Want to marry my fiancee that lives in Santiago and bring her and her son to the US

bx1holla

Mar 30, 2018
Hi, I am new to this. I have been with my fiancee since late 2016. I go to Santiago quarterly to go see her and we just got engaged Oct 2017. I want to know what is the fastest and best way to get her in the United States. She do have a 5 year old son as well. She already got her Dominican Passport. I am currently not working, but I do have a good amount of money saved up in which I am set for the year with bills. I saw most people saying it is better to get K1 visa and I would like to marry her in the United States. I did see that some people said rapid Visa takes 6 months or less, and then I seen some bad reviews as well. I just want to know the best way to do it, and has anyone know anybody that did it since Trump in office successfully. Thanks.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
K-1 is best imho
But ask yourself how you are marrying someone you know quarterly. Marriage becomes daily if she comes to the U.S. Or at least until she leaves.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I suggest you join a Facebook Group called Dominicano spouses which is for men and women married to Dominicans or engaged to them and has invaluable advice on US visas. There are also several other FB groups and forums just about American visas so suggest you google those.

Matilda

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi, I am new to this. I have been with my fiancee since late 2016. I go to Santiago quarterly to go see her and we just got engaged Oct 2017. I want to know what is the fastest and best way to get her in the United States. She do have a 5 year old son as well. She already got her Dominican Passport. I am currently not working, but I do have a good amount of money saved up in which I am set for the year with bills. I saw most people saying it is better to get K1 visa and I would like to marry her in the United States. I did see that some people said rapid Visa takes 6 months or less, and then I seen some bad reviews as well. I just want to know the best way to do it, and has anyone know anybody that did it since Trump in office successfully. Thanks.

Welcome to DR1. In case you haven't read the website here is some info for you https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ion/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#8

Proof of Financial Support and Affidavit of Support Forms

During the visa interview, applicants will be required to present evidence to the consular officer that they will not become a public charge in the United States. You may present evidence that you are able to financially support yourself or that your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) is able to provide support. The Consular Officer may request that a Form I-134, Affidavit of Support be submitted by the U.S. citizen fiancé(e).

JimW

May 21, 2014
Bx1holla,

Congratulations. I'm sure you have either read (or will see) a lot of thoughts and cautions on marriage between Americans and Dominicans so I'm sure you've done your homework and are aware of potential pitfalls (and positives) so I'm going to stick to the question you asked.

I'm happily married since 2014 to a Dominican woman I met in 2013. I would HIGHLY suggest you check out the website http://dominicanstotheusa.com for tons of advice, options and methods. It's the "go to" for advice, very well run from a respected Dominican/American couple. There's a large forum community, all people who have or are going through the exact same thing you're looking to do.

I can say that all the advice I received on that website I used and was very successful in making my situation happen (but everyone's situation is different of course).

Some things in the mean time to think about...

1. As mentioned below by cavok, not having a job will probably present a problem. I would suggest getting that situation straightened out asap. While you may have money now, to an immigration official, they want to know if you have the means to keep your Dominican spouse supported over the long term. Having a steady gig is important.

2. Consider if your fiancé would qualify for a visa (tourist) on her own. There are 'options' for making things move faster (which you'll find out about on the website I mentioned) but some of them will depend on whether she can qualify for a visa to the US on her own. If she doesn't then your only options will be to bring her to the US as a fiancé (and marry here in the US) or marry her in the DR and then petition for her while she continues to live there.

If any questions, feel free to PM me. Either way, best of luck on your future marriage.

Best regards,

-Jim

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Unless your saved up money is producing enough income to support you and your fiancé (more than $1,000 a month) you'll need a job, and unless she denies her status as your fiancé (thereby committing fraud) she probably won't get a tourist visa.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Join the Facebook group Matilda suggested or the internet forum group Dominicans to the USA. www.dominicanstotheusa.com . There is a moderator on this board named D-Mo, and he knows all. He is also very willing to help others. Good luck.

affald

May 17, 2004
Unrelated to visa. Please disregard.

DO NOT POST UNLESS IT'S A DIRECT ANSWER TO THE QUESTION!

DIRECT ANSWERS ONLY PLEASE!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
There is a website ( I think it is ok to mention it here??) called Visa Journey. A lot of great information, timelines, etc... Best of luck to you...