Will my phone work in US?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Will my prepaid Altice (formerly Orange) phone with a SIM card work in the US?

Yes, you have to buy a roaming package, roaming service is very expensive, if you are rich you can use it. Its better to buy a prepaid simcard in usa, cheaper and you will get more kb for internet than your Altice roaming service. Mae sure that your phone is unlocked.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Yes, you have to buy a roaming package, roaming service is very expensive, if you are rich you can use it. Its better to buy a prepaid simcard in usa, cheaper and you will get more kb for internet than your Altice roaming service. Mae sure that your phone is unlocked.

Thanks...very helpful! :)

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Do you want to know with your current Altice SIM card or with a SIM card purchased in USA?

Any info is helpful... didn't think about buying one in the US previously but that would be a better idea I take it..so long as my phone is unlocked?

Aug 21, 2007
I used my Altice phone in the US on 2 short trips. Turned out to be extremely expensive and I was continually running out of minutes and data and needing to recharge it. I will never do that again!!!

Lindsey

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Some may depend on what phone you purchase, what frequency it supports and which carrier you want to use in the US. Many GSM phones have support for multiple frequencies. Your best bet is T-Mobile or AT&T as Verizon & Sprint are CDMA. However 4G is what you will want and so using the make & model of your phone you can look it up on this web site to see with which carriers it is compatible:

https://willmyphonework.net

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I use this and it works great. No additional charge for calls and data. Just comes off your regular DR plan.

Remeber he is using prepaid plan with Altice, and the free roaming service in claro is only for pospaid plans indetenibles.

Roaming with claro using prepaid line is as bad as Altice.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Remeber he is using prepaid plan with Altice, and the free roaming service in claro is only for pospaid plans indetenibles.

I am obviously not talking about a prepaid plan. Any roaming with a pre-paid plan with any carrier is a disaster.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Another option would be to get a claro line and roam for free in the US

I use this and it works great. No additional charge for calls and data. Just comes off your regular DR plan.

I am obviously not talking about a prepaid plan. Any roaming with a pre-paid plan with any carrier is a disaster.

From the first two posts making reference to using a Claro line it is not clear that a postpaid Claro line is what is needed. Plenty of peeps use prepaid for one reason or another and have no need or desire to get postpaid.

So what Riva said below in my opinion is very helpful........

I still think getting a prepaid USA SIM card would be the easiest. Some of the major phone companies you can order the prepaid card and have it snail mail delivered.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I don't know when or how often, you are coming to States but i would prebuy the phone+minutes. There are huge selections with unbelievable values.

If you are Android User, I would go with deals on Verizon phones and minutes because it would be easier to unlock in DR for backup or resell.

For iphone users Slim's StraightTalk seems like have decent sales on iPhone SE often at their site or at Walmart. It would be impossible to unlock but you may buy minutes and recharge when you come back.

For frequent visitors I would suggest Slim's Tracfone year plan on HSN. I've seen 1.5k 1 year everything for $90. Only thing is 1.5k everything is for a year, not per month.

Same here, I have a Claro phone number also.
I activated roaming while in the U.S. by calling the Claro's roaming number (800-235-4081) and told them that I had requested roaming while in the DR (I had not since I did not want to spend an hour waiting in lines) and that roaming was not working. They activated it right away and after restarting the phone it worked great and it works automatically as soon as I land in the U.S. and it costs nothing.
I'll be in Mexico City next month and I'm curious to see if it works there.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....to use in a different country you need to have a unlocked phone...when buying your next phone buy a international version they come unlocked at the same price..getting a phone company to unlock your phone is next to impossible,I had family mobile in the USA unlock my 2 samsung 7 galaxys..only to find when I arrived in the DR they were still locked..........Doc.......

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
....to use in a different country you need to have a unlocked phone...when buying your next phone buy a international version they come unlocked at the same price..getting a phone company to unlock your phone is next to impossible,I had family mobile in the USA unlock my 2 samsung 7 galaxys..only to find when I arrived in the DR they were still locked..........Doc.......

Best thing for frequent travelers is a dual sims phone. I have Samsung Galaxy S7 Duos as backup. It takes two sims and it comes in handy in most of places.

In US I put in $10 prepaid minutes in one sim and other have free 700mb data to backup my primary Galaxy S8. And its working out so well i will keep this backup forever.

Overseas the first SIM have ok price for use in international places so I will leave that in until I get a local SIM. When I do get local SIM, SLOT 1 gets disabled and SLOT 2 becomes main.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My claro plan works in USA. I get free roaming and free local minutes as permitted in my plan.
example:
I get 200 minutes free every month in my claro plan and 3gb of internet data.
with the last month's rollover, I had 400 minutes of talk time and almost 6gb of data.
I was in atlanta and I was getting LTE speed on data and used my minutes as local call minutes.
claro gives you free roaming in 20 countries. I have used the same plan in colombia.
you can get calls from DR to your phone as local calls and you can make calls in the host country as local call. I did that in atlanta and in bogota, colombia.
AZB

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
My claro plan works in USA. I get free roaming and free local minutes as permitted in my plan.
example:
I get 200 minutes free every month in my claro plan and 3gb of internet data.
with the last month's rollover, I had 400 minutes of talk time and almost 6gb of data.
I was in atlanta and I was getting LTE speed on data and used my minutes as local call minutes.
claro gives you free roaming in 20 countries. I have used the same plan in colombia.
you can get calls from DR to your phone as local calls and you can make calls in the host country as local call. I did that in atlanta and in bogota, colombia.
AZB

Yes, but his phone is prepaid and Altice, so your that wont work for him unless he takes his number to Claro and tight to pay a 12 month contract or 18 months.