Customs & Immigration Airport Processing

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
My experience travelling in the "sunshine destination" countries is that processing at points of entry (airports) which caters mainly to tourist is different than processing at entry ports which caters more to the local residents. Is this true of the DR?

Is entry processing the same in POP and the Capital?

Are local residents returning to the DR more likely to be subjected to "random" searches, or have duties assessed on items of value etc. than tourists entering the DR.

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
Jazz...

Is your experience the exception or the norm. Is this because they know you personally?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
NoMoreSnow......

I usually have two oversized duffle bags on wheels and a sports bag or golf bag. This year I had a counter top water cooler in it's original box tied with rope and of course my laptop computer in it's own carrycase and a carryon bag. We've had our suitcases opened and inspected three years running now but have never had to pay any duty. The "inspector" wanted us to pay tax this year on the water cooler but we made her call a supervisor who said to let it pass. I think she was just looking for a "little something for Christmas" (even tho' it was Jan 13th.). But she didn't get it!
I bring down all kinds of stuff.....medical supplies for the local clinic,small appliances for friends and my maid,household items,school supplies for some local children and some of the cheeses and spices for me that I can't buy in the DR. WE've never had anything confiscated or had to pay any kind of duty yet.....

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
MommC,

I having difficulty understanding the responses ...

Is it that duties/taxes etc are NOT being imposed or are being ARBITRARILY imposed or that there is no set duties/taxes etc, or is it that the "inspectors" don't know the rules themselves?

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
About luggage

In POP, tourists are not questioned (normally). Like Jazzcom said, you go right out.

Yes, duties/taxes are often being imposed arbitrarily. Tips are welcomed!!!!!! But it's extremely rare that a foreigner will be asked to open his bags. Many Dominicans are checked though.

A friend of mine (Canadian) once got there with 2 huge hockey bags so heavy he could hardly carry them. They had him open the bags and it ended up costing him 2 flashlights or something... but he told me he really was carrying LOTS of stuff.

I once went with 2 full-size suitcases, and 1 carry-on (all VERY full and heavy) and I was alone. I went through without them paying the slightest attention, even though it must have been obvious this was too much luggage for a single individual. The rule-of-thumb is "if it fits in a suitcase don't worry." If you bring in boxes then they'll probably be checked. If it's gonna cost something is anyone's guess.

Those experiences are from POP. Don't know about SD.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
D! All of the above!

Including what Alain said......
I come thru SD and La Romana.....and I guess you could call my duffle bags the "hockey" sized variety. I've brought down TV's, Stereos and computer parts amongst other things.
Tourists are not usually bothered unless like me you obviously have WAY too much for a two week vacation but as I said while mine have been opened I've never had to pay anything. I have heard of people parting with a 50 peso "tip" for the inspector or a "regalo di Pasqua" or regalo di Navida" depending on the time of year.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Never a Problem in SD

First, I would definitely fall under the "tourist" look.

On my last trip through Las Americas (SD) I had 2 large "hockey-style" bags with a computer and a sound system, a full backpack and a large large "carry-on" garment bag. I got the "parade wave" from the customs officials.

I ABSOLUTELY HAD to give the immigration gal a couple breath mints - but that was totally voluntary (I must have gotten in right after her coffee break).

I read on a previous post that the Dominicans take the brunt of the hassles; my experience (4 passages) has that making sense - in a Domincan sort of way.

arroyodmb

Mar 13, 2002
Thrown into the country

I remember my first arrival in the D.R. 1993. Arriving via Miami at POP, when they were remodelling the airport and utilising a shed.

After collecting my bags I headed to the "Aduanas" area, when I arrived there were a few tables occupied by Dominicans having their luggage checked and no obvious "nothing to decalare" channel.

As I Looked confused a man arrived took me by the arm walked me to the door. Two other men holding string opened the doors and the man who had my arm practically threw me into the Dominican Republic. Possibly he was thinking, "Vayase y gaste sus dollares en la Republica Dominicana".

That was just the first start to a nervous and eventful introduction to the D.R.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
A quick story on the other side...returning to the States once after the revolution in 65. I knew one of the US Customs officers in Miami had a son who had attended Georgia Military Academy where I was going to school. In my bags I placed my school uniforms on top. Underneath I placed several bottles of Barcelo, and several boxes of good cigars. I was traveling with a buddy of mine from Miami Military Academy. We got to customs, I found my inspector, opened my bags, he saw the uniforms and waved me through. My buddy is behind me and opens his bags and the inspector saw his MMA uniform and twenty minutes later finished his inspection of my buddy's two suitcases and golf bag. Poor Charlie had nothing...

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
This one helps me. When they speak. look stupid and hold out your passport. When they ask if you speak Spanish, say "Si, un poquito" in your best gringo accent. It usually results in "move along" gesture.