Sad day in Altamira

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
In 2011, we bought some old coffee farm land near Altamira from the Bisono family - old scions of hidalgos from way back. They have hundreds of acres of mountainous coffee and other miscellaneous agricultural production in the area. The younger members of the family are generally out of the country, we hear, but elderly Roberto has continued to manage operations for the family. Today, April 7 2018, as Roberto and his son-in-law drove up to meet their local farm managers and make payroll, they were ambushed by unknown assailants in one or two SUVs with rapid-firing automatic guns of some type - the rapid B-R-R-R-R-P of gunfire was audible for a half-mile around the deserted stretch of road. Unfortunately such gunfire is not entirely uncommon in the area. We heard it but were only annoyed. But moto drivers plying their trade on the road soon encountered the scene. Both victims dead - several bullet holes in the windshield and hood of the car, the driver's side window shot out, the driver dead in the road and elderly Roberto slumped dead in the passenger seat.

I just want to remind everyone that this lovely place has a few bad actors running around. Don't be conspicuous, don't be predictable in your travels, don't take a day of your short life for granted. Nobody is immune from a violent encounter. None was more charming and erudite than kindly Roberto Bisono of Santiago. I certainly will miss him.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
In 2011, we bought some old coffee farm land near Altamira from the Bisono family - old scions of hidalgos from way back. They have hundreds of acres of mountainous coffee and other miscellaneous agricultural production in the area. The younger members of the family are generally out of the country, we hear, but elderly Roberto has continued to manage operations for the family. Today, April 7 2018, as Roberto and his son-in-law drove up to meet their local farm managers and make payroll, they were ambushed by unknown assailants in one or two SUVs with rapid-firing automatic guns of some type - the rapid B-R-R-R-R-P of gunfire was audible for a half-mile around the deserted stretch of road. Unfortunately such gunfire is not entirely uncommon in the area. We heard it but were only annoyed. But moto drivers plying their trade on the road soon encountered the scene. Both victims dead - several bullet holes in the windshield and hood of the car, the driver's side window shot out, the driver dead in the road and elderly Roberto slumped dead in the passenger seat.

I just want to remind everyone that this lovely place has a few bad actors running around. Don't be conspicuous, don't be predictable in your travels, don't take a day of your short life for granted. Nobody is immune from a violent encounter. None was more charming and erudite than kindly Roberto Bisono of Santiago. I certainly will miss him.

I am sorry for your loss and of the families of these men.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
First of all, condolences to the grieving families.

Going a bit offtopic, maybe the OP can tell us a bit more about the " social-climate" of la Sierra, it would be appriciated.
We go up that road regularly, like 2 or 3 times a month. The road is not that good, BTW.
My impressions of la Sierra is that the folk up there, are very, very decent chaps. Very open, very welcome-ing. So its kind of scary that stuff like this happens :(

Thanks.

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
Hi malko, I really like the people up here around La Sierra. They are mostly pretty poor farmers - lots of avocados and bananas. There are a few big landowners and many peasants reliant on a burro instead of a moto; it is like living in the 17th century sometimes - only with cellphones. The village known locally as Cabirmal (despite that maps show Cabirmal to be farther west), has a relatively elderly population, but they are very friendly. Though my wife and I are gringos, they try to make us part of their families. The local elementary school has about 20 kids - more than in the past because we have set them up with a few old donated computers and an inverter. It isn't much, but it is more than some other schools, so acts as a magnet for enrollment.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
My condolences to Bisonno Family.
This is not the tactics of ''Highway men'' but that of brutal murderers without conscience.
Find them and string them up! That's my approach.
I have a farm in El Campo and the folk there are so very respectful and pleased that they can call us friends.
So I even cannot imagine what the folk in this situation are suffering.... their whole way of life has just been challenged.

Kg4jxt you are my kind of people, keep up the good work.

Russell

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hi malko, I really like the people up here around La Sierra. They are mostly pretty poor farmers - lots of avocados and bananas. There are a few big landowners and many peasants reliant on a burro instead of a moto; it is like living in the 17th century sometimes - only with cellphones. The village known locally as Cabirmal (despite that maps show Cabirmal to be farther west), has a relatively elderly population, but they are very friendly. Though my wife and I are gringos, they try to make us part of their families. The local elementary school has about 20 kids - more than in the past because we have set them up with a few old donated computers and an inverter. It isn't much, but it is more than some other schools, so acts as a magnet for enrollment.

The world over...

the younger ones move on to better lives in a city....
no one left to run the farm.... Canada/USA is no different

Tax incentives in Canada to preserve farms in families....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I greeted and gave an abrazo to
Roberto just last week. He was a student of mine and then a colleague for several years.
He and Sonia Guzman Klang were top execs at the university for many years, taking time off, like several others, to serve President Antonio Guzman's administration.

May God rest his soul...

HB

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Just speculating but looks like an inside job with people who knew them and killed them as they probably would recognize them. Sometimes its people in the banks who tip off the shooters.   Who knows but police investigations are so weak here they will probably get away.  bTW anyone new to the country this is a very rare occurance.  

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Tragic. You mention payroll, but this just doesn't feel like a robbery. These are weapons of drug gangs and political assassinations. Aduanas is mentioned in the articles. I can't help but think that it is drug related. Somebody that didn't turn a blind eye to certain shipments.

Not sure. It just doesn't feel like the true story is being told.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Tragic. You mention payroll, but this just doesn't feel like a robbery. These are weapons of drug gangs and political assassinations. Aduanas is mentioned in the articles. I can't help but think that it is drug related. Somebody that didn't turn a blind eye to certain shipments.

good grief. the murdered man was a director of aduanas during the presidency of antonio guzman (1978-1982).

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
good grief. the murdered man was a director of aduanas during the presidency of antonio guzman (1978-1982).

Hey, you never know. Some people hold a grudge for a long time.:rolleyes:

One would think the police would be able to figure out who has machine guns. Loose lips and all that...

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
Local speculation, for what it is worth (and PN seem to place inordinate value in it), is that this could be an outcome of cumulative personal grievances between branches of an extended family - grievances perhaps connected to Sr. Bisono's work with the Aduana, and/or grievances arising from disputes in one or more family-owned businesses. These speculations extend beyond my rudimentary fluency in Dominican language, alas. But as some of you have suggested, this was perhaps not a typical hold-up. I still have heard nothing of what amount of money may have been taken.