Dominican Immigration has extended the stay for tourist

Dec 21, 2016
The Immigration Department has extended the legal stay for tourist to 60 days, but if the person overstay it will be denied entry on his next visit. If the foreign wants to be in the country for more than 60 days, it must apply for a visa through the Dominican consulate.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This has been communicated by lawyers recently.....

60 days may be the new normal but more importantly.
there may be an extension available --- FINALLY !!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The Immigration Department has extended the legal stay for tourist to 60 days, but if the person overstay it will be denied entry on his next visit. If the foreign wants to be in the country for more than 60 days, it must apply for a visa through the Dominican consulate.

Is there a media link about this?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
No media link at all. I think this is taken from the Migration website where they are talking about the tourist VISA not the tourist card and the former is for 60 days so not the same at all. I think that is probably where Maria Abreu got her post from.

Matilda

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Is there a media link about this?

Read the whole letter from MIP from last Friday posted by Maria Abreu and particularly first paragraph.

https://www.facebook.com/abreuimmig...027080986869/1009984649157771/?type=3&theater

It refers to no-residents for up to 60 days stay identifying the categories.

So 60 days for those that comply for tourist visa and 30 days for tourist card entries and extendable for an additional 60 days.

The existing law and application of law is to be applied exactly as written according to the memo.

The other thread was closed prematurely imo we need to see who received this memo and what action arises if any at this time from it through experiences and posts.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No media link at all. I think this is taken from the Migration website where they are talking about the tourist VISA not the tourist card and the former is for 60 days so not the same at all. I think that is probably where Maria Abreu got her post from.

Matilda

Well, we hope she figures it out...
she may have pulled the wrong trigger ..... too early.

Her post would confuse some -- like me !!... and the OP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is the translation of the third paragraph  Maria Abreu posted to Facebook 

BELOW IS A TRANSLATION OF THE THIRD PARAGRAPH IN THE LETTER SHOWN

In this sense, the General Directorate of Migration, making use of the powers granted by Law 285-04 and its Regulation of Application, established by presidential decree 631-11, provides that any foreign national who exceeds the period authorized for their stay in the national territory, whose limit should not exceed the (60) days when he enters as a tourist, is SUBJECT TO NO ADMISSION AT THE TIME OF RETURNING TO THE COUNTRY, without prejudice to the penalty or rate of stay to which the FIFTH paragraph of Resolution DGM-05-2013 on the immigration control procedure in the Dominican Republic.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
This is the translation of the third paragraph  Maria Abreu posted to Facebook 

BELOW IS A TRANSLATION OF THE THIRD PARAGRAPH IN THE LETTER SHOWN

In this sense, the General Directorate of Migration, making use of the powers granted by Law 285-04 and its Regulation of Application, established by presidential decree 631-11, provides that any foreign national who exceeds the period authorized for their stay in the national territory, whose limit should not exceed the (60) days when he enters as a tourist, is SUBJECT TO NO ADMISSION AT THE TIME OF RETURNING TO THE COUNTRY, without prejudice to the penalty or rate of stay to which the FIFTH paragraph of Resolution DGM-05-2013 on the immigration control procedure in the Dominican Republic.

First paragraph of the memo states .....El plaza de permanencia....no residentes.......sera de hasta 60 dias in bold.

The law 285-04 Art 36.1,2&7, and Art. 40.1 and Decree 631-11 Art.81.a states the categories of no residentes and the only thing that will change this will be if the tourist card becomes 60 days and at this very moment it is stated as 30 days on the various sites.

Has the tourist card authorized stay changed?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This page is now saying 60 days instead of the usual 30 days: https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/index/21

Just checked out the link.
60 day tourist visas as opposed to 30 days.. I wonder if this has
anything to due with the anticipation of a ton of Chinese flying in
for vacations of more than 30 days.

I see the overstay fees are still the same. Not sure who's being
denied entry for overstaying their tourist card during their last visit.
Will someone please post some pictures of these people being denied
entry, detained and deported?

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Just checked out the link.
60 day tourist visas as opposed to 30 days.. I wonder if this has
anything to due with the anticipation of a ton of Chinese flying in
for vacations of more than 30 days.

I see the overstay fees are still the same. Not sure who's being
denied entry for overstaying their tourist card during their last visit.
Will someone please post some pictures of these people being denied
entry, detained and deported?

I am flying in to SDQ on Saturday morning. I will ask Migracion when I am at the airport and will report back to this thread with their response.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It always said 60 days so has not been changed and it refers to the tourist visa not card.

Matilda

Okay, but is this the first time for the wording about overstayers not being admitted when they return?

This concerns me, as I overstay annually 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Is this a cultural/language issue? Clear and timely communication from most governments that I have had to deal with isn't rocket science. When things change an announcement is made, the press covers it and people get the message.

In this country, at least with matters dealing with immigration, the message time and again seems to cause more confusion than it alleviates. Why is this? What obstacles or circumstances lead to this confusion? It seems to me that the routine process for announcing changes within a governmental dept are pretty straight forward:

1) Make a decision
2) Inform staff
3) Update Website
4) Inform embassies and foreign interests by whatever process is in place.
5) Inform the press

Are we missing something in the translation? I fail to see how after an announcement, the water is cloudier than it was before.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Is this a cultural/language issue? Clear and timely communication from most governments that I have had to deal with isn't rocket science. When things change an announcement is made, the press covers it and people get the message.

In this country, at least with matters dealing with immigration, the message time and again seems to cause more confusion than it alleviates. Why is this? What obstacles or circumstances lead to this confusion? It seems to me that the routine process for announcing changes within a governmental dept are pretty straight forward:

1) Make a decision
2) Inform staff
3) Update Website
4) Inform embassies and foreign interests by whatever process is in place.
5) Inform the press

Are we missing something in the translation? I fail to see how after an announcement, the water is cloudier than it was before.

What we do not know about this memo that was sent to an immigration lawyer last Friday by the Ministry of Interior and Police, is to whom it has been sent.

If it is an exercise in preparing the ground for more stern application of the law as it is written, it may have been sent to Immigration lawyers and embassies such that they update their advice to customers and their nationals.

If it has been sent to Immigration Officers at airports, then there may be actual repercussions soon. But note there is an element of discretion implied in the wording on the application of the law to those that do exceed their authorized stay.

What is becoming clearer is that the route that DGM want 'no residents' tourists to do, is to use the facility to extend an extra 60 days whilst here giving an authorized 90 days stay, and an option appears there for those seeking a further month to go the tourist card route and extend giving 120 days. Beyond that period, as a comment from MA, it appears they want one to obtain residency. And in that regard the water is clearer.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
I am now thoroughly confused. I am going to enter as a tourist for 45 days. Will I just pay the usual $10usd for a tourist
card that is now good for 60 days not 30 before it is necessary to pay the overstay fee?