Coral Flower Pots

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I hope describe this right -

Flower pots - urns - a solid chunk of coral stone carved out for a flower pot, whatever.
Not a cast pot....

I see them places for pretty $$ money and am sure they can be found at the source for a better price.

I expect Nagua might have a quarry....

Anybody know of anywhere to get them?

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I'm not aware of any coral rock on the island above sea level. It's possible as you can find it all over the florida keyes and similar locals that were reefs when the sea level was much higher (or experienced uplift). More likely the coral was taken from the ocean which is a bit sad because it takes decades to centuries to regrow. From what I've seen, there isn't much live coral on the north coast anymore anyways.

Gives me an idea as I can find this type of rock all over in parts of florida where it is unceremoniously dumped by road crews. I used to gather it for salt water aquariums.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Coral Stone is used extensively for flooring, walls, etc...

Looking at Celt's website from above...

the quarried stone looks like it used to be under water... no longer is

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It makes an awesome flooring choice. I really don't like the shiny slippery ceramic tile on floors. And the coral tile (coralina?) can be used anywhere, interior flooring, patios, baseboard.
Beautiful stuff.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Coralina and Pizzaro (?).... a marbled darker floor

You're right - the trick is to buy the unpolished....cheaper & better - IMO

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
... harder to get the dust and dirt out of the myriad of little depressions. I suppose it is available in a smoothed variation.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Most of the excavations I've seen in Santo Domingo and the cliffs along the malecon are fossilized coral.