Northcoast restaurant recommendations around Cofresi / Costambar

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
Hey folks...

Hopefully, I'm in the right place. Forum navigation isn't a strong point for me, and Tapatalk didn't seem to improve the situation. We have a couple of folks coming into Amber Cove this week on a cruise stop, so we're driving over from Santiago to have lunch with them. Could anybody offer any suggestions for a decent place to grab a bite? We're familiar with a few spots over in Sosúa and Cabarete, but I really didn't want to drive all the way over there just to eat and come back to the port. These folks are the older, calmer type - not interested in the bar scene. Just good food, preferably on/close to the water. Ideally between Amber Cove and Puerto Plata. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Sole Mio in Costambar. It's only about 15-20 minutes away. Best Italian restaurant I've ever eaten at. You may have to check and see if it's open in the afternoon though since your guests are arriving on a cruise ship they'll probably have to back by about five.

Last edited:

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
There's also a couple of places on Costambar beach near the water. Not as nice as Sole Mio, but a better view.

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
Why not go to Maimon for fish?

Lindsey
I've only ever been through that area once a couple years ago (normally, we drive over a different route, and come in through Cabarete). That day, we ate at Los Primos and were more than a little ill for the next day and a half. Are there some other places to try out around the area?

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
Sole Mio in Costambar. It's only about 15-20 minutes away. Best Italian restaurant I've ever eaten at. You may have to check and see if it's open in the afternoon though since your guests are arriving on a cruise ship they'll probably have to back by about five.
That sounds fantastic, but you're right - they don't open until 4:30pm

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
There's also a couple of places on Costambar beach near the water. Not as nice as Sole Mio, but a better view.
One more question. I'll be driving in. Is there reasonably close parking for beach access?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
We meet friends at the port with little problem and drive into pop for lunch, show them around a little and back to the boat with no problem.

Usually: Aguaceros Bar & Grill (??)... Not sure if this is the right place since Google Earth has changed. Easy to get to/from 5 located on the main beach road. The Fort is close and might be an option for fun street food and something to see. Parking is not a problem. An easy walk into central town park area and gift shops.

We have done this several times and is fun.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
There is an excellent Tex/mex restaurant on the main road in Cofresi on the same road as the Ocean World entrance. It has a nic e beach view and is open for lunch. Or in Costambar, you could go to any of the beach restaurants and be quite happy. I like El Carey or Estelle del Mar but there are others... you can check them out on Trip Advisor.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
One more question. I'll be driving in. Is there reasonably close parking for beach access?

Yes. You can park right in front of anywhere on Costambar Beach. I always tell people if you see more than one vehicle on the road in Costambar that's called "rush hour".

Dov1984

Sep 18, 2016
Hey folks...

Hopefully, I'm in the right place. Forum navigation isn't a strong point for me, and Tapatalk didn't seem to improve the situation. We have a couple of folks coming into Amber Cove this week on a cruise stop, so we're driving over from Santiago to have lunch with them. Could anybody offer any suggestions for a decent place to grab a bite? We're familiar with a few spots over in Sosúa and Cabarete, but I really didn't want to drive all the way over there just to eat and come back to the port. These folks are the older, calmer type - not interested in the bar scene. Just good food, preferably on/close to the water. Ideally between Amber Cove and Puerto Plata. Thanks in advance.

Big Lee's BBQ on the Malecón in Puerto Plata

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
Thanks everyone. We managed to successfully retrieve them from the port. We had lunch in a little spot in Costambar whose name I can't remember now (we'd planned on Estrella del Mar, but they weren't open), and took them over to see the Fortaleza.