Dominican Avocados

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The avocados that you can buy here in DR are much better than I have been used to elsewhere in the world.

Not surprisingly, the export of avocados is growing and now DR is the 12th largest exporter (US30m) but yet it is the second largest producer annually worldwide with 8% (400 million tons) of the market but still some way behind Mexico at 31% as todays article in Diario Libre.

https://www.diariolibre.com/portada...s-superan-los-us-30-millones-al-ano-DN9528306

It this follows that one hell of a lot of those avocados are still consumed here, and why not since they are a good counter balance to the fatty high cholesterol foods popular here.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
They are better because the ones you get here are fairly ripe when picked.

The ones back in the states are picked long before fully developed and ripened.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Avocados for export are also picked when mature with a designated dry matter percentage.

Those same avocados can be found at Super Pola/Nacional and so on on a Tuesday morning and need several days to ripen.

Aren't we lucky you can buy the ripe ones at the side of the road or from the guy wandering through the barrio yelling out that he has good ones for lunch.

Maybe it is the Carla avocado upon which I make my judgement. It appears to be the most common here rather than the Hass we see so much of when travelling.

Marks & Spencer started importing the Carla to the UK from DR a couple of years back

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/f...rla-avocado-FIVE-times-bigger-weighs-1kg.html

The giant Carla avocado originates from a single tree found in an orchard in the Ocoa River valley of the Dominican Republic in 1994.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
The Dominican Republic produces 420 thousand tons of avocados annually. If only 8% of the world's total export of 400 million tons is exported from the DR, it = 320 thousand tons, therefore 100 thousand tons are consumed here. Is that possible?

BTW I bought two beauties today the size of melons.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The Dominican Republic produces 420 thousand tons of avocados annually. If only 8% of the world's total export of 400 million tons is exported from the DR, it = 320 thousand tons, therefore 100 thousand tons are consumed here. Is that possible?

BTW I bought two beauties today the size of melons.

Believe me they eat them a lot...in the campo many people must eat avocado daily with the daily meal. They sell big time at most road traffic light intersections in the city.

I like them as a side with a touch of virgin olive oil with lime.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
I eat half of a huge avocado or a whole small one daily. The downside is I'm trying to lose 15 lbs. It's either drop the avocados or cut back on my daily beer consumption......what the hell what's wrong with packing around an extra 15lbs

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Avocados for export are also picked when mature with a designated dry matter percentage.

Those same avocados can be found at Super Pola/Nacional and so on on a Tuesday morning and need several days to ripen.

Aren't we lucky you can buy the ripe ones at the side of the road or from the guy wandering through the barrio yelling out that he has good ones for lunch.

Maybe it is the Carla avocado upon which I make my judgement. It appears to be the most common here rather than the Hass we see so much of when travelling.

Marks & Spencer started importing the Carla to the UK from DR a couple of years back

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/f...rla-avocado-FIVE-times-bigger-weighs-1kg.html

The giant Carla avocado originates from a single tree found in an orchard in the Ocoa River valley of the Dominican Republic in 1994.

We have Carla avocados on our property. A BIL who grows them in Ocoa brought us the trees. The Carla from Ocoa are larger than ours, because it’s warmer on our finca. But they are soooooo good and buttery   

We have about 25 avocado trees. Carla, poponol and semil 34. 

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
We have Carla avocados on our property. A BIL who grows them in Ocoa brought us the trees. The Carla from Ocoa are larger than ours, because it’s warmer on our finca. But they are soooooo good and buttery   

We have about 25 avocado trees. Carla, poponol and semil 34. 

I bet those trees produce some large amounts of fruit.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I was just watching show other day on a big avocado supplier ...they literally put avocados into hibernation until needed in huge  fridge humidity coolers then 2 days before being shipped , they ad banana peels to room which ripens them pretty cool 

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
I LOVE DR avocado. We made several nice batches of guacamole while there this Feb.
The DR avocado's are twice the size of what we are able to buy in Canada and obviously a lot fresher.
We did have a lot of difficulty finding cilantro for the guacamole though. Super Pola in LT did not seem to carry it or we could not find it if they did.
Perhaps the Avocado lady walking the beach road should also sell cilantro ;)

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I LOVE DR avocado. We made several nice batches of guacamole while there this Feb.
The DR avocado's are twice the size of what we are able to buy in Canada and obviously a lot fresher.
We did have a lot of difficulty finding cilantro for the guacamole though. Super Pola in LT did not seem to carry it or we could not find it if they did.
Perhaps the Avocado lady walking the beach road should also sell cilantro ;)

Seriously you can't find cilantro or cilantro ancho at supermarkets here.

In my experience they are always the number one herbs available in every supermarket throughout DR.

I believe you post from LT and having lived there for a long time I assure you it is there everywhere including Super Pola and Lindo. Maybe you hit a bad day.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Well, my wife went for the cilantro so I am sure you are correct. However, she is generally a pretty good shopper. I did find it at a local calmado after the fact so it certainly does exist as you stated.
I sat in the pool bar so I suppose I don't have a lot of grounds to criticize her shipping I suppose ;)

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Well, my wife went for the cilantro so I am sure you are correct.
I sat in the pool bar so I suppose I don't have a lot of grounds to criticize ;)

There is always a bunch of fresh herbs at the end of the fresh vegetables areas (not the hanging boxed ones above) and you need to sort through the packets there. It is quite possible they sell out because these are key ingredients in Dominican cooking...along with those lovely avocados.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
I use cilantro everyday, never had a problem finding it, afterall how can you make a decent salsa without cilantro , garlic, onions, roma tomatoes, lime and a lot of Sambal Oelek.

Jan 7, 2016
Cilantro can be propagated using the rooted plants sold in the supermarket by just placing them in wet sand until the roots lengthen and then planted in pots or in the garden....continual fresh cilantro! I grew-up in Southern California where avocados are a way of life, like here. My father (in the 1950's) planted 3 different types of avocado trees in one hole in the backyard of our newly built home. Over the years, the trees produced tons of fruit, at 3 separate times of the year with 3 varieties. Nothing like fresh ones right off the tree!