After Permanent Residency.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
From reading this forum I heard about the Residencia Difinitiva. Also Citizenship. Does Dominican Republic allow dual citizenship with the USA? Anyone know the current rate lawyers charge for Difinitiva or Naturalization?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Yes you can have Dual Citizenship with the US. I have had it for 14 years. I highly recommend getting it when you get Residency. With Residency the DR can screw you around all they want. Higher prices, jumping through hoops every few years, etc.

Once you are a Citizen you have the same rights as people born here, except you cannot run for President. Every 10 years I get a new Cedula at any office in the DR for free. And every 6 years I renew my passport. Also at any passport office. Of course you pay a small fee for passport renewal as you would in the US.

As far as rates it has been too long ago for me to help with that one.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
To be honest you don't need a lawyer for citizenship and in my experience (from talking to the head of Naturalization) they prefer you to do it on your own. You need to just get together the list of things they require which are all on the website here http://mi.gob.do/transparencia/index.php/servicios/naturalizacion, decide which category of naturalization you can apply for and submit everything properly. You do need to speak some Spanish, not only for the written test but also the Head of Naturalization will interview you. Be warned, the requirements change so you need to keep on top of it. Is is worth it? Financially definitely, and saves all those pesky trips to Santo Domingo. And you can enter Dominican Masterchef.

Matilda

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
To get the definitive you have to have had your permanent for 10 years. Easy process you can do yourself.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Thank all of you for the information. I am looking into getting lawyers help and price tag hovering over 1K US. I checked the link for the required documents and it is a bit confusing. I wonder if I get a smart local person to help me if I can pull this off without an attorney. Sometimes I get the feeling that its a simple process to those who know. And for the attorneys its easy because they have the experience and the connections to make it move faster. I am sure a large part goes to the part making it move faster VIP so to speak. Attorneys are not really hammering me price wise. Just need to get paid for their time accordingly. I hear there is a 50 question test written and interview. My Spanish mostly consists of vocabulary devoid of conjugation, tense, and person, also poorly articulated. But some people say many have passed who speak and know less than I do. Then they say only 3 out of the 50 questions will be used. So you can learn the material. Any advise on this? I may make a visit to the DR Embassy here in NYC and ask some questions. I will also ask about the tourist visa and overstaying that tread has conflicting information.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thank all of you for the information. I am looking into getting lawyers help and price tag hovering over 1K US. I checked the link for the required documents and it is a bit confusing. I wonder if I get a smart local person to help me if I can pull this off without an attorney. Sometimes I get the feeling that its a simple process to those who know. And for the attorneys its easy because they have the experience and the connections to make it move faster. I am sure a large part goes to the part making it move faster VIP so to speak. Attorneys are not really hammering me price wise. Just need to get paid for their time accordingly. I hear there is a 50 question test written and interview. My Spanish mostly consists of vocabulary devoid of conjugation, tense, and person, also poorly articulated. But some people say many have passed who speak and know less than I do. Then they say only 3 out of the 50 questions will be used. So you can learn the material. Any advise on this? I may make a visit to the DR Embassy here in NYC and ask some questions. I will also ask about the tourist visa and overstaying that tread has conflicting information.

I studied using one of my wife's forth grade students as my study partener and it helped both of us because she helped me with the Spanish and I helped her with the history of the DR. The questions are relatively easy, other than a couple that are paragraph long answers. I thought the test would be extremely difficult even after extensive studying but it turned out to be relatively easy. They aren't expecting you to be fluent and will help you a bit if you are struggling for a word. I had to answer 10 or 11 questions.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

As Bob said it is around 10 to 12 out of the 40 questions they ask - it is now a written test and most are multiple choice, just a couple you have to write. As to the requirements - the ones based on marriage to a Dominican are simple enough, I am not sure about those for normal naturalization, but I am sure you can do without a lawyer. If you have any specific questions on the requirements feel free to pm me.

Matilda