Retiring and Gaining Residency in the D.R.

Coach Bob

Apr 29, 2018
Hola. . .

I read on another site that if foreigners open a bank account and have their monthly pensions sent to a Dominican Bank, that one can get your residency in 45 days. Does anyone know if this is true?

What are the pros and cons of opening a Dominican Bank account, or keeping your money in your home country bank? . . I’m trying to avoid paying California state taxes, and have only federal taxes removed from monthly pension

How much can expect to pay for health insurance?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The bank account tied into residency may have been possible years ago. My understanding is that if you want residency here it has to be started in your home country. I also understand there are no exceptions to this at this point in time.

If you are an American citizen all the banks here report back to the US all of your transactions that exceed 10,000 USD or if you have a balance above that.

Insurance is based on many things. Age, habits, preexisting conditions, etc. Find a broker and get it first hand for the coverage you need.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Hola. . .

that one can get your residency in 45 days. Does anyone know if this is true?

The only way to get residency that quickly is to buy the head of immigration a jeepeta. And, we're talking a brand new Lexus, not a Montero.

Slow your roll... I was the same when I moved down, wanted to be legal and do everything by the book. Only, the book doesn't exist.

Have you been the DR? Lived in the DR? Do you know where you want to stay, have a budget? Get here first, stay and rent a while, and then figure out all those pesky details.

You have to start residency in the US. Search for the Dominican Consulate nearest you, and call them. They will have some answers for you, but don't expect them to be accurate.

Finding a local attorney once you are settled in the DR will work as well. You'll just have to make a trip back to the US to get the stamp. Residency is a long, painful and expensive process will very few benefits. It should be like step 10 in your move, not step one.

There are a few good insurance companies. Depending on where you are going to be staying in the DR, you can find an insurance broker. Humano is good. As far as cost, figure $50-200 a month depending on what you want. Any insurance you get will probably have heavy stipulations for the first year, or longer. As in, they wont pay for anything catastrophic or expensive for the first year.

You're best bet if to pay for your non-emergent medical expenses with cash. Medical care is cheap here. And, that insurance card is no garuntee they will treat you. They'll see gringo, and think dollar signs. You're get treated quicker with cash or a credit card.

Get a travel insurance policy. This will cover your emergencies, after you've paid cash, and repatriation to a US hospital. Check out IMG or International SOS.

To recap. Pay cash for minor medical stuff and meds. Find a local doctor and negotiate the prices for visits. Have US$500 in cash somewhere, and let a friend no where it is in case of emergency. Most places will treat you in an emergency for $500 down, and your passport as collateral. Have a credit card with a $5,000 limit for an emergency treatment or surgeries needed after you are stabilized. Get travel insurance in case the **** really hits the fan.

CRL2017

Apr 25, 2017
Residency is a long, painful and expensive process will very few benefits. It should be like step 10 in your move, not step one.

I know the length of time can vary but when you say "long" and "expensive" what is an approximate time and approximate cost for resident visa? Thank you.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I know the length of time can vary but when you say "long" and "expensive" what is an approximate time and approximate cost for resident visa? Thank you.

I don't know exactly, and each situation is different. I did not pursue residency, and lived in the DR for three years. I came and went frequently, so it was never an issue for me.

Hopefully someone who has done it can answer your question, but it seems different for everyone.

Just getting the process started will cost you a few thousand dollars and take 6 months to a year. The thing is, it never ends. Temporary residency leads to permanent, only permanent is not really permanent. You have to spend money and go to Santo Domingo every year to four years.

If you have $10,000 grand to throw at a lawyer, and meet the retiree requirements, you may be done in a year with only a few headache.

If you are fluent in Spanish, know some people and the lay of the land, you may be able to get it done quickly for less money.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Probably $1500-2000usds for the initial temporary residency. This process starts in your home country. Contact the nearest Dominican Consulate and ask what documents are needed for the process. You can also find this info on-line The documents must be approved by the Consulate and then brought to the DR where the fun begins. You will have to hire an attorney who will walk you and your paperwork through the process and submit it for initial approval. Guzman-Ariza is a good firm to use. Then it becomes a waiting game. Good luck and good travels.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Depending on where you live in Los Angeles and time of day, you can get to the Dominican Consulate in Glendale from 5-60 minutes.

