USA drivers license (can Police verify)

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
Hey fellow DR1'ers.....

Can the average Police car in Dominican Republic verify my USA drivers license info in Dom Rep?

Meaning, if I get pulled over as a tourist, hand over my drivers Licence, will that "officer" be able to check my USA info? Are they equipped with the technology in their car to check the validity of my license?

I was pulled over not long ago in Santiago by either an AMET or Police officer, he took my credentials, went to his car and came back in a few mins and let me go.

I was just curious if they are actually checking or they don't have the technology in their police cars to actually check me out.

Curious mind.....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
No chance there is any technology in a Police car to check.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Hey fellow DR1'ers.....

Can the average Police car in Dominican Republic verify my USA drivers license info in Dom Rep?

Meaning, if I get pulled over as a tourist, hand over my drivers Licence, will that "officer" be able to check my USA info? .....

Short answer, no.

Though when he took it over to his vehicle, he took a picture of it and he looked you up in Google.

Now he knows everything about you but not because he was able to use technology available on the vehicle but that on his phone.

:p:p

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
Short answer, no.

Though when he took it over to his vehicle, he took a picture of it and he looked you up in Google.

Now he knows everything about you but not because he was able to use technology available on the vehicle but that on his phone.

hahahahahhaa, lordy lord....

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Firstly, AMET, or as they are now Called INTRANT, are the only body policing the transports systems on the roads. If PN confront you for traffic violation be aware but be careful how you challenge them if you speak little Spanish.

AMET are able to check Dominican licenses through their database at the site of any incident and have been able to do so for a couple of years, but I have no idea if it is linked elsewhere and have often wondered. Several years ago before I had my DR license, I got stopped with a UK license and they spent a long time checking me out before getting my official multa to be paid at BanReserva.

Their only interest in your license is likely to be the time that you have been driving uninterrupted in the country.

The old law said you could use an authorized foreign license for 90 days maximum. Others here argue 30 days or your tourist card duration on the basis of legal stay. I am not so sure. What is sure is that no legal license equates to no insurance cover under insurance policy terms.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
One of the reasons I love living here.
Mo$t credential$ can be verified on the $pot.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
No way Jose. Have a fake one made and carry that just in case it gets taken away. They'll never know the difference about that either.

May 5, 2007
That information (USA DL info) is very tightly held and I doubt (No offense guys) that the Dominican system would meet privacy standards for any US LEA to allow a throughput to anything beside simple NCIC

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Short answer, no.

Or he just called Mark Zukerberg and he provided all the info including your mother's maiden name and ages of you children, and what erectile drugs you have tried.

Seriously I read today Facebook is tracking people who don't even have or never had a Facebook account. George Orwell never ever though up someone as evil as Zukerberg

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Or he just called Mark Zukerberg and he provided all the info including your mother's maiden name and ages of you children, and what erectile drugs you have tried.

Seriously I read today Facebook is tracking people who don't even have or never had a Facebook account. George Orwell never ever though up someone as evil as Zukerberg

True but Facebook make the information available to only certain sources. The AMET dude just go low tech and get what he needs for personal gain and dinero.

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
Im glad a few of you have enough time to make jokes but I need real answers here.

Thanks guys.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Im glad a few of you have enough time to make jokes but I need real answers here.

Thanks guys.

Sleep well, no, AMET nor any Dominican agency has access to information so privy as that of a USA drivers license.

That is the good news.

The rest I've contributed however, is absolutely true.

That is the bad news.