Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default USA drivers license (can Police verify)

    Hey fellow DR1'ers.....


    Can the average Police car in Dominican Republic verify my USA drivers license info in Dom Rep?

    Meaning, if I get pulled over as a tourist, hand over my drivers Licence, will that "officer" be able to check my USA info? Are they equipped with the technology in their car to check the validity of my license?

    I was pulled over not long ago in Santiago by either an AMET or Police officer, he took my credentials, went to his car and came back in a few mins and let me go.

    I was just curious if they are actually checking or they don't have the technology in their police cars to actually check me out.

    Curious mind.....

  2. #2
    Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No chance there is any technology in a Police car to check.

  3. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    No chance there is any technology in a Police car to check.


    I kinda figured but I didn't wanna assume since things have really progressed in the last few years.

  4. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    946
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Double post

  5. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    946
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mekkizm View Post
    Hey fellow DR1'ers.....


    Can the average Police car in Dominican Republic verify my USA drivers license info in Dom Rep?

    Meaning, if I get pulled over as a tourist, hand over my drivers Licence, will that "officer" be able to check my USA info? .....
    Short answer, no.

    Though when he took it over to his vehicle, he took a picture of it and he looked you up in Google.

    Now he knows everything about you but not because he was able to use technology available on the vehicle but that on his phone.


  6. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
    Short answer, no.

    Though when he took it over to his vehicle, he took a picture of it and he looked you up in Google.

    Now he knows everything about you but not because he was able to use technology available on the vehicle but that on his phone.

    hahahahahhaa, lordy lord....

  7. Likes JasonD liked this post
  8. #7
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Firstly, AMET, or as they are now Called INTRANT, are the only body policing the transports systems on the roads. If PN confront you for traffic violation be aware but be careful how you challenge them if you speak little Spanish.

    AMET are able to check Dominican licenses through their database at the site of any incident and have been able to do so for a couple of years, but I have no idea if it is linked elsewhere and have often wondered. Several years ago before I had my DR license, I got stopped with a UK license and they spent a long time checking me out before getting my official multa to be paid at BanReserva.

    Their only interest in your license is likely to be the time that you have been driving uninterrupted in the country.

    The old law said you could use an authorized foreign license for 90 days maximum. Others here argue 30 days or your tourist card duration on the basis of legal stay. I am not so sure. What is sure is that no legal license equates to no insurance cover under insurance policy terms.

  9. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,077
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    One of the reasons I love living here.
    Mo$t credential$ can be verified on the $pot.

  10. Likes GringoRubio liked this post
  11. #9
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No way Jose. Have a fake one made and carry that just in case it gets taken away. They'll never know the difference about that either.

  12. #10
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    One of the reasons I love living here.
    Mo$t credential$ can be verified on the $pot.
    You may joke but input your cedula into the system and you get an immediate answer on your driving status and multas.

    So now suggest AMET agents can't verify your status.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •