Some interesting stuff on medical/clinic issues

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hello. This is the Hillbilly Curmudgeon speaking. Today's topic is:

Medical Emergencies and Clinics (1) and Clinics that accept International Health Care plans.(2)

1. It is against the law for any Emergency Room at any clinic (private) to demand a deposit for treatment of a patient brought in for emergency care. The proper thing to say is: "Oh, you want a deposit? You know that is against the law? I will have to cal the 'fiscal' (or several other people, such as Sisaril) and the clinics will be subject to heavy fines.

2. Here in Santiago both HOMS and the Materno-Infantil Clinic will accept international health care plans.

I have to check this out further, but that is what we used to call, "the word with the bark on it."
Have a good nite/day.

Cordially,

HB

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Hello. This is the Hillbilly Curmudgeon speaking. Today's topic is:

Medical Emergencies and Clinics (1) and Clinics that accept International Health Care plans.(2)

1. It is against the law for any Emergency Room at any clinic (private) to demand a deposit for treatment of a patient brought in for emergency care. The proper thing to say is: "Oh, you want a deposit? You know that is against the law? I will have to cal the 'fiscal' (or several other people, such as Sisaril) and the clinics will be subject to heavy fines.

2. Here in Santiago both HOMS and the Materno-Infantil Clinic will accept international health care plans.

I have to check this out further, but that is what we used to call, "the word with the bark on it."
Have a good nite/day.

Cordially,

HB

good to know. I was asked for a deposit in the Abreu Clinic's emergency room. This was prior to admission.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
This is very timely as my mother fainted yesterday while taking her walk near the house. Two young men from a corner colmado carried her, unconscious, to Padre Billini which was only three blocks away. There was no time for 911, carro publico etc. Her caregiver was with her but had none of her personal information available so I provided it to the emergency personnel over the phone. When I got there I knew it was going to be a long day when the attending physician couldn't spell Alzheimer. I'll skip mentioning all the patients with open, oozing sores, bleeding wounds, coughing their lungs out sitting or prostrate on metal benches. Thanks HB.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Cordially,

HB
FTR, Medicare is not considered an "international" health care plan.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Good point cb. The same applies for any of the Provincial Health Care plans for Canadians.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Thankfully, I have not had to avail myself of healthcare here, yet. It would be interesting to see what happens if you pull out your cell to call the fiscal after the clinic asks for a credit before suturing your bleeding skull closed...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Most one off travel insurance packages that many travelers buy when they purchase a trip is very specific about contacting the insurer prior to incurring any expenses on that policy. I would think that a medical establishment that routinely treats foreigners would take the insurance policy and make a phone call to the insurer before they begin any sort of advanced treatment. The clinics must know that many policies require the customer to pay first then get reimbursed or at the very least for major medical procedures, to secure permission before replacing the defective heart.

I don't have a lot of confidence in those packaged trip health insurance policies as they are most likely of the a post claim underwriting type - you don't actually get qualified for coverage until you inform the insurer that you need to use the insurance.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Those are some of the exact reasons why I carry four types of insurance. My Health Insurance for my job, Travel Insurance, ARS Universal for me, my wife and our children, and CASH. Hopefully, that will have me covered if I ever require emergency medical attention while in the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For RD policies... yes, they call first to get the insurer's permission...

For scans, procedures , etc.... and you wait for that approval.
Calling in advance is the trick if you are booking anything.

Emergencies -- dunno

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Emergency rooms are intended to "plug holes" which hopefully stabilizes the patient. I can envision all sorts of potential scenarios where much more action is required at the outset to bring about a positive outcome. I'm not sure in all cases, I would have the time to wait for some local Rhodes Scholar to figure out the payment details while I lay unconscious with my innards held in place by an oily rag from the back of some guys pickup.

I go out of my way to make sure that my DR health insurance info and a local contact with a credit card is on my person and in my vehicle. I hope this will be enough to get the ball rolling when required rather than everyone standing around with their thumbs up their a$$es wondering if they are watching rich gringo or a itinerant one bleed to death.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This is good to know but, if you don't leave a deposit, don't you run the risk of only getting very basic, rudimentary treatment which could negatively affect your outcome? I sure wouldn't want to risk how I get treated in an emergency room based on "I know my rights".

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Yeah Bob, that's usually the way it works with formal health insurance purchased independently of specific travel requirements. As long as you inform them of the need for coverage and assuming they agree with the immediacy of your need and the proposed treatment plan, large insurers offering long term ongoing insurance will usually agree to pay the provider directly.

These large established Int'l providers are usually much more willing to be accommodating to their customers than are the "fly-by-night" travel insurance companies who have more staff dedicated to finding a reason not to pay than they do people paying actual claims.

I would suggest that those relying on a offshore insurance provider while living in this country also take out a basic package from a Dominican provider. This way, the local insurer can get treatment started while someone gets the foreign provider up to speed and ready to take over when the local coverage is used up.