everything including corners, screws etc.

Thanks for this reply, i totally understand the concern of it not being "strong" but the hose is already built with blocks and all the strong stuff, I was thinking of sheetrock to divide 2 bedrooms and modernize the overall look of the interior with smooth walls and such.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks for this reply, i totally understand the concern of it not being "strong" but the hose is already built with blocks and all the strong stuff, I was thinking of sheetrock to divide 2 bedrooms and modernize the overall look of the interior with smooth walls and such.

Sounds like a great idea.............

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
That's a perfect application. I think another reason they don't use much of it here is the way they literally flood the interiors with water to wash the walls and ceilings. I swear it looks like a lake inside sometimes. First time I saw this I was totally shocked as you would never see that in the U.S. All that water would definitely cause a problem with sheetrock walls but the humidity shouldn't be a problem as Florida is just as humid and sheetrock is used everywhere. Go for it Mekkizm...

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
That's a perfect application. I think another reason they don't use much of it here is the way they literally flood the interiors with water to wash the walls and ceilings. I swear it looks like a lake inside sometimes. First time I saw this I was totally shocked as you would never see that in the U.S. All that water would definitely cause a problem with sheetrock walls but the humidity shouldn't be a problem as Florida is just as humid and sheetrock is used everywhere. Go for it Mekkizm...

Thanks for the reply BLUECEO, I thought the same thing about the water but we'd tell the lady that helps in the house not to wash the inside walls that way. I'm going for it!

'

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

Makes sense.

You need foundations for block walls even internally and if you use metal studs as against timber there is zero fire risk...minimal even with PT timber. Why not use cement board (panel de fibrocemento) for a more durable and resilient finish. That is a preference here in DR for commercial work and eliminates the concerns of water mopping of floors.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
How much water is being used to mop the floors? Some make it sound like the maid is hosing down the place with a firehose.

Sheetrock is installed with a gap between the floor and the rock. After installation a vinyl or wooden baseboard is installed. Sure beats me how the rock is going to get soaking wet just from mopping the floors.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

Remember the big problem with the Chinese  drywall imported into Florida not that long ago. It was substandard and quickly developed mold problems. I remember seeing real estate listings where the presence of moldy Chinese drywall was noted. It devalued the list prices of the homes. The Chinese import a lot of things into the DR. I’d ask about the source of the wallboard here.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Makes sense.

You need foundations for block walls even internally and if you use metal studs as against timber there is zero fire risk...minimal even with PT timber. Why not use cement board (panel de fibrocemento) for a more durable and resilient finish. That is a preference here in DR for commercial work and eliminates the concerns of water mopping of floors.

Can you tell me what is cement board and its applications? WHo sells it ochoa? tks