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
Retiree insurance

Hola. . .

I read on another site that if foreigners open a bank account and have their monthly pensions sent to a Dominican Bank, that one can get your residency in 45 days. Does anyone know if this is true?

What are the pros and cons of opening a Dominican Bank account, or keeping your money in your home country bank? . . I’m trying to avoid paying California state taxes, and have only federal taxes removed from monthly pension

We've had Humano for several years and it works very well BUT I believe that they will only cover you until you turn 70. Not completely sure but check on that before you sign up! We only pay about $800US a year for 2 of us-ages 68 and 67- very good coverage. Co-pays have gone up from this year from $RD 300 to RD 700.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I don't know exactly, and each situation is different. I did not pursue residency, and lived in the DR for three years. I came and went frequently, so it was never an issue for me.

Hopefully someone who has done it can answer your question, but it seems different for everyone.

Just getting the process started will cost you a few thousand dollars and take 6 months to a year. The thing is, it never ends. Temporary residency leads to permanent, only permanent is not really permanent. You have to spend money and go to Santo Domingo every year to four years.

If you have $10,000 grand to throw at a lawyer, and meet the retiree requirements, you may be done in a year with only a few headache.

If you are fluent in Spanish, know some people and the lay of the land, you may be able to get it done quickly for less money.

You will spend about $1,500 chasing your medical, marriage certs, police checks, bank letters and all the apostiles you need in the states and paying your first application to a US Dominican consulate, then figure $2,500 plus at least for a lawyer in DR then 1 if not 2 trips to Santo Domingo, more blood tests and x-rays and of course a hotel for a couple nights and transport.
If you budget $5K and stay under that amount consider yourself lucky. Plan on 18 months with the start back home. The immigrations system is backed up and no one cares about you, since there 10,000 of you all wanting to be prioritized.

I recommend just come and live for 6 months and pay the over-stay penalty on exit. Chance are you will say "Maybe there are other places to explore retirement", or you will have made some contacts who can grease the wheels or help you navigate.

I have my permanent residency and honestly don't know if I would do it again. It is easy to lose the enchantment.

B. Kliban said in a cartoon in his book: 'Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head' -. "The wagon of love breaks down under the baggage of life"

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Truer words were never spoken

You have to start residency in the US. Search for the Dominican Consulate nearest you, and call them. They will have some answers for you, but don't expect them to be accurate.

drSix's entire post above is a good one. I highlighted the most excellent part in red.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Hola. . .

If you want a good idea of how much it will cost and how long it will take to get residency, call the law offices of Guzman Ariza in Sto. Domingo. They are sort of the "official" legal experts for DR1 and one of the largest law firms in the country. They offer a free consultation - no obligation.

If you're going to retire down here, I would definitely recommend having a DR bank account. Fairly easy to open.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I have been through the residency process so I speak with some authority, unlike some who never bothered to become legal. First I would advise you to be sure you want to live here permanently and for more than three months at a time. Visit and make sure. Then, if you have at least $1,500 US in pension and/or social security income, getting a retiree residency is fairly simple and straightforward and should not take a very long time (six months at the most). Meanwhile, while your application is pending, you should plan to stay in the country. You begin the residency process by getting a residency VISA in your home country at the Dominican embassy nearest you. The best source of information on what you will need is the immigration website for the Dominican Republic https://www.migracion.gob.do/ The pages can be translated into English. Then you need either a person very familiar with the process who speaks spanish or a good attorney who specializes in residencies. Your total cost from start to finish will likely be about $2000 US. Your initial residency is good for one year (I think) and then you can renew for up to four years. Your passport must have a least 18 months before expiration. The retiree residency allows you to skip over the five years of temporary residency for other people. Or if you are wealthy and plan to invest in a large property, you could qualify for an investors residency, similar to retiree but with different requirements. When I first moved here, I did not have any income at all but had money in a Dominican bank account that I had wired here on the sale of my house. For a normal residency (not retiree and not investment), the criteria is that you be financially solvent and you would probably also need a "guarantee" from someone (usually your attorney or someone designate by him or her). They also require repatriation insurance (to pay for your airfare home should you be deported!) that is about $100 a year. It's easily obtainable. The only tricky documents are your birth certificate that must be recently obtained and apostiled (special stamp and approval from your state office) and a certificate of good conduct. That used to be obtained from your local police force (in my case Prince William County Virginia), but I understand that now it must come from the FBI and you need fingerprints from the US as well. That's more complicated, but everyone has to do it so it happens OK. My neighbor just did a retiree residency last year. You must have residency to obtain a Dominican driver's license, which you need if you want to drive and be insured legally.

