AGM batteries

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Has anyone had any experience using AGM batteries to power an inverter? Where in Santo Domingo can they be purchased, and for how much? Thanks in advance.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I do have experience AGM batteries on a yacht as house batteries and also powering an inverter. I used 3 8D AGM's and replaced my 6 Trojan T-105's. I was tired of maintenance, and they were about the same cost overall. The key to all batteries is that they all have cycle life (how many times they can be recharged). The difference was that the AGM's amp hours fell off as they aged and going through the equalizing process didn't help. Bottom line is that they didn't last as long as the T105's and properly cared for, this is the best bank for your buck. Below is an article about maintaining your T-105's and getting max life from them. You can run them flat and they will come back. Doing this with AGM's kills them.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/battery-maintenance/

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
AGMs have a lesser life compared to properly maintained wet cell deep-cycle batteries.

I spent a ton of $$$ on AGM's on my boat when they first came out. A ton. Didn't last half as long as Trojan reds...

I've had poor experience with AGM motorcycle batteries, too. I much prefer wet cell.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I recall people touting AGM's as better than wet cell batteries for inverter systems here. The only thing they are better for is they don't need the maintenance of wet cell batteries. That is the only way they are better.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I've had a couple in my truck for a year or so now. It's a short time, but I've had no complaints yet. The maintenance issue can be a big thing. The time I'm here I don't want to waste on batteries. What's the best strategy for maintaining them: 1. Keeping them attached to a maintenance device that's on all the time that the power is or 2. Charging them only when they go below a certain threshhold.