Dominican Gay Student Hate Crime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
http://www.wdel.com/news/video-newa...cle_a9034f2e-4308-11e8-b11e-5b86f246549f.html

http://almomento.net/delaware-propinan-golpiza-a-estudiante-gay-de-origen-dominicano/

Newark Police are investigating a possible hate crime where a man accuses members of one University of Delaware fraternity of calling him a homophobic slur, attacking him and breaking his leg at an off-campus party.

“I didn’t even look their way or nothing, they all just came to me,” said Rancel Valdez, the victim in an attack on Friday, April 13, 2018 in a house on North Chapel Street.

Valdez was waiting for a friend to come out of the bathroom, when the frat member allegedly approached him and pushed him from behind.

"They were just being rude, telling me to leave, calling me names," Valdez

Valdez says more members of the frat attacked him and then broke his leg. Erica Bundsehuh went to the party with Valdez.

“He didn’t even do anything wrong that day,” said Erica Bundsehuh. “I ran over. I’m trying to pull these kids off. Literally felt like it wasn’t stopping because they were getting pulled off and then someone else would just come over.”

Valdez was at Christiana Hospital receiving treatment for two days, but the 23-year-old have to miss work for the next month.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
When was the last time you saw 2 guys fighting when one of them didn't call the other one a faggot. It's a derogatory term that is used to get the insulted party even madder than he is.
It's not a hate crime. It's used by idiots that don't know any better. It's not politically correct but people need to grow thicker skins.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
When was the last time you saw 2 guys fighting when one of them didn't call the other one a faggot. It's a derogatory term that is used to get the insulted party even madder than he is.
It's not a hate crime. It's used by idiots that don't know any better. It's not politically correct but people need to grow thicker skins.

Maybe you need to realise that your attitudes are prehistoric. Valdez is gay (it says so later in the article). Someone calls him a faggot and breaks his leg. And you seem to think that's acceptable and he just needs to grow a thicker skin? Faggot is clearly a derogatory term that applies to someone's sexuality. Would it be OK for a white person to go up to a black person, call him a nigger and break his leg? No of course it wouldn't and what happened to Valdez is equally wrong and the police should take some serious action against the people who did this.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

They broke his leg asshole. How thick a skin do you need for that?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
There is no tolerance for Homophobic Aggressors in my little world.

But , in this case it did happen coupled with physical violence. No excuses, no tolerance for such individuals.
The privileged few who think they already rule the World need a wake up call.
No difference than Mob Violence.

This needs serious looking into.

I hope Valdez gets better and back on his educational journey ASAP.

Russell

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Something seems to be missing, why would they attack this kid for no reason other than sexual tendencies?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Something seems to be missing, why would they attack this kid for no reason other than sexual tendencies?

You only need to read some of the posts above to realise that some people think that homophobia is just guys' banter, if someone gets their leg broken they need to grow a thicker skin and man up. I imagine the young people involved had parents with attitudes like this, so they grow up thinking it's OK to beat up someone for his sexuality. Whenever a gay topic is posted on DR1 there are usually a few homophobic comments posted, so it's easy to see that this prejudice is alive and kicking.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
When I was younger [in the Jurassic era], this sort of thing often happened. It's a good thing that Jason finds it incredible that someone was assaulted simply because of their sexual orientation. Today, thankfully, this is clearly a hate crime and should not be tolerated. These homophobes should be prosecuted and held civilly liable.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
When I was younger [in the Jurassic era], this sort of thing often happened. It's a good thing that Jason finds it incredible that someone was assaulted simply because of their sexual orientation. Today, thankfully, this is clearly a hate crime and should not be tolerated. These homophobes should be prosecuted and held civilly liable.

I do. I was brought up in a family and around people that would never react to other just because of sexual tendencies so yes, I find it incredible.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017

Jason,
It only takes one Homophobic leader of a group to incite Homophobic Reaction to their mental state.
They chose him because he is Openly Gay.
That is all that is needed.
These Straight AH's need to pick on the different guy to build up their male egos. They become big guys in the opinions of other Homophobic AH's (AH= Ass Ho*es)
However in my humble opinion they reside in the mental world somewhere between Neanderthal and 16 Century Witch Hunters.
On the other hand I have always said that ''those who speak and act the most against LGBTQ people; probably have the closet full of secret desires.... fighting out against Gay people establishes them as Straight.... So they think.
Gotta Go.
Russell

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006

Since hate is always irrational, there is no way to ever rationalize hate crime.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Kid doesn't know how good he has it. I remember being a teenager spending
my Saturday evenings skateboarding at the beach watching gangs of young
adults out (doing what they called at time) f*g bashing. Many a night I watched
young dudes suspected of being gay get their *sses kicked for no good reason at all.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Kid doesn't know how good he has it. I remember being a teenager spending
my Saturday evenings skateboarding at the beach watching gangs of young
adults out (doing what they called at time) f*g bashing. Many a night I watched
young dudes suspected of being gay get their *sses kicked for no good reason at all.

I really hope the "kid" you are referring to is not the one who was gay-bashed and got his leg broken. Nobody could say he has it good.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
As with all cowards, I have never heard of one person attacking a group of gay people or any other groups that they have hatred towards. It's always a group attacking one or two individuals. People who hate are basically cowards. They can't comprehend who they are so they end up hating and physically attacking others. This "boys will be boys" attitude that many of us have needs to stop. People should be safe to go where ever they feel without the fear of being attacked.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Post deleted by moderator. Infraction given

Last edited by a moderator:

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
Who's mad? Just calling a spade a spade. From your comment you fit the definition. You want to be an asshole, I'm not going to let you off the hook. Sounds like now you want PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.