Kia K5 should I Buy one

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
The bad.....

I know many of them where Taxis. If they are/were orange stay away. Another thing I've noticed is some say taxi in bold letters inder the hood. I am aware they are imported from asia and there is no true way to know mileage. Carfax ect.

The good
I have owned several Kias and have loved them. They are a great Value and the K5 is a nice looking car for around 10k. Usd...

Looking to get some other opinions. Anything else I should look out for? Any other cars you can think of less than 5 years old that is spacious and gets good Gas that is should consider??

alhasdo

May 11, 2017
Well I like KIA Rio with gasoline there are spacious and Hyunday Sonatra n20 Gas Propane they are nice car that I've droven in this country... but nowadays your best election is get an economic car such as Kia Picanto or Suzuki Swift...

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
Well I like KIA Rio with gasoline there are spacious and Hyunday Sonatra n20 Gas Propane they are nice car that I've droven in this country... but nowadays your best election is get an economic car such as Kia Picanto or Suzuki Swift...

The K5 has propane gas as well. I'm 6' 3 230 pounds. So a sedan is a must. I like the Sonata N20. They are a little cheaper and seen to be a great value. But the K5 is much nicer IMO

I'm not familiar with the Rio. I'll have to check it out. Thanks

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
The K5 has propane gas as well. I'm 6' 3 230 pounds. So a sedan is a must. I like the Sonata N20. They are a little cheaper and seen to be a great value. But the K5 is much nicer IMO

I'm not familiar with the Rio. I'll have to check it out.
Thanks

The Rio is small ( a Hyundai Accent, if you are familiar with that car)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

the N20 is a wonderful car for the money. it is not exactly a Camry, but it is half the price, and more than half the car. the trick is knowing how to buy them, because you can get a great car for the money, or you can get a real stinker, since many of them were taxicabs.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

the Hyundai y20 is basically a k5..equally nice car..

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
the N20 is a wonderful car for the money. it is not exactly a Camry, but it is half the price, and more than half the car. the trick is knowing how to buy them, because you can get a great car for the money, or you can get a real stinker, since many of them were taxicabs.

I would say they do ride nice but I wonder once they get near 80K if they hold up, probably not like a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord ?

And they do come in a great neon orange !

I am just not aware of how the gas engines hold up, certainly the power and mileage is reduced which might offset much of the savings from the cheaper fuel.

As long as the tank is under the car and not in the trunk OK. I don't want to expose the dead bodies I haul around to the gas station attendant when refueling

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I would say they do ride nice but I wonder once they get near 80K if they hold up, probably not like a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord ?

And they do come in a great neon orange !

I am just not aware of how the gas engines hold up, certainly the power and mileage is reduced which might offset much of the savings from the cheaper fuel.

As long as the tank is under the car and not in the trunk OK. I don't want to expose the dead bodies I haul around to the gas station attendant when refueling

do you know anybody who owns one?

do you know anybody who sells them?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
do you know anybody who owns one?

do you know anybody who sells them?

I rode in them twice in Santo Domingo with UBER. I don't personally know anyone who owns one. I did have a firend in the states who had a Sonata he loved.

As seeing them for sale - heck every other car for sales seems to be a K5 or N20.

I assume you may have checked some of them out for clients ? - I'd be interested to here who they hold up. I wonder why so may are taken out of service in Korea an sent overseas ?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I rode in them twice in Santo Domingo with UBER. I don't personally know anyone who owns one. I did have a firend in the states who had a Sonata he loved.

As seeing them for sale - heck every other car for sales seems to be a K5 or N20.

I assume you may have checked some of them out for clients ? - I'd be interested to here who they hold up. I wonder why so may are taken out of service in Korea an sent overseas ?

i know guys in Santiago who sell them. they are basically imported by a small group of guys, who turn around and resell them, generally in bulk. they come here in all different guises. some are really pieces of crap, and they get refurbished, by way of paint jobs and general cleanup. some guys just buy those for parts, and not for resale. then there are the regular old cabs, some of which are in great shape, because maintenance requirements in Korea are high. many are leases, many are rentals. the reason why they get decommissioned is because after a certain number of years, insurance becomes prohibitive, and it is pointless keeping the cars. in Japan, they get sent to the junkyard after 5 years, but people from countries in the caribbean, and Africa, buy them because the steering wheel is in the right place..

and, yes, i have found N20s for guys here, and they have run pretty well.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
i know guys in Santiago who sell them. they are basically imported by a small group of guys, who turn around and resell them, generally in bulk. they come here in all different guises. some are really pieces of crap, and they get refurbished, by way of paint jobs and general cleanup. some guys just buy those for parts, and not for resale. then there are the regular old cabs, some of which are in great shape, because maintenance requirements in Korea are high. many are leases, many are rentals. the reason why they get decommissioned is because after a certain number of years, insurance becomes prohibitive, and it is pointless keeping the cars. in Japan, they get sent to the junkyard after 5 years, but people from countries in the caribbean, and Africa, buy them because the steering wheel is in the right place..

and, yes, i have found N20s for guys here, and they have run pretty well.

Well junkyard parts will be easy to find in a few years, as they seem to be everywhere now
I have read the timing belt interval on the Hyundai is 60K-80K instead of 100K-120K

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well junkyard parts will be easy to find in a few years, as they seem to be everywhere now
I have read the timing belt interval on the Hyundai is 60K-80K instead of 100K-120K

the parts are already easy to get. any junkyard in Santiago has anything you can want. i have seen full front clips in some yards in Santo Domingo..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Prior to 2010 the were identical. Then the design changed alot. Both are nice. But I like the optima design much better. But I understand that's just a prefrence thing.

yes, the K5 is a nicer look. i think the mechanicals are roughly the same, it is mainly a metter of sheetmetal and trim.

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
Don PISTOLAS

you sound like a big shooter - when are going to pull the trigger ???

hahahaha........Friday

My Family and I will be relocating to DR very soon. My wife anddaughter first in August, then myself in September. We already have a mitsubishi Pajero, but I'll be looking to buy immediately upon arrival. Besides one, I have not noticed many Expats on the forum from the Valverde De Mao Area.. (I Have Lurched on and off for years)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
have you 'lurched' in & out or 'lurked' ??

FYI,
I just bought in January - when I was out of the country for Christmas.
I had an emissary to the legwork... I just had to send the money

I highly recommend that route... armchair shopping ... no stress.
Yes - I did the shopping (search and pre-selection) (you need not if you have a list)... he did the physical inspection and even negotiated the price.

Well worth it....for me.