Not about Men or Women--Sorry. A virus, and nasty!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yep.....

That's the one I had my fight with just after getting home!!
I musta received it at least thirty times in the past two weeks....good thing I got a good up-to date (I update daily now) anti-virus program!!

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
I've gotten E-mails claiming to be from Microsoft asking to run the attachment, E-mails that say invoice with the invoice being an attachment, attachments labeled as something sexual ending in .jpg to make the user think it's a photo and to click on it, and attachments ending in .scr that cause the pop-up asking if I want to run it. All virus attachments.

If you use Outlook Express, you can go to properties on any unopened mail message and choose View Source. Scroll down to the section that says BASE24 encoded. If the text start with something like:

Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <MS2isg93VeV2p4>

TVqQAAM .....

It is probably a virus. Delete it without opening.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Jim for getting all techie on us

Really appreciate that bit of info. may really help...

I like getting to know these computers a little better each day..

HB, now a little wiser...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There has been a lot of information from security sources about those messages supposedly coming from Microsoft. If you find one in your inbox, immediately delete without opening. It contains a virus that will immediately attack your address book, using your addresses to send messages that spread the virus.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Do I have it?

I keep on getting these strange e-mails from different people every time that I do not, but are obviously from the same person. There is no attatchement, and nothing in the body, but it says it is like 200k. Titles were like a fun online game, Hey, etc. Only once I got a message in the body, it said that I am the first person chosen to play in his game. It's freaky. Is this it? Or just some creepy person?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Sounds more like a freaky person......

Do you have an anti-virus program?
If not go to McAfee.com
They have an on-line scan that you can run to check your computer to see if it is infected. If it is there are directions to remove the virus if it can be done by the user. Otherwise you'll need a good anti virus program or a "techie" to do it for you.

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
Free anti virus program pretty Good

www.housecall.antivirus.com
from the makers of pc cillian free online scan catches most stuff Sammy
Ps just push scan now and avoid all the questions just pick your country and go.....

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Being penny wise and pound foolish

I spent $39.95 for two years of protection from McAfee.com

Over the past two years, i have had no major problems with viruses.

If I ever get email that I have not requested or don't know the source of, I just delete it.

MommC's advice about going to McAfee is very good. They will give you a free Virus Scan that will find and tell you how to remove any virus they discover. Norton (Symantec) will also do this for you. These guys make their money finding and fighting viruses and selling on line protection... Jeez, if this could be done with sex??...anyway it is worth the money: $29.95 for 1 year or $39.95 for two...

There are viruses out there that will inhibit (forbid) your computer from accessing the anti-virus sites. IF that happens you need to get a "techie"and fast!

HB

jt76

Jan 23, 2002
free updates

As being a poor college student, I find it very difficult to spend $20 on virus defenitions. So if you have norton antivirus it will update for free (using Liveupdate) or just go to their site and download directly. Also make sure you update windows, use the friendly update link found in the start menu.

danagos

Jan 1, 2002
Klez.E Virus

I started getting e-mails with the Klez.E virus shortly after contacting my hotel in the DR in February '02. The original mail came with a Codetel.net address. I don't open attachments from anyone unknown to me, either. Then found out my Norton/Symantec update had expired!

Immediately purchased the Norton Internet Security 2002 Upgrade with an e-mail firewall for US$39.95 including the "Live Update" feature. This was done online & I highly recommend it. It's easy to do. The annual fee is $10.00.

Check out this link for Symantec products:
http://www.symantecstore.com

Then got a Symantec Virus Scan for $69.95, there's also a $39.95 version. They talked me through all the steps on the phone. Luckily, we didn't find any virus in my computer.

I still get e-mails "bounced" off my IP. They don't go to anyone in my address book or come from me. Still, I get lot's of feedback from "Mail Administrator"s.

Since the attack isn't on a Gov't Institution or Corporate entity, there is little motivation for anyone to track down and prosecute the perpetrator. Protect yourself! Feel free to contact me in this regard.

Dan