Larimar Mines

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
Worth visiting? If so, does anybody know the market rates for what larimar should go for?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Visit the small Larimar workshop/school/museum in La Cienaga and buy there is my advice. What they produce is cheap and good quality. There are also a few small shops with workshop in the back selling finished larimar too on the entrance road to Casa Bonita, and here they could direct you how to visit a local mine which are a long way up in the sierras and from what I have seen in photographs, probably not worth the effort.

http://camiperd.org/un-recinto-para-potenciar-la-belleza-del-larimar/

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
One of our poster (kcabral I think) is right on top of this. He lives in Neiba and knows all of the miners.

You might give a shout out to him.

HB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
One of our poster (kcabral I think) is right on top of this. He lives in Neiba and knows all of the miners.

You might give a shout out to him.

HB

HB if you meant kfrancis who lived in Cabral he passed away last year.

Matilda

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No.!!!!..he was in my house last year...He and I wrote to each other....time passes quickly

May he rest in peace..He was a very good friend.

HB

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I was just inside the mines...not for the faint hearted! First of all, you have to climb down a handmade (made from tree branches--Ala Gilligan's Island) ladder about 70 to 80ft down into the first section, and then it spiderwebs out from there. You can go down further, but i wouldn't recommend it because of the lack of oxygen and possible instability.

It was fascinating, weird, fun, scary and surreal all at once. But the climb up to the Larimar mine requires an SUV with 4x4 if wet, if dry, any SUV or truck can make it, but not a car. They look like this:

[video=youtube;0oCtWnxxCeQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oCtWnxxCeQ&t=34s[/video]

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A note about Kfrancis.

Over a year ago, probably like more than two years ago, my son was down south and ran out of money and fuel. I called Ken and he fixed the problem....no questions. Just fixed it. Friends like that are hard to come by. And today I was thinking of Marc Beland(?)....D@mn....

HB

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
A note about Kfrancis.

Over a year ago, probably like more than two years ago, my son was down south and ran out of money and fuel. I called Ken and he fixed the problem....no questions. Just fixed it. Friends like that are hard to come by. And today I was thinking of Marc Beland(?)....D@mn....

HB

I was driving through Cabral a couple of weeks ago and passing the brightly painted houses made me think of our past DR1 friend and great poster from those parts. I recall one of his last posts relating to a planned trip into the sierras.

People like him who gave us the wider picture of DR, and our good community friend frank12 too with such a fine post #7, were and are the real souls of DR1.