6 Million Platanos a day

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
jejeje, my contribution to the count is "0" per day. I have seen prices from 6 pesos per plantano to as much as 25 pesos a piece.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I eat them on a rare occasion but I see truckloads being unload every morning at the three colmados I can see from the school.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I eat them on a rare occasion but I see truckloads being unload every morning at the three colmados I can see from the school.

I eat them far more rarely. Every time I do, I wonder what they have that makes them a viable food item and not a weed I would pull out before it grows.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I can take them or leave them. I prefer a good baked or smashed potato. I can see why they are so popular though. Transplant one and you soon have three. They grow like a weed and are difficult to kill off. Super easy for your typical household to grow with minimal upkeep. Plantains and bananas, the beginnings of every garden here. I might eat more if they were easier to peel and not quite so sticky.

A viable food source for those without much money or a green thumb (thumb is probably black most of the time).

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
Its a superfood. Plantains are delicous, versatile and nutritous. I'll take plantains any day over potatos.

1. Plantains helps regulate the digestive system because of its high fiber content.
2. Potassium rich
3. just one serving provides 35% of daily Vitamin c
4. 36% of vitamin A (just one serving)
5. Vitamin B6 and magnesium rich

-Boil it, bake it , fry it , roast , grill it
-Use the leaves to wrap tamales and other foods
-Ground into flour for porridges and also use with milk for infants

I grew up on this stuff in South America and continue to love me some plantains .
And if as one poster says it's for the poor , then they are doing great.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr AE just hired a new caretaker for our finca.  Today he showed up with 75 platano trees to plant at the back of our property.   OMG

Mr AE binges on them here. 2-3 for mangu breakfast, tostones for lunch. I’ll eat a couple of tostones, but no mangu. I will splurge on a mofongo occasionally. 

When we’re in the US, the menu is decidedly different. 

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have never really gotten use to eating plantains, especially boiled. Maduro, sometimes but I don't know I just do not like the taste. Amazing numbers though, but then again it is a staple in the DR household.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have never really gotten use to eating plantains, especially boiled. Maduro, sometimes but I don't know I just do not like the taste. Amazing numbers though, but then again it is a staple in the DR household.

OMG the boiled ones are awful. Maduros are good fried......have you ever had them in a pastelon???  Delicioso 

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Love Testones but they love my butt and waistline. They are part of many, many daily diets in the DR. Cheap and readily available. The potato of Latin America.

Careful with the spelling of tostones.....testones may be closer to rocky mountain oysters

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have no doubt about the consumption, but 6 million sure sounds like a lot. That is saying every single person on this rock eats a half a plantain every day.

I have a hard time believing that.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
I have no doubt about the consumption, but 6 million sure sounds like a lot. That is saying every single person on this rock eats a half a plantain every day.

I have a hard time believing that.

Sounds about right ... half the population could be eating one plantain a day (could be for breakfast, lunch or dinner) , very possible

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sounds about right ... half the population could be eating one plantain a day (could be for breakfast, lunch or dinner) , very possible

Mr AE had two for breakfast (mangu) and two for lunch (tostones). He had protein at both meals, but I’m sure lots only eat the platanos.   It adds up fast. I can only imagine how many a place like Adrian Tropical goes through in a day. 

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I eat them here in Canada and in RD.
Especially like them with onions.
At times, because I do not eat Potatoes, i use them with salt cod instead of potatoes.
Not big on fried food but at times will accept them fried ,instead of french fries.
In my opinion I think that batata fits right in there with plantains.Russell.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Its a superfood. Plantains are delicous, versatile and nutritous. I'll take plantains any day over potatos.

1. Plantains helps regulate the digestive system because of its high fiber content.
2. Potassium rich

I grew up on this stuff in South America and continue to love me some plantains .

It's a comfort food. Plain, kind of blah, but mixed with garlic, onions, and peppers.... Rock on!

It's addictive when you get over the hump.

I find that it really calms my autoimmune inflamed digestive system. Pretty much a super food.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i eat all dominican starches but i still prefer potatoes every time. lately i make platanos into a curry and they are much more palatable that way.

boil green platanos, set aside. in a deep pan warm a spoon of sesame oil. toss in some coriander seeds, mustard seeds and few chilies (dried or fresh). when seeds start to crackle add chopped onion. fry until the onion is translucent. add grated coconut and fry for few more minutes, until the raw smell goes away. take the pan off the heat. move the content into a blender, add enough water to bee able to blend it into a thin paste. pour the paste back into the pan, bring to boil. add turmeric and more chili powder if required. add platanos, diced into small pieces. cook for a bit more. add more water if needed. voila.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

2. Potassium rich

As for Tostones, my wife eats them all the time. If I eat one, by the time I try to eat a second one, my throat is already constricting and refusing any attempts I might have to eat it. Never had anything made with green plantains that I could eat and enjoy. I could never ever eat a boiled green plantain. Simply not possible. I would rather eat grass.

Ripe/Maduro plantains are another story and I am fine with them on occasion.