Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sad day in Altamira

In 2011, we bought some old coffee farm land near Altamira from the Bisono family - old scions of hidalgos from way back. They have hundreds of acres of mountainous coffee and other miscellaneous agricultural production in the area. The younger members of the family are generally out of the country, we hear, but elderly Roberto has continued to manage operations for the family. Today, April 7 2018, as Roberto and his son-in-law drove up to meet their local farm managers and make payroll, they were ambushed by unknown assailants in one or two SUVs with rapid-firing automatic guns of some type - the rapid B-R-R-R-R-P of gunfire was audible for a half-mile around the deserted stretch of road. Unfortunately such gunfire is not entirely uncommon in the area. We heard it but were only annoyed. But moto drivers plying their trade on the road soon encountered the scene. Both victims dead - several bullet holes in the windshield and hood of the car, the driver's side window shot out, the driver dead in the road and elderly Roberto slumped dead in the passenger seat.

I just want to remind everyone that this lovely place has a few bad actors running around. Don't be conspicuous, don't be predictable in your travels, don't take a day of your short life for granted. Nobody is immune from a violent encounter. None was more charming and erudite than kindly Roberto Bisono of Santiago. I certainly will miss him.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

What a shame. RIP

Admin
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kg4jxt View Post
    In 2011, we bought some old coffee farm land near Altamira from the Bisono family - old scions of hidalgos from way back. They have hundreds of acres of mountainous coffee and other miscellaneous agricultural production in the area. The younger members of the family are generally out of the country, we hear, but elderly Roberto has continued to manage operations for the family. Today, April 7 2018, as Roberto and his son-in-law drove up to meet their local farm managers and make payroll, they were ambushed by unknown assailants in one or two SUVs with rapid-firing automatic guns of some type - the rapid B-R-R-R-R-P of gunfire was audible for a half-mile around the deserted stretch of road. Unfortunately such gunfire is not entirely uncommon in the area. We heard it but were only annoyed. But moto drivers plying their trade on the road soon encountered the scene. Both victims dead - several bullet holes in the windshield and hood of the car, the driver's side window shot out, the driver dead in the road and elderly Roberto slumped dead in the passenger seat.

I just want to remind everyone that this lovely place has a few bad actors running around. Don't be conspicuous, don't be predictable in your travels, don't take a day of your short life for granted. Nobody is immune from a violent encounter. None was more charming and erudite than kindly Roberto Bisono of Santiago. I certainly will miss him.
    I am sorry for your loss and of the families of these men.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Mateo 5:4

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Very shocking and tragic. What was stolen? Did they have any enemies?

7. Dislikes HIRAM disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    Very shocking and tragic. What was stolen? Did they have any enemies?
    My guess would be the following part of the OP statement...
    Today, April 7 2018, as Roberto and his son-in-law drove up to meet their local farm managers
    and make payroll
    R.I.P.

9. Likes cavok liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Found the following article about the robbery.

Alatamira Robbery

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all, condolences to the grieving families.

Going a bit offtopic, maybe the OP can tell us a bit more about the " social-climate" of la Sierra, it would be appriciated.
    We go up that road regularly, like 2 or 3 times a month. The road is not that good, BTW.
    My impressions of la Sierra is that the folk up there, are very, very decent chaps. Very open, very welcome-ing. So its kind of scary that stuff like this happens

Thanks.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

very sad, may they rest in peace.

this is very similar to a murder of another farmer in puerto plata area, few years back:
    https://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...ntes-DY1122498
    http://diariopuertoplata.com.do/viol...-puerto-plata/
    he was also carrying money with him that was stolen in the attack.

13. Likes kg4jxt liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast