Get to Paradise

del4fun00

Apr 26, 2002
What is the best way to get to Luperon or Castambar beaches from Playa Dorado. Is there a bus that goes there. I know a bus goes east but can't find anything on what goes west.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Your best bet would be Costambar. Luperon is much further away and more difficult to get to unless you take a taxi.

Chameleon

Apr 29, 2002
I believe the guest house you are speaking of that belongs to Cris is in Cofresi and not Costambar. However, it is only 100 pesos from Puerto Plata to Costambar - a little more from Playa Dorada. Cofresi is 3 km away further west from Costambar but you can actually got to Costambar and walk along the shoreline to Cofresi. It is beautiful to do this in the early morning. Do not go alone however. Always wise to travel in pairs as it is a little isolated around the inlet. Both beaches in Costambar and Cofresi are great. Luperon is about 1.5 hours away.

You can also (if you feel brave) take a motoconcho (motorcycle taxi) and that is even less expensive.

del4fun00

Apr 26, 2002
Thanx....

I greatly appreciate the information. 2.5 weeks and counting down. I CAN'T WAIT!

I wanted to buy an excursion to Isla Soana but I don't know if I should buy it from a vendor or just get it at the resort (for safety reasons). Is the hotel a whole lot more expensive than buying from the vendors directly.

Also these people who come up to you on the beach - are they selling excursions or time-shares?

Most of the prices I have seen for Isla Soana are $70-$80 per person is this expensive?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are you talking about an excursion to Isla Saona from Playa Dorada, or are you also staying for a time on the south coast?
Going there from Playa Dorada, assuming there is such an excursion, is a long trip. Wouldn't think the round trip would be feasible in one day unless you were flying.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Chameleon said:
I believe the guest house you are speaking of that belongs to Cris is in Cofresi and not Costambar. However, it is only 100 pesos from Puerto Plata to Costambar - a little more from Playa Dorada. Cofresi is 3 km away further west from Costambar but you can actually got to Costambar and walk along the shoreline to Cofresi. It is beautiful to do this in the early morning. Do not go alone however. Always wise to travel in pairs as it is a little isolated around the inlet. Both beaches in Costambar and Cofresi are great. Luperon is about 1.5 hours away.

You can also (if you feel brave) take a motoconcho (motorcycle taxi) and that is even less expensive.

Actually it belongs to Alberto Noesi. Criss is the manager. It is in Costambar. Criss's dad is kind of a legend in Puerto Plata. (Billy)

I like Confresi and will have lunch there next week:)

Regards

del4fun00

Apr 26, 2002
Soana

Ken -

We are only staying in Playa Dorado. I have seen excursions advertised to Isla Soana from Playa Dorado. I did notice that some had prices of $80 and others around $250. I am guessing that $80 is by bus and $250 by air.

I really hope we can do it even if its a whole day trip. I heard its beautiful and should take 3 hours to get there.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
When I was there about 1 year and a half ago (at Bayahibe) I think the boat guys wanted to take us to Isla Saona for $100 per person. I'm not sure if they intended to just drop us off and charge another $100 to get back...So that price for the full excursion sounds a liiiiitle expensive, but if it includes a nice lunch, a guided tour, etc., etc., could be worth it.

Ken: We did a day trip to La Romana from Sosua and it was awesome! We left at midnight and drove til about 10 the next morning (with a short stop in Bonao). There were two bus-loads of us. Spent the day at the beach at Bayhibe, and departed at about 4pm. We were back in Sosua at 11 pm that night! It was a crazy, crazy trip - but so much fun!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
That's one of the reasons

I like living in Juan Dolio so much....It's a day trip to La Romana/Catalina Island, Bayahibe/Isla Saona/Piscina Natural,
Sabana a la Mer/Cayo Levantando, Los Haitis, Punta Cana,Playa Macao,Playa del Muerte.....etc.etc.
smiley_on_tredmil.gif

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
del4fun00,

3 hours or less if you flew, but if you went by bus all the way, I believe that you would be much longer on the road than that.

Ken

del4fun00

Apr 26, 2002
Crushed

Oh no, I'm crushed. It was one of our big to dos on the trip. I guess we will just go to costambar instead. It would be around $500 for us to go to Isla Soana - ahhh crap :-(