Carretera Constanza - Sabana Larga

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
Hello,

Can anyone tell me the current state of the road between these two towns? Manageable with 4WD?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Hello,

Can anyone tell me the current state of the road between these two towns? Manageable with 4WD?

I just did it recently with two friends (in the rain), had an absolute blast (my 3rd time)! It's a fantastic drive. 4-wheel drive can easily do it.

[video=youtube;cX9F4vdyWT0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9F4vdyWT0&t=9s[/video]

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
Great! I was considering doing the Constanza - Guayabal road but there is really not enough info on that for me to waste X number of hours just trying to find out if it's even navegable. We're on a schedule with some flexibility but not a ton, so I think I'll just do this route instead.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Great! I was considering doing the Constanza - Guayabal road but there is really not enough info on that for me to waste X number of hours just trying to find out if it's even navegable. We're on a schedule with some flexibility but not a ton, so I think I'll just do this route instead.

I did Constanza to Padre las Casas a few years ago in my Avanlanche. I believe you leave Constanza on the same road and then there is a split where you turn off to the right for Guabal and further on to Padre las Casas (much of this road doesn't even show on maps. It is drivable with 4X4 but I wouldn't recommend it with a truck as wide as mine. There were some touchy areas along some cliffs where the clearance was much less than I prefer. The country is just beautiful and the people are the greatest I ever met anywhere in the country.

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
So the car rental company didn't have the 4WD available, and I'm stuck with a 2WD SUV. Nice and brand new, but still 2WD. What's the opinion on doing Constanza - Sabana Larga in a 2WD SUV?