What language do they speak in Spain?

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
This went very bad. none of them knew about Brazil or that Spain is in Europe.
I grew up in in DR. I can name all countries in the americas, europe and Asia and most in africa.

The next President need to allocate 8% of the budget to Education.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I grew up in in DR. I can name all countries in the americas, europe and Asia and most in africa.

Part of grade three and four social studies, and yes it is in their textbooks, but it is the quality of the teacher education that is the real problem.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
What a display of ignorance. However, I am not surprised since in my experience those interviewed represent the average common knowledge level of intelligence in the DR. These folks represent what it is to lack basic education and it is sad.

In what country is the Panama Canal? A blank look is the response when the question was asked to the first passerby? Really? What language do they speak in Spain? A blank look? There should be no confusion with Catalan. Please. Those asked would not even know Catalan exists. In what country is the city of Boston? Lost. However, many long to leave the DR but clearly have no clue where they are going. What is the largest country in South America? Blank look. Have they even heard of South America? Growing up my parents talked about all South American countries on a regular basis and countries in general. It was a topic of conversation.

All par for the course. When you have a lousy sub standard education system, children have a few hours a day of classroom time in which they actually learn, incompetent educators, and low motivation to learn by both teachers and students that is what you get which is the end result of the average. It seems like some don't even know that they do indeed speak Spanish. The day to day in a country like the DR is tough because of what you see displayed in the video. Imagine in all scenarios that is average level of knowledge that you have to deal with on a regular basis. That can be frustrating.

When will the DR take education seriously? I am not talking about the privileged that get to study abroad or go to private school in the DR. I am talking about the average student and the opportunities they have to learn.

-MP.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
All par for the course. When you have a lousy sub standard education system, children have a few hours a day of classroom time in which they actually learn, incompetent educators, and low motivation to learn by both teachers and students that is what you get which is the end result of the average. It seems like some don't even know that they do indeed speak Spanish. The day to day in a country like the DR is tough because of what you see displayed in the video. Imagine in all scenarios that is average level of knowledge that you have to deal with on a regular basis. That can be frustrating.

When will the DR take education seriously? I am not talking about the privileged that get to study abroad or go to private school in the DR. I am talking about the average student and the opportunities they have to learn.

-MP.

The entire reason Carlos does these interviews is to draw attention to the poor state of Education here. He has said many times in his video "What are you doing to improve the country? These videos are my contribution" or words to that effect.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The guy at 3:08 tells the Spaniards to learn speak 'legal Spanish' as Dominicans do while he mispronounce legal. LOL

Earlier in the video when Carlos asks him what language he speaks,he says he speaks 'normal.' LOL

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I do not think that contributing another 8% to the Education Budget will do a thing.

I agree, what they need is better trained Teachers ,a new curriculum and an incentive to learn.
I gave Espossa's Father a nice watch a few Xmas ago. He showed her the watch and asked what time it was!

On the other hand ''it is hard to forget we live in a swamp; when we were up to the arse in alligators''.

Russell

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
The entire reason Carlos does these interviews is to draw attention to the poor state of Education here. He has said many times in his video "What are you doing to improve the country? These videos are my contribution" or words to that effect.

Great and what happens afterwards? Is he sending these videos to government officials or anyone in a position to instigate change? Comic relief is one thing but there is a serious underlying problem. Education is a key component for a country to progress.

-MP.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

-MP.

But yet, the same mob keep talking about "progress and development."

What do a "virtual wallet" account add to a society with the levels of education partially shown on these videos. To the mob; get a grip!

Seriously?

To the bold underlined part. They know who they are and so do we. Same ones that keep on embellishing the situation because it fits them perfectly while the rest of the populace is as dumb as a rock.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Now its time for young university students.

[video=youtube;9-1PmuBsfG8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-1PmuBsfG8[/video]

Judging by the surroundings, I say this was at the PUCMM campus on the Sarasota.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I think the university students did well with spelling meaning their challenges are typical of many Spanish speakers.

The incorrectly spelt words were typical of how you could see them if spelt incorrectly. However, if you know your stuff then there is no issue.

B larga vs. V corta will always present spelling challenges for some. The same holds true for words that have Z and S. In some cases the choice of one letter over the other could change the meaning. 

As well, I like the example hierba vs hierva. He asked which one is the verb. To answer correctly you have to know the infinitive of the verb which is hervir. I also liked the question with hay and options. He asked which one is the verb. Once again you have to know the difference. Many people especially foreigners think allí is the same as hay and of course it is not.

The video shows a totally different level of knowledge compared to the first one posted by the OP.

-MP.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Great and what happens afterwards? Is he sending these videos to government officials or anyone in a position to instigate change? Comic relief is one thing but there is a serious underlying problem. Education is a key component for a country to progress.

-MP.

Progreso es un Land Cruiser, mucho cuarto y dos mujeres. 

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
here you got it all wrong....

There is nothing better for the Dom. government than a uneducated population. Nobody is easier to govern, lead or scare than a uneducated person !!!
Keep them dumm, several month before any election promise them everything, give them a new t-Shirt, a cap and a few beers and you are good to go for another 4 years. A Europe or US Level Educated Citizen is the worst nightmare to any Dominican Politician !

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is nothing better for the Dom. government than a uneducated population. Nobody is easier to govern, lead or scare than a uneducated person !!!
Keep them dumm, several month before any election promise them everything, give them a new t-Shirt, a cap and a few beers and you are good to go for another 4 years. A Europe or US Level Educated Citizen is the worst nightmare to any Dominican Politician !

I guess that must be the reason for the dumbing down of education in the USA then. Ever listen to interviews with University students in the States? In evry country the popluation falls for the promise of freebees from the government, not thinking about the fact that the government is spending their money to do so. We have an excellent Spanish language teacher but unfortunately we are losing her as she is moving to Spain.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I grew up here too and I remember that education used to be fairly good. We had a good level of general culture. I could not only read perfectly at an early age, but also analyze ideas and concepts. We went to a small colegio in a small town and it was known for being very good; the director was famous for being a "nazi type" of teacher. Many parents liked these types of teachers back then.

My mother was a teacher and she and her peers were real teachers. Didn't have spelling problems like they do today. They also were well read and were fairly cultured, even though they were poor.

Then things changed. The school curriculum changed to make it more "modern". Teachers got soft; Making the student feel good seems to be more important these days. "A" for effort !

With so many benefits students are getting these days, many people are interested in becoming teachers, just for the cash!

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
While Dominicans may have forgotten how pretérito pluscuamperfecto differs from pretérito imperfecto, Americans still don't know that Puerto Ricans are American citizens and driving to the D.R. from Texas will render the vehicle unusable.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I grew up here too and I remember that education used to be fairly good. We had a good level of general culture. I could not only read perfectly at an early age, but also analyze ideas and concepts. We went to a small colegio in a small town and it was known for being very good; the director was famous for being a "nazi type" of teacher. Many parents liked these types of teachers back then.

My mother was a teacher and she and her peers were real teachers. Didn't have spelling problems like they do today. They also were well read and were fairly cultured, even though they were poor.

Then things changed. The school curriculum changed to make it more "modern". Teachers got soft; Making the student feel good seems to be more important these days. "A" for effort !

With so many benefits students are getting these days, many people are interested in becoming teachers, just for the cash!
Consuelo Despradel noticed the same. Listen what she says between 14:00-14:30 and 17:35 - 18:20.

[video=youtube;U1VYBA9dIoE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1VYBA9dIoE[/video]