Apartment/Condo Hunting in Cabarete

Coach Bob

Apr 29, 2018
Hola. . . I will be retiring this June from work in Los Angeles, California. I have rented an apartment in La Romana off and on since 2012, spending the summers, Christmas and Easter vacation time there, normally 10 to 12 weeks per year. I have visited the Playa Cabarete in the past and have stayed at beach resorts twice. I'm wondering if it's possible to find a 2 bedroom apartment away from the beach area in Cabarete from $300 to $400 per month??

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Hola. . . I will be retiring this June from work in Los Angeles, California. I have rented an apartment in La Romana off and on since 2012, spending the summers, Christmas and Easter vacation time there, normally 10 to 12 weeks per year. I have visited the Playa Cabarete in the past and have stayed at beach resorts twice. I'm wondering if it's possible to find a 2 bedroom apartment away from the beach area in Cabarete from $300 to $400 per month??

I live in Cabarete. No problem finding a 2 bdr apto. off the beach in that range.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
You'll be able to find something in that price range. Your best bet with be the Facebook groups Everything Cabarete and Everything Sosua.

Also, look at AirBnB for places that are renting rooms. Come down and try a couple out. Most places that rent nightly, have long term rentals as well. Stay at few from AirBnB for a month or so while you do some property searches. Properties that are advertised as vacation rentals rent monthly for about 2 times the weekly rate, and 10 times the daily rate.

Nothing you find online on a website actually exists, at least not in the condition as advertised. Agents rarely update the pictures or websites.

Everything is negotiable, including rent and deposit. Pay by the month, and not in advance.

Check everything before you decide on a place. Turn on every tap, make sure their is hot water, flush every toilet, and check the internet and power. Talk to a neighbor or two as well, and ask about the consistency of power and water supply. Ask the owner for the edenorte electricity bill so you will have an idea of what you should be paying.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I am not sure you can get a $400 per month quality two bedroom apartment in Cabarete or Sosua with a descent security and backup water and electricity - basically in a condo complex... ! In case you are not told, security and backup water and electricity are very important in DR, everything else is optional. You don't want to go and live in barios with Dominicans if you are new to the area and not fluent in Spanish. You might get a studio or small one bedroom for that price in a good condo complex ...

Coach Bob

Apr 29, 2018
Renting Apartment in Cabarete

I'm posted an earlier question about gaining residency, and received some great information to help get started. My next question is about apartment to rent . . . Is it possible to find an apartment to rent for around $300-$400 per month in Cabarete? . . Cabarete in my first choice because of it's small size. If not possible Puerto Plata, or back in the La Romana/Bayahibe area.

I don't want and don't need to be on or near the beach. Walking distance or a quick pasola ride to the beach is cool. I've been visiting the D.R. since 2010, first visit was to Playa Sosua, the next was to Playa Cabarete, by 2012 I started renting an apartment in the Dominican barrios La Romana. I've had an apartment in La Romana off and on since 2012 where I spend my summers, as well as the Christmas and Semana Santa holidays. I've visited also Punta Cana/Bavaro, Bayahibe, Boca, La Capital, Playa Palenque, San Cristobal, Las Terrenas, Samana, Higuey, El Seibo . . .

I'm looking for a neighborhood that might be mixed with locals and foreigner families. I know that there are many mixed families living in the Cabarete area. Are there areas /neighborhoods where there is this nice mixture and the living standard is not high end, but not Dominican barrio?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You already have a thread going on this(?). Anyway, the only area that I can think of is the Callejon. It's a barrio for sure, but nice for a barrio. All the streets are paved and there a lot of stores, internet cafes, and restaurants there.

There are a surprising number of gringos living there - many with Dominican spouses. Very convenient, too. It's located at the only traffic light in Cabarete.

Coach Bob

Apr 29, 2018
Yes, thank you . . . I know all about that . . LoL . . I've rented 3 different apartments since 2012 in La Romana. Lived with GF's and alone. Since 2012, I probably have spent an average of 8 to 10 weeks a year there, and travel around from there for a few short 3 or 4 day get away's.