Things to take/do in Panama, flying from sti.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Flying from sti to Panama to visit daughter in the peace Corp for one week, then back to states.

Bought tickets on Copa Air site.

Looking for any advice.

One leg is on "AeroRepublica," what is the deal with flying copa vs aero?
What advice in general flying these airlines?

What are the best things to bring from DR to Panama?

What are best things to bring from Panama to U.S.?

I think we each get one free checked bag. Hope the don't steal stuff in luggage.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
take the train.  don't bother with the "viewing" car or the pathetic snack.  the viewing car gets all fogged up.  best place is to stand in the open areas at the end of the car.  and, obvo, you've got to go to the locks and watch the ships.  Slow entertainment like watching knitting on Norwegian TV.  You take pictures of the ships and wave to the sailors, mostly Chinese.  They wave and take pictures of you.  I got to see one of our Nuclear submarines pass through.  That was a real thrill.  Yeah, I'm a cheap date.  Read about canal history from the Panamanian perspective.  USA barely gets a nod.  

Sweetest water you'll ever taste.  straight out of the tap.  

Waitman

DR1
Dec 12, 2016
waitman.net
Double check but I think I usually get 2 checked bags flying COPA through PTY.

I fly through COPA through PTY to SDQ every so often, sometimes there's a deal. I once spent a week in Panama.

A few things. To me it feels like an 'UNofficial' territory of the USA. The currency there is USD, except they do have their own coin, which is 1 Panamanian peso. And that's all. Not sure what they use that for. I didn't notice any other currency.

If you smoke cigarettes, they are totally illegal there. The law/ordinance reads "no smoking in any public or private place". You probably will not get a ticket or fine, especially if you are an American/European tourist. But buying cigarettes there can be a challenge. You can find some small mom-and-pop places selling them like contraband. Like they have them locked in a small box in hidden in the back.

I stayed in Panama City. It's not really so exciting IMHO. If I spent time there again (i doubt i would though), I would stay on the Caribbean sea side (North) and not Panama City (pacific/south). If you see fancy photos of hotels in Panama city they are doctored up in Photoshop. :)

Last time I was in the airport they advertised free wifi, and upon connecting I received a notice that I needed to "upgrade" my SSL certificate authorities "CA list". That's like a really,really bad idea, don't do it. You do not need to check your Facebook that bad.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Aerorepublica is a colombian subsidiary of Copa, so same rules apply and same copa airplanes, is only technicals rules to make possible to fly diferents places both companies. Panama gave 5 freedom to Aerorepulica the airplane arrives to panama as Aerorepublica and continue to a second destination as aerorepublica too.

About Panama I was there and a taxi was chargin us 100.00 US to take us to the Panama Canal but we made a search and we find out that taking the metro to Albrock station for like 35.00 cents if im not wrong and from there we took a taxi that charged only 8.00 dollars and back to Albrock station we got a deal for 5 dollars. To enter to the facilites the fee is 15.00 Dollars.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Thanks. Going to the Boondocks a little town between Chumical and Pese. Definately want to rent a car, prices seem real cheap, but they rip you off on the required insurance. Hopefully they will accept amex insurance for car coverage and only whack me for the liability. I hear that liability coverage varies too.

I will check the 2 checked bag rule. I am sure my daughter would like some Dominican foods, etc.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Thanks. Going to the Boondocks a little town between Chumical and Pese. Definately want to rent a car, prices seem real cheap, but they rip you off on the required insurance. Hopefully they will accept amex insurance for car coverage and only whack me for the liability. I hear that liability coverage varies too.

I will check the 2 checked bag rule. I am sure my daughter would like some Dominican foods, etc.

Be carefull also with the speed, we rented a Car for 4 days and we got a fine because we was passing by an urban area and to us was looking like a highway and we go faster than in the city, so watch your speed. Was 100.00 dollars fine and but we talked and they changed for a 20.00 dollars fine.

