Meat Heaven in Santo Domingo

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I post this here for carnivores who may travel to StoDgo to see instead the Santo Domingo forum.

We were in the Capital this week committing capitalism and at the suggestion of a friend visited Meat Depot on Charles Sumner. The store is a block or so from Churchill and just a couple of blocks from Price Smart.

Wow! What an interesting place!

Meat Depot has an amazing variation of meats and especially beef, both choice and prime. I suspect El Encanto in Santiago gets their selection of beef from these guys.

I even saw a prime 6lb+ Tomahawk ribeye!

I bought several cuts including a nice ribeye for dinner Saturday night. I bought two 12oz. pork ribeyes that were fantastic earlier this week! They had all manner of cuts, quality and packaging available, including some from smaller, eclectic US specialty butchers. MD also has a nice variety of "gourmet" foods and cheeses. We bought a 1lb. block of honest-to-Buddha bleu cheese for homemade salad dressing and Gruyere cheese for an onion soup topper.

The store itself is IKEA-esque in that it's not open like a traditional grocery store, but instead, you wind your way through it. Even checkout is different, almost like a concierge system.

I know when the beef locker gets low, we'll be back!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I post this here for carnivores who may travel to StoDgo to see instead the Santo Domingo forum.

We were in the Capital this week committing capitalism and at the suggestion of a friend visited Meat Depot on Charles Sumner. The store is a block or so from Churchill and just a couple of blocks from Price Smart.

Meat Depot has an amazing variation of meats and especially beef, both choice and prime. I suspect El Encanto in Santiago gets their selection of beef from these guys.

I bought several cuts including a nice ribeye for dinner Saturday night. I bought two 12oz. pork ribeyes that were fantastic earlier this week! They had all manner of cuts, quality and packaging available, including some from smaller, eclectic US specialty butchers. MD also has a nice variety of "gourmet" foods and cheeses. We bought a 1lb. block of honest-to-Buddha bleu cheese for homemade salad dressing and Gruyere cheese for an onion soup topper.

The store itself is IKEA-esque in that it's not open like a traditional grocery store, but instead, you wind your way through it. Even checkout is different, almost like a concierge system.

Tell us about the prices !!!!

I visited a store or 2 in santiago that carry french cheeses and wine, italian cold cuts, etc........ but the prices are like caviar's prices :(

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
meat depot is in santiago too, they have a large freezer in el encanto. we bought about 15k pesos worth of stuff there last month.

prices? tomahawk steak goes for about 2,500 pesos for each (don't know the weight but one would easily feed two or even three people). churrasco is 600 per pound, ribeye 400 per pound.
they have lots of great sausages too, raw: chipotle, hot italian, caramelized onion, four cheeses and more. a pack of 4 sausages (over a pound) costs from 250 to 350, maybe a bit more, depending on the type of sausage and the weight.
they also say hamburger patties, also with great additions: maple syrup and bacon, serrano jam, provolone and whatnot. a pack of 4 patties costs from about 350 to 550 pesos, depending on weight and type.
they also have rib racks (don't know the price, we opened and seasoned these yesterday for tomorrow's lunch).

so i guess it may be a bit costly but in my opinion it is worth it. their churrasco is very clean, literally you can open the bag, season it and toss it on the grill. comparatively churrasco from la sirena has lots of fibrous tissue and blobs of dirty fat that need removing.

i have it on my to-go-to list for SD and i will not bat an eye to spend even a thousand bucks there. all the meat can go into the freezer where it can last us a long time.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Tell us about the prices !!!!

I visited a store or 2 in santiago that carry french cheeses and wine, italian cold cuts, etc........ but the prices are like caviar's prices :(
The prices are more modest that equal meats at El Encanto or Nacional. I was very pleasantly surprised.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
meat depot is in santiago too, they have a large freezer in el encanto. we bought about 15k pesos worth of stuff there last month.

prices? tomahawk steak goes for about 2,500 pesos for each (don't know the weight but one would easily feed two or even three people). churrasco is 600 per pound, ribeye 400 per pound.
they have lots of great sausages too, raw: chipotle, hot italian, caramelized onion, four cheeses and more. a pack of 4 sausages (over a pound) costs from 250 to 350, maybe a bit more, depending on the type of sausage and the weight.
they also say hamburger patties, also with great additions: maple syrup and bacon, serrano jam, provolone and whatnot. a pack of 4 patties costs from about 350 to 550 pesos, depending on weight and type.
they also have rib racks (don't know the price, we opened and seasoned these yesterday for tomorrow's lunch).

so i guess it may be a bit costly but in my opinion it is worth it. their churrasco is very clean, literally you can open the bag, season it and toss it on the grill. comparatively churrasco from la sirena has lots of fibrous tissue and blobs of dirty fat that need removing.

i have it on my to-go-to list for SD and i will not bat an eye to spend even a thousand bucks there. all the meat can go into the freezer where it can last us a long time.
El Encanto is sometimes limited. The MD store is the capital is well stocked.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This is the 1.74lb. ribeye for dinner tonight, right out of the freezer, for RD$395lb. The marbling looks excellent. It's not prime, but I suspect it'll be fantastic done with the sous vide. US$8.05 a pound is a great price for good beef, so $14 for a marbled, quality ribeye that feeds three is amazing. The "I" means "imported," and I assume choice.

gTXMX9.jpg

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Insane High Prices

Went there twice (first time and last time) way to expensive !!!

Aug 21, 2007
Player sells Meat Depot meats. Their selection is limited and sometimes looks like it has been frozen, unfrozen, and frozen again. But if you have a craving and no time to run to Santiago or SD, it is a good alternative.

Lindsey

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
This is the 1.74lb. ribeye for dinner tonight, right out of the freezer, for RD$395lb. The marbling looks excellent. It's not prime, but I suspect it'll be fantastic done with the sous vide. US$8.05 a pound is a great price for good beef, so $14 for a marbled, quality ribeye that feeds three is amazing. The "I" means "imported," and I assume choice.

gTXMX9.jpg

That is a good price. Ribeyes are also good with marsala mushrooms or blue cheese. I season with garlic salt also.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Did they have rack of lamb. I have to go to STQ next week and I woukd kill for some good lamb.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Looked at Google and couldn't find a map location

can anybody help there?
I don't do facebook..... and today world... glad I don't

Found it..... near IKEA and Blue Mall and Bravo....

sorry........

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

What time is dinner ? I'll bring the wine. I have a nice boxed chianti.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Looked at Google and couldn't find a map location

can anybody help there?
I don't do facebook..... and today world... glad I don't

Found it..... near IKEA and Blue Mall and Bravo....

sorry........
It's liie two blocks off Churchill on Charles Sumner, on the way to Price Smart.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
What an incredible $14 ribeye for three! I cooked it to 137.5F internal temp in the Anova, a little more rare that we want. Next time it'll be 140F.

pD8o4L.jpg

gOukVP.jpg