The DR Breaks Ties with Taiwan, Unites with China

Do you think the DR has a lot to gain with its new relations with China?

• Yes

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The news of the day yesterday (and today) is the DR's decision to break diplomatic ties with Taiwan and initiate diplomatic relations with China. In the official report to the nation, the DR government clearly states that there's only one China and that Taiwan is an integral part of it.

Taiwan claims that the DR broke relations because China is offering US$3 billion in loans.

[video=youtube;vxJ1eNhVoig]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxJ1eNhVoig[/video]

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The official initiation of Dominican - Chinese diplomatic relations.

[video=youtube;Wi2wwMQ6LAM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi2wwMQ6LAM[/video]

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I guess all official Dominican maps of the world will have to be replaced with an updated version where Taiwan appears as a province of China and not as an independent country.

China might also challenge U.S. influence in the DR. One positive aspect of Chinese vs US influence is that China doesn't mettle in internal affairs (immigration issues, etc) while the US usually does.

Taiwan's opinion (they are angry):

[video=youtube;Zwa1qO2e-j0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwa1qO2e-j0[/video]

Last edited:

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
The Politicians have a lot to gain. Hopefully, some of what they gain will trickle down to the common folks.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
The Politicians have a lot to gain. Hopefully, some of what they gain will trickle down to the common folks.

[video=youtube;WOgnIe41GmE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOgnIe41GmE[/video]

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
They may as well accept the $3 billion because China's debt bomb is about to implode, and the DR probably has no intention of paying it back, so it is a win win for everyone. More cheap, garbage toys and tools to sell to people who will probably break it in 3 months and not have money to buy another one. https://www.bloomberg.com/quicktake/chinas-debt-bomb

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
The history of Taiwan investing in the D.R. goes back at least 12 years that I know of and had witnessed personally.
The D.R. is like a puta except for the fact that you don't (unless you are an idiot) expect loyalty from a ho.
My own opinion is that this is a shame.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On the puta subject: The DR is one of the few countries that has the desire and ability to screw China as much or more than China can screw the DR in almost any "deal". How negatively will this deal with China against Taiwan impact any further US deals?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
On the puta subject: The DR is one of the few countries that has the desire and ability to screw China as much or more than China can screw the DR in almost any "deal". How negatively will this deal with China against Taiwan impact any further US deals?

None, because under the DR-Cafta rules if a Chinees industry is installed in DR and the materials used to produce came from China must pay taxes to enter to USA, if they bring the materials from USA can return tax free to USA the final product.

Recently was opened in Santo Domingo the first Chinees factory to produce aluminium products with an investment of US$10,783,000.00, so hopefully they will continue opening new industries here, and the 2nd. hand we have the Turism, is very big market that we can capture part of those potential turist to come here and not depend on the 60% of the north america market.

Comercial ties were very active with China before we have diplomatic relationship, so not a big deal about the commerce we are already making deals with China long ago, must be more fluent the transactions between both countries.

If you read back you will see that not only Dominican Republic is ending diplomatic relations with Taiwan, in 2007 was Costa Rica, in 2017 was Panama, now in 2018 was Dominican Republic and the question is who will be next? We most thank Taiwan for their friendship and help but things are changing. Now Taiwan will have to do the commerce with Dominican Republic in the position that was China before.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
So I guess all the politicians will soon be driving Hongguang and Baojun jeepeta's.

Pa’lante!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

China already manages much of the screwing in DR......Chinese own the cabanas in large part.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Riva_31 posted "If you read back you will see that not only Dominican Republic is ending diplomatic relations with Taiwan, in 2007 was Costa Rica, in 2017 was Panama, now in 2018 was Dominican Republic and the question is who will be next? We most thank Taiwan for their friendship and help but things are changing. Now Taiwan will have to do the commerce with Dominican Republic in the position that was China before."

Just because others have done it doesn't mean it makes it right. I did some business with the D.R. Gov years ago (I got better than 50% up front (profited on just that portion)) and had to chase them for the balance. I was in their office between the Malecon and Independencia in S.D. so much I told the manager that they should give me an office and parking spot. The offices were in the process of being remodeled (really beautiful), I jokingly told the finance manager that if they could afford all the granite and fine woods surely they could afford to pay me. He said that the Gov. of Taiwan was footing the whole remodel bill.
BTW, I was a sufficient pain in the a** so they paid me my other 50%.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
China already manages much of the screwing in DR......Chinese own the cabanas in large part.

