Apartment Security

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
I wonder if someone can help. My wife bought an apartment which seems almost perfect for our needs. It has security. We get a monthly bill. At first they said that we have to pay for the months before we moved in. They agreed that the builder should pay. We paid the monthly fee. Since then every month we get a demand as if we have not ever paid and now they are putting late fees of around 12% on to the bill. We have paid every month and don't really know what to do. They said that if you don't pay the bill then they put a lien on the property.
Every month my wife goes to the office and the woman says no problem but they say we owe them what we have paid. We have all the receipts. It is really strange. We are being treated like criminals when we have done all we could.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I wonder if someone can help. My wife bought an apartment which seems almost perfect for our needs. It has security. We get a monthly bill. At first they said that we have to pay for the months before we moved in. They agreed that the builder should pay. We paid the monthly fee. Since then every month we get a demand as if we have not ever paid and now they are putting late fees of around 12% on to the bill. We have paid every month and don't really know what to do. They said that if you don't pay the bill then they put a lien on the property.
Every month my wife goes to the office and the woman says no problem but they say we owe them what we have paid. We have all the receipts. It is really strange. We are being treated like criminals when we have done all we could.

Go with your wife to the office and ask for a statement of your account. Take copies of the receipts.

Once again, make sure you go with your wife...

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
If you follow Roberts advice - When you are there inform them in writing that this in an important matter and you will be persuing an immediate solution, either with them Or via third party means, whose costs they will have to carry.

Make sure you have a letter to that effect drafted by your laywer and bring it to the office, film the delivery of the letter and have your laywer witness the event

Demand a final and documented statement, dated and signed by an appropriate officer as regards the status of your account. 

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
I do not know if this is your case, but if you purchased the property, (i.e.) then moved in 2 months afterwards, you need to pay those months.

I moved in my apartment 5 months after purchasing it, once I moved in, the administration gave me the bill for those months. The responsibility of the propietario starts upon purchase, not when you move it. I only learned about this when I moved to DR. 

My 2 cents......

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
I do not know if this is your case, but if you purchased the property, (i.e.) then moved in 2 months afterwards, you need to pay those months.

I moved in my apartment 5 months after purchasing it, once I moved in, the administration gave me the bill for those months. The responsibility of the propietario starts upon purchase, not when you move it. I only learned about this when I moved to DR. 

My 2 cents......

The bills are for 2 months before purchase. Our neighbor said that everybody gets this and to sort it out with Teddy - the construction co. We are going this afternoon.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The bills are for 2 months before purchase. Our neighbor said that everybody gets this and to sort it out with Teddy - the construction co. We are going this afternoon.

Excellent. Let's us know how it all works out.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I know Teddy quite well and will be happy to intercede if there is any confusion.

Of course, if you have receipts, they should be on hand for any meeting. I am assuming that these are maintenance payments? or monthly installments on the property?

No matter what, I know the company well and will help where I can. I also know the woman who sold you the apartment. Do as Robert has said and we can meet with them. You can PM me is you want.

Cordially,

HB

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
A quick update. When you buy a place from Teddy you get a discount if you buy before the building is finished. My wife saw the property as one of many that Teddy is building. When she decided on the one for her the price had gone up 150,000pesos. She saw Teddy's lawyer today and found out that the price has gone up by a million as the place is fully completed. The lawyer said that she would sort out the security company but we were told that things would get sorted out before. Just waiting for Guzman to do the deslinde which takes ages. Mosy people buy before the place is completed for the huge discount so the sucurity company charges from the date the building goes live.

May 4, 2018
Yeah, we had a similar issue with the power guys, but we found out it was a scam for cash. I got suspicious when the guy got mad when I told him to talk to the landlord(who pays) and asked for a paper bill. I went to take some photos of him and he decided to "come back later". Three weeks ago and the power's still on and he hasn't been back.

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
Thanks for your help. We went in to pay this month and demanded a statement. They said it wasn't necessary and billed us the right amount. I hope it is fixed.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thanks for your help. We went in to pay this month and demanded a statement. They said it wasn't necessary and billed us the right amount. I hope it is fixed.

Get a statement showing what has been paid to date. Or, it could well come back to bite you!

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Aaah, the price of doing business in the DR. At one point in time, I was temped to rent a condo in Bavaro, but after all the horror stories and scams I've heard about on DR1, none of those scoundrels will get a peso from me.