To pay the fine we had to go almost outside of Panama city in the way to the airport because there was the place where turist must go to pay the fines.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
What to bring back?
Ron ABUELO Anejo 12Anos. 
Some of the best rum I’ve ever had. And very reasonable priced there. 

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
I got an email from copa asking me to make an offer to upgrade my seat. What is the least they will take? What is it worth

Jan 17, 2009
I wouldn't upgrade for such a short trip.  Copa sends those emails all the time.  I upgraded a few times with a low offer for a long-haul from Uruguay to Panama, but in my opinion, upgrading for a 1.5 hour flight is not worth it.  Just look at the green needle and see how much to offer for somewhat lower than Good chance of getting the upgrade.  That's what I usually do.

Plan on getting a meal or snack before you fly.  Copa's sandwiches from here to PTY and back are terrible IMO. 

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
What to do in Panama:
- Colonial city
- Cerro Ancon, the hill in the city, beautiful view of the city and the Canal
- Causeway with its beautiful view of the city and the bay/canal
- day trip to Isla Taboga in the Panama bay, you could go also to isla Contadora which is a little further
- Museum of Biodiversity
- San Blas
- Embera indigenous villages
- trip through the canal and Lake Gatun
- San Lorenzo and Portobello with it's beautiful views
- Isla Grande
- When you take the train trip you can also go on a shopping trip in the Colon Free Zone
- Soberania national park
- Metropolitan national park
- trip to the valley of Anton where they have ancient indigenous rock paintings and "el Macho" waterfall

Panama has everything the DR has and more so, so no need to bring anything to PTY. ;)
Let me know if you have more questions about my "country" and in case you need any hook ups.

Jun 18, 2007
What to do in Panama:
- Colonial city
- day trip to Isla Taboga in the Panama bay, you could go also to isla Contadora which is a little further
- Museum of Biodiversity
- San Blas
- Isla Grande
- When you take the train trip you can also go on a shopping trip in the Colon Free Zone
- trip to the valley of Anton where they have ancient indigenous rock paintings and "el Macho" waterfall

Panama has everything the DR has and more so, so no need to bring anything to PTY. ;)
Let me know if you have more questions about my "country" and in case you need any hook ups.

Forgot Gamboa next to the canal, beautiful!!!

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
What to do in Panama:
- Colonial city
- Museum of Biodiversity
- San Blas
- Isla Grande

Wow that's a lot. I might be too lazy for the whole list. Is the list in order of best first? Any of those things near the Pese, Chumical area?

I will google each one.

Thank you!

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
I will bring some back to states, is it best to buy at airport on way out? Ty
What to bring back?
Ron ABUELO Anejo 12Anos. 

Jun 18, 2007
Wow that's a lot. I might be too lazy for the whole list. Is the list in order of best first? Any of those things near the Pese, Chumical area?

I will google each one.

Thank you!

Oooh you're going to be in the boonies, that's a different story.
Most of what I posted was in the city and around it except San Blas, Isla Grande, San Lorenzo and Portobello and Anton.
Where you're going to be you can to the cities of Chitre, Santiago and Las Tablas.
You're going to be en la tierra del Cholo, farmlands and all that.
You know how to milk cows? ;)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What to bring back?
Ron ABUELO Anejo 12Anos. 

The Panama airport has one of the best duty free items and prices anywhere. Buy all your liquor here when you leave.

I have always got at least 10% off by just asking for it. If you are buying a lot you will get it.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
The Panama airport has one of the best duty free items and prices anywhere. Buy all your liquor here when you leave.

I have always got at least 10% off by just asking for it. If you are buying a lot you will get it.
How much can you buy, I thought the limit was like 2 bottles a person

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Will remember that next time. This time am flying to States. Ty
I bought over a dozen bottles last time there. Flying back to the DR with them. No problems as all.

Jan 17, 2009
Wow, surprised.  I find duty free at PTY to be one of the most expensive ones-- but I don't buy liquor so that may be where it is actually less expensive.  Otherwise, super expensive for cosmetics and electronics.