Dominican Marriage/Long Term Relationship Preference (Gallup 1995)

Do you think these perceptions from 1995 have changed?

• Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Found a poll done by Gallup in 1995 (yes, the same company that gauges political trends, consumer trends, and other social trends) concerning Dominican marriage/long term relationship preferences based on skin color and nationality (when it comes to Haitians and 'North Americans' -aka, Americans and Canadians, more so Americans-).

Even though this was done in 1995, I personally think not much has changed. If anything, there might be a greater rejection towards the Haitians due to all the scandals that has taken place in the past decade or so.

Please notice the color code in the graphs isn't standardized.
For question 1: dark green = doesn't care, purple = brown, pink = white, light green = black.
For question 2: dark green = disapproves, purple = doesn't care, pink = approves
For question 3: dark green = doesn't care, purple = approves, pink = disapproves

These were the results:

1. Would you prefer that a close family member would marry a white, a brown, or a black person?
Answers: 56.7% doesn't care, 26.2% prefers brown, 11.8% prefers white, 2.8% prefers black, rest doesn't know or didn't answer.
RD1.jpg

Same question as 1, but by income levels.
High Incomes: 67.7% doesn't care, 13.8% prefers brown, 12.3% prefers white, 1.5% prefers black
Middle Incomes: 65.1% doesn't care, 21.9% prefers brown, 11.2% prefers white, 0% prefers black
Low Incomes: 54.5% doesn't care, 27.7% prefers brown, 11.9% prefers white, 3.4% prefers black
RD2.jpg

Same question as 1, but by gender.
Male: 56.8% doesn't care, 25.7% prefers brown, 11.7% prefers white, 3.2% prefers black
Female: 56.6% doesn't care, 26.6% prefers brown, 12.0% prefers white, 2.5% prefers black
RD3.jpg

Same question as 1, but by age groups.
18 - 24 years old: 56.5% doesn't care, 27.6% prefers brown, 11.4% prefers white, 2.9% prefers black
25 - 39 years old: 57.7% doesn't care, 24.2% prefers brown, 12.0% prefers white, 3.7% prefers black
40 - 54 years old: 58.0% doesn't care, 26.3% prefers brown, 11.5% prefers white, 1.7% prefers black
55 - + years old: 53.8% doesn't care, 28.6% prefers brown, 12.4% prefers white, 2.4% prefers black
RD4.jpg

2. Would you prefer that a close family member would marry a Haitian?
Answers: 51.2% disapproves, 36.3% doesn't care, 11.6% approves
RD5.jpg

Same question as 2, but by income levels.
High Incomes: 32.3% disapproves, 52.3% doesn't care, 15.4% approves
Middle Incomes: 40.2% disapproves, 46.2% doesn't care, 11.8% approves
Low Incomes: 54.3% disapproves, 33.5% doesn't care, 11.3% approves
RD6.jpg

3. Would you approve or disapprove if a close family member would marry a North American?
Answers: 44.2% doesn't care, 40.8% approves, 12.3% disapproves
RD7.jpg

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think the preference of today would swing even further in favour of white.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree with dv8, the past 10 years I’ve heard more and more Dominicans becoming anti-Haitian. I’ve also, unbelievably, heard one of our neighbors with young daughters is drumming into their heads that they need to marry a Canadian. Specifically Canadian, an American or European will not do. 

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I agree with dv8, the past 10 years I’ve heard more and more Dominicans becoming anti-Haitian. I’ve also, unbelievably, heard one of our neighbors with young daughters is drumming into their heads that they need to marry a Canadian. Specifically Canadian, an American or European will not do. 
Marry a Canadian? Can you tell them to come here please?

What is it that they think a Canadian can offer them? What a naive statement on their part.

-MP.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Nice visa choices.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Marry a Canadian? Can you tell them to come here please?

What is it that they think a Canadian can offer them? What a naive statement on their part.

-MP.

In her particular case, I think it’s because a local girl married a French Canadian (his English is abysmal, we have to communicate in Spanish, and I’m not fluent).  He moved here, built a small hotel with a pool, she lives very nicely. They have a son who’s about 20 now. 

I’m the only other foreigner with a home here. 

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I agree with dv8, the past 10 years I’ve heard more and more Dominicans becoming anti-Haitian. I’ve also, unbelievably, heard one of our neighbors with young daughters is drumming into their heads that they need to marry a Canadian. Specifically Canadian, an American or European will not do
Interesting any particular reason?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
In her particular case, I think it’s because a local girl married a French Canadian (his English is abysmal, we have to communicate in Spanish, and I’m not fluent).  He moved here, built a small hotel with a pool, she lives very nicely. They have a son who’s about 20 now. 

I’m the only other foreigner with a home here. 

Yes, definitely a limited view of Canadians. One guy and all must choose Canadians. It is too broad of a statement especially in certain parts of Canada now that do not look like Canada at all. At least not the Canada I used to know. I say this to myself everyday. Many French Canadians struggle with English and their Spanish is horrible. Bad pronunciation and stress placed on the wrong syllable.

Oui, c’est vrai.

-MP.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

Trump/Merkel effect? :p

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I agree with dv8, the past 10 years I’ve heard more and more Dominicans becoming anti-Haitian.

As the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt. Before the current PLD consecutive mandate, very few Domis got to actually interact with Haitians, outside the bateyes, border provinces and the little Haiti ghetto near the Colonial Zone over here in the capi. I myself used to be quite in the dark about them when I was a kid and teen, and only got to interact with them when I got down to the Zona to buy my yearly school utensils.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Dominican men talk among themselves all of the time - especially those working in the large hotels on the east coast. They all say/think the same things about the different nationalities:

Canadian women are very controlling but the visa (post marriage) is one of the easiest to get.
American women are sex mad - want it all the time.
German or British women - no point in bothering as for the visas (post marriage) you need to be able to pass an exam in German/English and that can be difficult.
Spanish women - easiest as no language difficulties and the Schengen visa means you can travel all over Europe.

Matilda

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
There are many variables why some may think that Canada is a good place to live (Marry a Canadian).
There is Free Health Plan (Not the best in practice).
It is a big country with few people .
multi-culture society.... empowers Women,... everyone is ''supposed'' to be on equal grounds..(Ya right).

The initial photo looks good... to live in.. then reality hits.
Yes I am Canadian, and have asked many Refugees and Immigrants why they choose Canada.
Everyone had their own reasons and all seemed to be reasonable.

There is a Dominican Man living in my home in Canada. He loves it here , friendly people, relative safety , low crime and lots of opportunities.
That's what he told me ten minutes ago.

I have lived and worked in USA, Europe and the orient.
Spent a lot of time in the ''other Canada 4th world northern Culture''.. and Alaska.
But like my Late Wife, always glad to be back home in Nova Scotia.

I think, in my humble opinion, that it is all a matter of attitude and comfort zones.
Haitians also live in Canada ; one 'Her Excellency Michel Jean, Governor General of Canada' was born in Haiti.

Thats enough rambling. Time to watch a Hockey Game.
Russell