Starting a Business in DR

elbronco718

Mar 11, 2018
Hello DR1

I've been doing my research and most likely will end up using Guzmans services but its hard not to be spoiled with all the knowledgeable people in this forum.

- What are the basic steps to starting a legal business in DR?

- How do you deal with hustlers and police who try to extort your business? is this far too common?

- is there any website where i can get info on import taxes if I want to bring in some restaurant equipment

- How long are leases on commercial property usually?

Just confirming there are no liqour licenses in DR. Just open up shop and serve?

- Now that the action is being moved to the end of pedro clisante - do you anticipate sosua will keep the same amount of foot traffic? Or will the foot traffic end up at the end of pedro clisante?

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Well.....just one question: do you speak & understand Spanish?

If your answer is no then my advice is NOT to start a business in the DR, but that's just me...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Well.....just one question: do you speak & understand Spanish?

If your answer is no then my advice is NOT to start a business in the DR, but that's just me...

Nonsense .. Find a nice Local girl, marry her, make her your business partner, and she will also teach your English too..

He cant lose ....

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
you dont need to send restaurant equipment here, you can buy it from the last gringo who did it. Sosua and Cabarete both have lots of restaurants for sale right now, Leaf and Los Gringos are two in Cbarete but many more. Sosua is going through another change forcing bars down to the end of Pedro Clisante (the main street). Tourists now are being pressured to get residency just for a 2 month holiday so many factors here to consider. Your restaurant idea better be spectacular with great food at cheap prices or could be trouble. As for police pressure etc. nothing you can do but deal with it as it comes, lawyers cant do much there but take your money.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
There we go again, another "businessman" asking complete strangers on a forum about how to do business in the dog eat dog world of heavenly DR.
I have something for you!!!
They're selling the bridge on 27 de febrero, you can pick it up cheap and charge toll.
You'd be making a killing!!!!! ;)

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
There we go again, another "businessman" asking complete strangers on a forum about how to do business in the dog eat dog world of heavenly DR.
I have something for you!!!
They're selling the bridge on 27 de febrero, you can pick it up cheap and charge toll.
You'd be making a killing!!!!! ;)

...if they would sell the floating bridge I would be more than interested... :p

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello DR1

I've been doing my research and most likely will end up using Guzmans services but its hard not to be spoiled with all the knowledgeable people in this forum.

- How do you deal with hustlers and police who try to extort your business? is this far too common?

- is there any website where i can get info on import taxes if I want to bring in some restaurant equipment

Just confirming there are no liqour licenses in DR. Just open up shop and serve?

- Now that the action is being moved to the end of pedro clisante - do you anticipate sosua will keep the same amount of foot traffic? Or will the foot traffic end up at the end of pedro clisante?

You are considering opening a restaurant/bar in Sosua? Really? Bad idea from the get go. Do you have residency in the DR? Do you speak Spanish? Importing any restaurant equipment will cost you a fortune in shipping and taxes. A restaurant is a very risky proposition. In the DR even more. In Sosua even worse. Put your money in a big paper bag and light it on fire. It will be a lot easier than watching your investment slowly drain your bank account.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Nonsense .. Find a nice Local girl, marry her, make her your business partner, and she will also teach your English too..

He cant lose ....

And she will teach you Dominican laws...cost you more then Guzman but in house training priceless..

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hello DR1

With all due respect: In a nutshell, asking these questions is a clear indication you are not going to be successful with ANY business in the DR anywhere in the immediate future. You have much to learn, young Luke.

My NYC amigo - what they said above.

From what I gather - Sosua has not recovered from world financial crisis from 2007ish. North Coast would get lots of Brits, Germans, etc - but I'd say since 10 yrs ago its been bad there - with lots of bar/restaurant turnover. Others can be more specific ...