So far as health insurance, you can obtain it very easily if you apply before turning 65, which I was able to do since i moved here at age 60. I have a group plan through a friend's apartment rental company where I lived my first year here and I pay only 1100 pesos (less than $30 US) a month. I have only Part A Medicare in the US. I do not return there for medical care. I am very comfortable with the doctors and care I receive here despite speaking little Spanish and having two incurable life-threatening illnesses. My insurance pays 100% of hospital and emergency (except for a private room supplement) and 80% of everything else up to the limits. I've had just about every test imaginable and the most I've ever had to pay was about $100 US. I did pay $300 out of my pocket for my bone marrow biopsy to be sent to the US for interpretation and examination. My doctor copays are 500 to 1500 pesos ($10 to $30 US). I do not have prescription coverage but it is available with most plans. Most medications are available without a prescription and I spend about $300 a month.

Yes, your social security can be deposited directly into your Dominican account. There is a form you must return once a year to say you are still alive and living overseas. Opening a bank account can be trying, like many things here, but it is doable! I do not have my social security deposited here directly now but might in the future. Like you, I did not want to pay Virginia taxes on my 401K withdrawals so I do not have a residence in the US at all.

If you have other questions or concerns, just ask. I'm single (alone and happy) so don't let anyone discourage you from retiring here is you want.

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There are several residency programs that foreigners can apply under. Each program has it's own requirements and offers it's own "benefits".

Some need to be renewed every year, others every two years etc. Generally, residency for retired people requires a minimum monthly income from a guaranteed source and immigration will want to see a history of those payments. Over time you will need to show that you are indeed spending a minimum amount of money each month living in the DR to satisfy the requirements for ongoing residency.

The process is worth doing for the piece of mind of being legally in the country. The total cost of that initial residency card varies by program, lawyer and depends on what the costs of the process are at the time you apply.

Expect the residency application process to take a year and be surprised if it takes less time. Government processes here can be arduous, frustrating, time consuming and expensive. The more important decision to make is if the DR is really the place you want to spend all this time, effort and money. Once you climb aboard the hamster wheel that is the immigration Dept., it takes years before you can hop off for a much earned but temporary respite.

Put all your stuff in Storage where you are. Come down and get a feel for life without residency per se. Get a feel for daily life and what that means, paying for electricity and water that doesn't work, food choices that are more expensive and not as diverse as at home, dealing with banks and bureaucracies large and small.

Sure open a bank account but keep the bulk of your money at home. Transfer down what you need and a nice cushion for emergencies or discretionary spending but resist putting all your eggs in one basket.

Actually living here is much different than most people can envision before they actually experience it even when told beforehand. Some people can't adjust and don't make it long term.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You will spend about $1,500 chasing your medical, marriage certs, police checks, bank letters and all the apostiles you need in the states and paying your first application to a US Dominican consulate, then figure $2,500 plus at least for a lawyer in DR then 1 if not 2 trips to Santo Domingo, more blood tests and x-rays and of course a hotel for a couple nights and transport.
If you budget $5K and stay under that amount consider yourself lucky. Plan on 18 months with the start back home. The immigrations system is backed up and no one cares about you, since there 10,000 of you all wanting to be prioritized.

[/I][/B]

I think that's an over-estimate of lawyer costs. When I did my first temporary residency three years ago I had a lawyer in Sosua with an associate in Santo Domingo. The Sosua guy gave me all the information of what I would have to do to start the process in England (in my case) and certified documents as necessary. Then the Santo Domingo associate did everything with me down there to get everything finalised at the Immigration office. Overall, the lawyer's fees weren't much more that US$1,000.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think that's an over-estimate of lawyer costs. When I did my first temporary residency three years ago I had a lawyer in Sosua with an associate in Santo Domingo. The Sosua guy gave me all the information of what I would have to do to start the process in England (in my case) and certified documents as necessary. Then the Santo Domingo associate did everything with me down there to get everything finalised at the Immigration office. Overall, the lawyer's fees weren't much more that US$1,000.

