Temporary to Permanent Residency

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
We are just doing our temporary to permanent residency after 5 years and we need to know if a letter requesting the change is required. All other documents are easily identified on the government website but we get a notice back asking for a "authorization for change" in the "other" tab.

If anyone has recently updated, your knowledge would be greatly appreciated. By the way, the site was super easy to navigate and use

Thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bill
this is well reported here...

try digging a little deeper & you may get a faster answer....
But I think you're right... a letter

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It was mentioned that the first step is to submit a written request to change from temporary to permanent. Once that is approved, then you file all the other documents. I believe someone even posted a copy of a letter but I may be mistaken.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Bill
this is well reported here...

try digging a little deeper & you may get a faster answer....
But I think you're right... a letter

Yeah I did a lot of digging. There are references to sending a letter to DGM and waiting for 14 dayss to 2 months to get an authorization but nowhere that I can find is a clear guideline. Thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gringo is there.... he's right.

Those of us who are removed from the topic are slightly unaware of the details....sorry.

He may help you find it

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
It was mentioned that the first step is to submit a written request to change from temporary to permanent. Once that is approved, then you file all the other documents. I believe someone even posted a copy of a letter but I may be mistaken.

Do you know of this can be submitted electronically? Thanks :)

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Where are you located. If you are by chance in the PC/ Bavaro area the DGM office was really helpful. I would try them first. My experience here with lawyers is not very good.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
The process really is VERY simple. the only issue is that nowhere on the government website does it state the letter of "authorization" is required. If you look at the it gives clear indication of what is required, except for this letter!

And it really is easy to fill out the information and submit the necessary forms.

I am in touch with the head of immigration in POP tomorrow and will update after that as well as put together a step by step process for the change from temporary to permanent.

Thanks for all the help - have a great evening - I'll update tomorrow.

Feb 7, 2007
So to sum up it seems to be
1. Submit a letter requesting change of category
2. Wait anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 months
3. Retrieve Letter response hopefully with approval
4. Pay for medical, go for medical
5. Submit all documents online including medical
6. Pay for the 1-year permanent residency + pay for VIP (or is the payment together with medical?)
7. Wait 40 working days (2 months)
8. After getting approval take all the documents to SD
9. Get your blue card in SD

Is this correct or is there any different order of the steps?

One more thing - cedula is valid only through the end of validity of temporary residency. What does one do without cedula for 4 months? Is expired cedula accepted for banking etc? Does anyone know?

One more question to those who did temp to permanent:

Economic solvency can be either insurance, car title, property title or bank CD.
6.2. Título de propiedad o certificado bancario a plazo fijo
Que este solamente a nombre del solicitante.

Any information on value of such certificate of deposit required, and the term required?

Last edited:

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes, my expired cedula was accepted so far all over where I needed it, even today applying for a car loan. No issues.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Rubio the process seems correct, but you must pay before the medical.

I can't speak to the content of the letter to immigration, but I know it's required askinig for change of category from temporary to permanent. My person prepared the letter, I only signed it.

It took quite some time for the approval to come back. I am still at present waiting to pay, after which I'll be given an appt for medical.

It's also my understanding you pay for 4 years, get only 1 year the first time and supposedly the next 3 are free. I'll believe this when I see it.

I started my process 45 days prior to expiration, mid January, it's now almost mid April and I've yet to be called to pay. I did do the process in Puerto Plata and the excuse SD is giving is problems with their computers. I hope to go to SD on Monday and see if I can pay, get the medical and pray the card will arrive within a few weeks as I am leaving early May and not returning until October.

I have gotten mixed messages about whether it is OK to get the card 5 months hence; I'm told yes but I'm skeptical. I wonder if they'll make me begin the process all over again.

Re the title required for solvency, there is no dollar limit or requirement on it to my knowledge.

Hope this helps and if anyone can speak to my questions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Despite having US$50,000 in a Scotiabank account here in the DR, I still had to have the repatriation insurance for my first year of permanent residency. It appears not to be needed for my permanent residency renewal, but I'll believe it when I have my renewal in hand later this month. The first permanent residency is good for only ONE YEAR...so you have to do it all over again, including the medical a year later... This one is supposed to be good for FOUR years..again, believe it when I have it! :)

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Also, I used Guzman for my temp to perm residency application and process. I started 45 days before expiration (November 15 2016) but didn't have my permanent residency card until April 24, 2017...nearly 5 months! A very long time. I was without residency card and cedula the entire time... Ugh! No problems, however, since I did not travel.

Feb 7, 2007
Also, I used Guzman for my temp to perm residency application and process. I started 45 days before expiration (November 15 2016) but didn't have my permanent residency card until April 24, 2017...nearly 5 months! A very long time. I was without residency card and cedula the entire time... Ugh! No problems, however, since I did not travel.

Why without cedula? I know they take away your residency card when you deposit the documents, but do they take your cedula as well?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Why without cedula? I know they take away your residency card when you deposit the documents, but do they take your cedula as well?
No. Once you have your new residency card you go to the JCE and get a new one for the validity of your residency, 1,000 pesos per year.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk