Advice - leaving tomorrow

Ann-Marie

Apr 29, 2002
I am leaving for the DR tomorrow at 6am and have never been there. I am staying at an all-inclusive (Coral Hamaca in Boca Chica to be exact), because I am attending a conference and that is the location of it. Can anyone give me any advice? I've been browsing the message boards and have seen a lot of messages indicating that the AI places aren't the most popular - or aren't the best places to stay. Specifically, I'm concerned about health and/or safety issues. I'm well traveled (been to Nairobi Kenya) and have experience keeping safe - when I know what I need to do and watch for.

THANKS!

Sandy G

Mar 2, 2002
Relax and have fun....don't drink the water, don't open your mouth in the shower, I avoided salads and did well, tip the maid, bring an insulated cup (walmart, 88cents), go buy some zinc oxide tonight....the sun burns no matter what you do and you'll no doubt have some body part that needs total coverage and relief.

DR is no Kenya....stay in your resort, don't shop alone...just chill out and enjoy a beautiful island.

Cheers

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Stay in yoru resort????????

I stayed at the Hamaca a couple weeks ago and it was beautiful. What was even more beautiful was venturing out into the close knit and interesting local town.

Main Street is a great place to shop during the day, find a meal that is "different" than what is offered at the resort, and after about midnight the street is one huge block party until 4-5am

Make sure you DO leave your resort, we never experienced any problems

Janice

Misty

Mar 4, 2002
Ann-Marie

The Coral Hamaca is a very safe hotel as there have 24 hour security guards. I have gone shopping in Boca Chica during the day by myself and haven't had any problems. Just don't leave the resort alone at night. The one thing is do not drink the tap water. They supply bottled water in your room and there are plenty of places to get water around the hotel. I have brushed my teeth with the tap water (not swallowing it) and haven't been sick.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The Hamaca

The Hamaca is a fine AI to stay at for a first visit to the D.R.
Enjoy. Regards, PJT :)

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Sandy G said:
Relax and have fun....don't drink the water, don't open your mouth in the shower, I avoided salads and did well, tip the maid, bring an insulated cup (walmart, 88cents), go buy some zinc oxide tonight....the sun burns no matter what you do and you'll no doubt have some body part that needs total coverage and relief.

DR is no Kenya....stay in your resort, don't shop alone...just chill out and enjoy a beautiful island.

Cheers

STAY INTHE RESORT? What a terrible disrespectful and ignorant statement! For crying out loud, get out of the resort, meet the kind and beautiful Dominicans who don't work in the AI resorts. Use common sense, speak to the people, try and see some of the country. Even if you don't speak Spanish, smiles go a long long way! If you stay in the resort you will be doing yourself and the country a disservice. You might just as well be in Miami or any other country with a hot climate. It's also like saying if you go to New York stay in your hotel.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
About as unsafe at night as your basement

Misty said:
Ann-Marie

. Just don't leave the resort alone at night

Since the main drag starts at the front door of the hamaca ( well the bach entrance anyway) and is all of 2 1/2 blocks long it is prety safe at night - don't get loaded and wander off on side street but day or night wander around, see the people have some fun. What a silly thing to say really.

Misty

Mar 4, 2002
I don't think what I said to Ann-Marie was at all silly. Being a woman, I personally would not wander around Boca Chica alone at night by myself no matter how small it is and am just making a suggestion to another woman. It is a little different for men. I wouldn't walk around at night alone by myself even where I live.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Misty, your comments are far out. I don't know where you live but if you cant go out at night I recommend that you move woman!

I have walked all around the country at all hours of the night and have never had a problem. I have seen women do the same. The advice to be careful is good advice.

My only advice is NOT to drink the water and NOT to brush your teeth in it. Keeping your mouth closed in the shower is a good idea also. Water is NOT potable there and you WILL get sick unless your body is way used to it which it probably isnt.

Enjoy the DR. I find it to be heaven on earth. Take what the Dominican men say with a grain of salt. Same for the women.

I just got back 2 days ago. I will go back in a month or two.

Regards