Temporary residency for extra year?

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Hello -

I am due to apply for permanent residency this year after 5 years of temporary residency. However, I see that for the permanent residency I was meant to start the process 5 months before my temporary was going to expiry. Oops, too late for that now! Also, I see the permanent residency process takes longer to complete and more documents, etc. required than the simple temporary residency renewal process I am now used to.

So the big question.. I was wondering if anyone knows if I could do one more year of temporary residency then apply for permanent residency next year when I have more time and am not running so late, as I also have plans to travel this summer which would be fine with temporary residency, but I worry wouldn't be okay with the extra time it seems to take for the permanent residency process.

Thank you in advance if anyone has any idea about this!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Where do you live? You might want to get it straight from the horse's mouth if you have a Migracion office close-by.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Hello -

I am due to apply for permanent residency this year after 5 years of temporary residency. However, I see that for the permanent residency I was meant to start the process 5 months before my temporary was going to expiry. Oops, too late for that now! Also, I see the permanent residency process takes longer to complete and more documents, etc. required than the simple temporary residency renewal process I am now used to.

So the big question.. I was wondering if anyone knows if I could do one more year of temporary residency then apply for permanent residency next year when I have more time and am not running so late, as I also have plans to travel this summer which would be fine with temporary residency, but I worry wouldn't be okay with the extra time it seems to take for the permanent residency process.

Thank you in advance if anyone has any idea about this!

You can apply for as many temporary residencies as you want. You are not forced into getting a permanent one.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Where do you live? You might want to get it straight from the horse's mouth if you have a Migracion office close-by.

Unfortunately I'm in Cabrera so not so close and I did try phoning with no luck. But sounds like I can keep renewing so that's great news :)