“Chino no ve na.”

Dominican Sociologist Teófilo Barreiro (RIP) touched the subject many years ago. He even mentioned why Dominicans prefer Chinese owned cabañas. 

[video=youtube;sSp4Wkf7yw4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSp4Wkf7yw4[/video]

Sep 20, 2003
Did the Chinese 'help' the Sri Lankans? Google that and see what the mainland Chinese government really does: enslave entire countries through loans they can never repay.

The DR has entered a Faustian bargain on this one.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Did the Chinese 'help' the Sri Lankans? Google that and see what the mainland Chinese government really does: enslave entire countries through loans they can never repay.

China outbid Taiwan, simple as that.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Does China mettles in the internal affairs of other countries or do they just do business?

A month ago Roberto Rosario finally said the reason his US visa was cancelled last year. He was pressured by then US Ambassador Walley to accept Haitian nationals as if they were Dominicans the Civil Registry, even though that was prohibited by Dominican law. After Roberto Rosario made it clear he was not going to succumb to foreign pressures in what is essentially an internal matter of the Dominican government, it was made public through the media that Roberto Rosario's visa had been cancelled.

[video=youtube;D4f5AEZcNNU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4f5AEZcNNU[/video]

BTW, you can activate automatic translated subtitles in the video by doing the following:

1. On the lower right corner of the video, press on the rectangle on the left end.

2. Press on the round sign next to that (it has an HD red box on its upper right).

3. Click where it says subtitles, then click on 'automatic translate' (traducir automáticamente).

4. Scroll and click on your language.

Subtitles in your language of what is being said in the video should pop up in the video.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

This really is OT but see further below (and Ogre, in the past we could discuss such subjects reasonably even with differing political opinion so doubt it is worth even trying):

Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa was the problem with Sri Lanka.

As a notoriously corrupt and tainted politician, he sought loans from China when the West stopped funding him.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-24918281

Fiscal responsibility is down to the receiving not donor nation and the nations we talk of who still recognize Taiwan do so for commercial (funding) reasons. St Kitts and Nevis as example are in serious debt including debt owed to Taiwan.

The big question here is should the rich nations bequest money through international aid to poorer countries and indeed cancel debt? OT subject and not here.

Ok Sri Lanka have had to cede a lease to the finding Chinese company for a port project sanctioned by Rajapaksa to help deal with the debt.

Back to DR, it will be down to government to borrow sensibly to further improve the infrastructure that DR so badly needs. China will offer lower rates than that are being given to finance Punta Catalina for sure.

Not only that, there are far greater opportunities for bi lateral trade to benefit both nations and don't forget agriculture benefits for DR. China has many more mouths to feed.

It was an obvious, a no brainer and most pragmatic of choices to recognize China and all the main politicians in DR publicly have supported it.

It is the end game for Taiwan diplomatically, and they should accept one China as do most countries in the world including USA.

What is wrong with one China two systems? Have the people of Hong Kong really lost out? And that is the discussion for OT.

DR will win bigger with this decision.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2003
I disagree. China is in this for empire. And while they could care less how governments treat (or mistreat) their people, they expect subservient loyalty--and in the case of default--territory and the right to set up a massive defacto Chinese colonies.

The work carried out on foreign projects is made up of Chinese workers. The debts incurred are enormous. The Sri Lankans fell prey to Beijing's machinations. The DR will rue the day they dropped Taiwan.

And I can agree to disagree without malice.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I disagree. China is in this for empire. And while they could care less how governments treat (or mistreat) their people, they expect subservient loyalty--and in the case of default--territory and the right to set up a massive defacto Chinese colonies.

The work carried out on foreign projects is made up of Chinese workers. The debts incurred are enormous. The Sri Lankans fell prey to Beijing's machinations. The DR will rue the day they dropped Taiwan.

And I can agree to disagree without malice.

Punta Catalina debts are enormous and far greater than the SR port to which you refer, and the cost of the project was one billion more than a Chinese contractor quoted. And even after that the government has to go back to commercial banks to fund massive cost overruns.

It comes back to good governance and there are question marks here.

DR still needs to significantly develop it's infrastructure and Taiwan was not going to be a conduit to provide cheap loans. Nor will they be able to offer the trade possibilities that China does.