Shipping Packages TO USA (DR -> USA, NOT from USA)

jamesrrdaniel

Apr 15, 2018
Hello,

I did a lot of googling and search on this forum but could not find an answer/recommendation.

I'm looking to send a package (~5kg/11lb) to the US from DR. Long story short, I overpacked for my trip around the Caribbean and South America and would like to ship some items back home so I don't have to carry it around everywhere.

The cheapest option I found so far was Fedex, which still quoted me USD$100 for international economic shipping. That's so crazy!

Anyone know of any other cheaper options? Getting shipments from US to DR are much more economical with the various competitive shipment couriers.

Please help! Thank you!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Drop shipper out of Miami, but you will need an account with them.

If it's a 1 off, looks like you might be paying. Unless you can find someone to carry it in for you.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you are in Santo Domingo or Santiago, you might consider using the post office. Certainly cheaper, but less reliable and there is a very real risk the package will disappear. You may be home from your trip long before your package arrives.

Going from the DR to anywhere usually involves a courier service such as FedEX, DHL or UPS. Prices are pretty similar. You don't have much choice.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dominican post office offers international shipping out of DR. you can even track your package. we used them few times in the past and the items arrived to the states no problem. it will cost you around 3k pesos for 5 kg.
http://inposdom.gob.do/index.php/servicios/express-mail-service-ems
restrictions apply in terms of what can be sent.

still, unless that stuff is super valuable to you or very expensive in monetary terms i would just ditch it and chalk it up to life lessons.

jamesrrdaniel

Apr 15, 2018
Thank you three for the quick reply!

I thought about ditching the items, but they are worth more than $100 even though they are mainly just clothes. What an expensive lesson this has become... :cry:

Looks like I can save about 25-40% (~USD$30) if I ship it through the Dominican post office. Thank you Cdn_Gringo and dv8 for pointing that out.

Turning out to be a tough choice. Do I try to save ~USD$30 to reduce the mistake cost or do I bite down and pay for FEDEX shipment since the items cost ~USD$300. :ermm:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
dominican post office offers international shipping out of DR. you can even track your package. we used them few times in the past and the items arrived to the states no problem. it will cost you around 3k pesos for 5 kg.
http://inposdom.gob.do/index.php/servicios/express-mail-service-ems
restrictions apply in terms of what can be sent.

still, unless that stuff is super valuable to you or very expensive in monetary terms i would just ditch it and chalk it up to life lessons.
A friend of mine has also shipped out a few times with this option and has been satisfied.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
FEDEX if you wish to see the items again, and no, I do not hold any stock with them. It actually is a pretty decent price, as $100 is not what it used to be. In my opinion, pay the $100, have piece of mind, and chalk it up as experienced gained.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I have used inposdom forever. I've also used it go get ebay packages without a courrier as an intermediary. Must say I wouldnt trust it to buy something like a phone, but hell yeah, for anything else.

Feb 7, 2007
I sent a 500 dollar phone back to China for warranty with INPOSDOM and it arrived... EMS which is express service with tracking, took like 3 weeks, but it arrived.. And I got a new phone sent from China, via HK Post, to Miami, and from there with a courier to the DR. On other thought, the reason the phone did not turn on and was sent with a warranty claim may have been the reason why it did actually arrive to China.

Feb 7, 2007
ESP also give services sending packages from Dominican Republic, Not sure if they have same prices as UPS or Fedex, but maybe is cheaper using them.

www.eps.com.do

EPS no longer offers this service. They did offer their own transport to Miami and from there they drop shipped by USPS, but not any more. They now only resell DHL, FEDEX and UPS.