Did they pay for your medical tests in DR or did you pay that ?

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
The actual fees to submit the paperwork and get the medical test (can do in Puerto Plata now) is 12000 pesos and 4500 pesos respectively. Lawyer fees vary considerably. I am paying only 10000 pesos (about $200) to my lawyer for my renewal this time and that includes his driving me round trip to Santo Domingo to pick up my residency card and cedula. I am paying the fees myself out of pocket. I'll have a little more to pay onsite including the 1000 pesos for one day VIP pickup. But I used Guzman previously. The total cost was $1,500 for my temporary renewals (each) and then $1,875 to go from temporary to permanent.
The cost was worth it as there was some extra work required each time that only a lawyer very well known to immigration could have handled. (For example, my residency number was actually my sister's number the first year and that was a mess to sort out!)

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have been through the residency process so I speak with some authority, unlike some who never bothered to become legal. First I would advise you to be sure you want to live here permanently and for more than three months at a time. Visit and make sure. Then, if you have at least $1,500 US in pension and/or social security income, getting a retiree residency is fairly simple and straightforward and should not take a very long time (six months at the most). Meanwhile, while your application is pending, you should plan to stay in the country. You begin the residency process by getting a residency VISA in your home country at the Dominican embassy nearest you. The best source of information on what you will need is the immigration website for the Dominican Republic https://www.migracion.gob.do/ The pages can be translated into English. Then you need either a person very familiar with the process who speaks spanish or a good attorney who specializes in residencies. Your total cost from start to finish will likely be about $2000 US. Your initial residency is good for one year (I think) and then you can renew for up to four years. Your passport must have a least 18 months before expiration. The retiree residency allows you to skip over the five years of temporary residency for other people. Or if you are wealthy and plan to invest in a large property, you could qualify for an investors residency, similar to retiree but with different requirements. When I first moved here, I did not have any income at all but had money in a Dominican bank account that I had wired here on the sale of my house. For a normal residency (not retiree and not investment), the criteria is that you be financially solvent and you would probably also need a "guarantee" from someone (usually your attorney or someone designate by him or her). They also require repatriation insurance (to pay for your airfare home should you be deported!) that is about $100 a year. It's easily obtainable. The only tricky documents are your birth certificate that must be recently obtained and apostiled (special stamp and approval from your state office) and a certificate of good conduct. That used to be obtained from your local police force (in my case Prince William County Virginia), but I understand that now it must come from the FBI and you need fingerprints from the US as well. That's more complicated, but everyone has to do it so it happens OK. My neighbor just did a retiree residency last year. You must have residency to obtain a Dominican driver's license, which you need if you want to drive and be insured legally.

So far as health insurance, you can obtain it very easily if you apply before turning 65, which I was able to do since i moved here at age 60. I have a group plan through a friend's apartment rental company where I lived my first year here and I pay only 1100 pesos (less than $30 US) a month. I have only Part A Medicare in the US. I do not return there for medical care. I am very comfortable with the doctors and care I receive here despite speaking little Spanish and having two incurable life-threatening illnesses. My insurance pays 100% of hospital and emergency (except for a private room supplement) and 80% of everything else up to the limits. I've had just about every test imaginable and the most I've ever had to pay was about $100 US. I did pay $300 out of my pocket for my bone marrow biopsy to be sent to the US for interpretation and examination. My doctor copays are 500 to 1500 pesos ($10 to $30 US). I do not have prescription coverage but it is available with most plans. Most medications are available without a prescription and I spend about $300 a month.

Yes, your social security can be deposited directly into your Dominican account. There is a form you must return once a year to say you are still alive and living overseas. Opening a bank account can be trying, like many things here, but it is doable! I do not have my social security deposited here directly now but might in the future. Like you, I did not want to pay Virginia taxes on my 401K withdrawals so I do not have a residence in the US at all.

If you have other questions or concerns, just ask. I'm single (alone and happy) so don't let anyone discourage you from retiring here is you want.

The retiree residency does not allow you to skip over the 5 years of temporary residency for other people as you said(?).