Question about how much it costs to feed a family of 4 in the DR

Ankhenaton

Apr 8, 2018
Quick question. On average, how much would it cost to feed a family of 4 in Santo Domingo for two weeks (3 children and one adult)? Someone told me $15,000 pesos.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
That depends entirely on the diet. If they eat a typical Dominican diet of rice, beans, plantains, salami, eggs, cabagge, onions, tomatoes, lettuce and a little chicken it will be a lot less than 15,000. It costs us around 20,000 per month for 5 adults.

Ankhenaton

Apr 8, 2018
That depends entirely on the diet. If they eat a typical Dominican diet of rice, beans, plantains, salami, eggs, cabagge, onions, tomatoes, lettuce and a little chicken it will be a lot less than 15,000. It costs us around 20,000 per month for 5 adults.
They said, that it costs about 15,000 pesos to eat REALLY well for those two weeks. They did say it's typical for it to be less.

Thanks for your quick reply!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Quick question. On average, how much would it cost to feed a family of 4 in Santo Domingo for two weeks (3 children and one adult)? Someone told me $15,000 pesos.

1...who are you planning to feed?

2..what are you planning to feed them on?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I didn't ask them that. I'll ask and report back.

those are critical questions. if you are planning to feed three Dominican children, and one adult, the dietary realities are different than feeding three North American kids...Wendy's, McDonalds, etc...

you get the picture..

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
For a family of 4 (mine) it costs about $295.00 to $325.00 (US) From juices, meats, vegetables, rice, beans, pasta, cheese, bread, etc.. However our diet is not a typical Dominican diet. We do not eat a lot of rice and beans (maybe once a week). I shop around to minimize cost. Also that is average, sometimes it can be less, sometimes more. Just depends what you consider "really well".

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I sure this won't help, but my brother has a plaque on his wall that says,

I chose dogs over kids as I would rather fcuk up my carpets than my life. After having 3 kids.... he was right.

So back on topic my wife and I don't scrimp on food or drink and we spend about $75 usd per week. We also don't eat out much

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

You need to clarify your question? Are you cooking food in a kitchen or eating meals at a restaurant while on vacation?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
You need to clarify your question? Are you cooking food in a kitchen or eating meals at a restaurant while on vacation?

...if you are eating at restaurants in Santo Domingo..the price goes way up.......

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
In my opinion 15,000 pesos seems correct if you are going to eat a typical Dominican diet.

Ankhenaton

Apr 8, 2018
Yes, I know I made this thread a LONG time ago. My lady clarified what she said back then. She said about 15000 pesos is a lot for two weeks but for a month it's good in Santo Domingo.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes, I know I made this thread a LONG time ago. My lady clarified what she said back then. She said about 15000 pesos is a lot for two weeks but for a month it's good in Santo Domingo.
Prices have skyrocketed during the pandemic.
Depends on your family's diet. If they eat typical
then 15,000 a month sounds reasonable. If they
like to mix it up with western then I'd say tack on
another 50%.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
another 50%.

Some imported food has increased, but the local stuff hasn't changed much. Chicken prices are regulated and haven't increased, rice, water, beans, vegetables, bread are all the same price. Limes are super cheap right now at 35 pesos per pound. Pop, chips, chocolate....I haven't seen much increase at all except for the Bumble Bee canned tuna which has doubled.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
another 50%.

We're a family of four, and I agree with CristoRey above. Our food/basic supplies bill comes to a bit more than 20k a month at the moment. And that is not because of basic local food supplies, but due to the milk products our smallest eats/drinks and what our breakfast supplies (European bread/ham/cheese etc.) are, those increase the bill nicely... Local things (rice, oil, meat etc.) we tend to buy in bulk, so that part brings in savings...

Reactions: CristoRey