Bringing in goods when moving to D.R.

Coach Bob

Apr 29, 2018
First of all, let me just say thank for some great information that I received from my first post (I think). . . And after browsing around, this is really a great site!!! . . Gracias a Dios!

Okay, when I do come down this summer as a retired teacher, I plan to bring a few personal items from my house. Will I be taxed if I bring with me one or two televisions? I also want to bring my microwave, nutra-bullet, small toaster. Would I be taxed for things like a couple pots, pans, beer and coffee mugs, and silver ware??? Clothing???

Por favor, I know you guys have all the answers, dime!

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
Yes you will be taxed, how much? Based on my experience, the inspector makes it up on the fly. 

I did my move in 2015 (retired as well) was told I could only bring 2 tv's (I had 5) and a max of 32"(mine is 65"). With the help of the moving company and a donation to the inspectors favorite charity, I had no issues.

My advice, ship those items with a cargo shipping company that use boxes or plastic barrels. I have shipped from NYC and MIA with no issues and have only paid the shipping fees. 

My 2 cents. 

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
It depends how you "bring them down".

I shipped a 20' container and they hit me with a little more than 10% TAX on the whole lot. The value was based on the crudest of estimates.

The general rule of thumb is if an item is over $200 they will tax it.

The other general rule of thumb is if they want to tax it they will tax it.

I have found if you send items CPS or Aeropost or one of the Miami to DR couriers you will only pay for the weight and the service.

Good luck!

Ps. Many will say just buy the stuff here. That way there is no sweat factor.

Coach Bob

Apr 29, 2018
. . . I'm just trying to avoid buying those appliances in the D.R., they're double the price than in L.A. I bought my 32' inch for $150.00 & my 40' inch for $199.00 . . . But if I end paying in taxes more than what they cost there. . . . Hmmm . . . Do you or anyone have a clue of approx. shipping cost . . . especially from L.A.? What about the airline that I fly down there on?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Once you receive your residency, you can import your household goods tax free if you do it within a year. As a nonresident if you try to bring in anything that doesn't fit in a suitcase you are supposed to declare it and will probably be taxed. Same if your stuff arrives here as cargo with an airline.

If you are trying to move here before you have applied for residency then you are swimming against the current and you would be better off renting a place that is furnished or buy the cheapest essentials here until you can get your own better quality things shipped here under the tax exemption.

Coach Bob

Apr 29, 2018
Gracias Cdn_ . . . . great bit of insight . . this makes sense. So do I throw my pots and pans, microwave, and fav' beer/coffee mugs in a suitcase? . . . LoL . . . ?

CRL2017

Apr 25, 2017
Yes you will be taxed, how much? Based on my experience, the inspector makes it up on the fly. 

I did my move in 2015 (retired as well) was told I could only bring 2 tv's (I had 5) and a max of 32"(mine is 65"). With the help of the moving company and a donation to the inspectors favorite charity, I had no issues.

My advice, ship those items with a cargo shipping company that use boxes or plastic barrels. I have shipped from NYC and MIA with no issues and have only paid the shipping fees. 

My 2 cents. 

Coach Bob - If you have the residency status BEFORE you move and ship items...I thought you were permitted to move household goods with the residency visa? I was looking for the reference, I think it was on this site or the customs for DR...I would check but the below link is one form describing this option. I assume you read Spanish.

http://www.consuladord.com/pdfs/Ley_146-00.pdf

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
First of all, let me just say thank for some great information that I received from my first post (I think). . . And after browsing around, this is really a great site!!! . . Gracias a Dios!

Okay, when I do come down this summer as a retired teacher, I plan to bring a few personal items from my house. Will I be taxed if I bring with me one or two televisions? I also want to bring my microwave, nutra-bullet, small toaster. Would I be taxed for things like a couple pots, pans, beer and coffee mugs, and silver ware??? Clothing???

Por favor, I know you guys have all the answers, dime!

You can bring personal items but how are you going to bring things, such as, a microwave, TVs? Airlines have rules and many times "embargos" on what you can bring to the DR. Additionally if you can't fit it in a suitcase you probably can't bring it. You will probably have to pay extra for an additional bag or the extra weight. You need to check with your airline carrier as to what you can bring. Small items would be no problem. Are you renting an apartment? Some may come with the things you are considering bringing. If you attempt to bring a TV into the DR be prepared to pay tax on it. In the past people have been able to bring these in in their luggage however things have tightened up and you are taking a chance that your luggage won't be checked either by scan or opened and physically checked. Good luck and good travels

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Coach Bob - If you have the residency status BEFORE you move and ship items...I thought you were permitted to move household goods with the residency visa? I was looking for the reference, I think it was on this site or the customs for DR...I would check but the below link is one form describing this option. I assume you read Spanish.

http://www.consuladord.com/pdfs/Ley_146-00.pdf

I read your link above and linking the migracion page for temporary residency, as I think there's a misunderstanding here:

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/25

Residency visa is the document the Dominican embassy in your home country has issued, valid for 60 days I think. As far as I understand (anyone feel free to point me wrong, I've never intended to import anything here...), the document you link above, is referring to the temporary residency you apply for WITH your residency visa, and that will be issued by the migracion in the DR, not by the embassy in your country.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
For those who have applied for residency and received a document receipt from DGM in Santo Domingo, but have not yet received your Residency card and Cedula, it is difficult to get Customs to wave the taxes on imported household goods. Once you have these cards, the process is a bit easier as you aren't fighting against the system/process. One of the first things newcomers learn about the DR is that officials here tend to resist everything that doesn't follow their crib notes exactly.

You may only claim one tax free import. If you use it for what you consider your essentials and those immediate must have items, you will not be able to make another claim when the bulk of your possessions arrive later. Not everybody moves a container full of stuff, but many do. Getting your stuff here is much easier than getting stuff out of here if you decide to leave later on.

From a practical point of view and something I did not do, Don't actually finalize your move here until you have your residency card. No problem visiting, getting a place to live and even staying there, but don't let your shipping company deliver your possessions including any vehicle you are bringing to the port until you have all of the immigration processes complete.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From a practical point of view and something I did not do, Don't actually finalize your move here until you have your residency card. No problem visiting, getting a place to live and even staying there, but don't let your shipping company deliver your possessions including any vehicle you are bringing to the port until you have all of the immigration processes complete.

Exactly. I waited until I had my residency approved and then imported a container. It was still a hassle and not without paying bribes, but I would do it again if I had to. Anything else you bring in using any method will be subject to some kind of tax if DR customs feels it is worth more than $200. Larger TVs than 32 inches get taxed at about $10 an inch. Using a door to door Dominican shipper with a guaranteed price to your door is probably the best way to go. Of course there are none of those on the west coast of the USA. NY and FL have the most.