DR1 Daily News Article regarding robbery..

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
In the article it states that the robbers stole a few things including US 200K.

Do any of you think it is common for people in the DR to have $200K in their homes?

thoughts?

10 years in jail for stealing US$200,000
Judges of the First Collegiate Court sentenced Quandary Martínez de los Santos, Ariel Santana and Leito Alberto Acosta to 10 years in jail each for the theft of US$200,000 against Alberto Alexis Diaz Ceara, a resident on Calle Eduardo ******* in Bella Vista. The robbery occurred on 13 December 2016. The thieves held up maid Miguelina Arias, forcing her to open the door to the house. They next gained access to a house safe from which they removed US$200,000 in cash, passports, vehicle registrations and other documents, according to prosecutors Paola Vasquez and Maria Cristina Benitez. The men were ordered to serve the sentences at the La Victoria Jail.

https://noticiassin.com/republica-do...e-bella-vista/

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don’t think it’s common, but it happens. Several years ago, close friends of ours, who own businesses in DR, had $100,000 USD stolen from their home.  I don’t remember if it was there to buy merchandise or if it was from a sale.  The maid was involved.  

Their new home has cameras in every room and hallway. 

AKA “How the other half lives”.  I’ll never have to worry about having that much cash in my house, lol. 

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Plenty of money swilling around in Bella Vista, but that is a lot. It would suggest the victim had reason(??) to hold such a large amount in cash.

It is a sentence for a crime in late 2016

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...o-de-200-mil-dolares-en-bella-vista-HM9790458

I often use Scotiabank in the Bella Vista Mall and some very large sums of money in cash get deposited and withdrawn whilst I am queuing and the customers don't look like shop keepers. Plenty of police guarding the Mall last Friday too.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I hear everyone. I figured that was a big sum to have a home no matter what your wealth is. There are things as ssaftey deposit boxes in banks and having that much money is a risk.

AE, as you mentioned, opens you upt\ to being robbed by people on the inside.

These individuals are lucky to be alive.

thanks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Do any of you think it is common for people in the DR to have $200K in their homes?

like AE said, it happens. not everyone is so keen on the banks where you need to explain where the money comes from. and some folks do not trust banks full stop. for others, maybe it's their getaway money or emergency stash in case of natural disasters, social disturbances or whatnot.

Do bank safe deposit boxes exist in DR?  

yes.

Jan 9, 2004
I don’t think it’s common, but it happens. Several years ago, close friends of ours, who own businesses in DR, had $100,000 USD stolen from their home.  I don’t remember if it was there to buy merchandise or if it was from a sale.  The maid was involved.  

Their new home has cameras in every room and hallway. 

AKA “How the other half lives”.  I’ll never have to worry about having that much cash in my house, lol. 

I did not think so either............but, I surprisingly have encountered situations involving clients wherein $50-100k cash deals are not uncommon....in small trusted business circles....none of which involve illegal proceeds...it is more a mistrust of both banks and the government itself.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
like AE said, it happens. not everyone is so keen on the banks where you need to explain where the money comes from. and some folks do not trust banks full stop. for others, maybe it's their getaway money or emergency stash in case of natural disasters, social disturbances or whatnot.

yes.

Not sure what DR laws are but you are NOT allowed to keep CASH in US Bank Safe Deposit Boxes .... nor even remotely Legal...
Its a federal offense.. in fact.
again, not sure how it is in DR, but I imagine the same ..

would be curious IF the DR Banking Laws are different ..
If it is legal, maybe they were getting ready to do exactly that , .. and never made it to the bank ?

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Not sure what DR laws are but you are NOT allowed to keep CASH in US Bank Safe Deposit Boxes .... nor even remotely Legal...
Its a federal offense.. in fact.
again, not sure how it is in DR, but I imagine the same ..

would be curious IF the DR Banking Laws are different ..
If it is legal, maybe they were getting ready to do exactly that , .. and never made it to the bank ?

I do not know about the DR, but in the US, it IS legal and not a federal offense to keep cash in a safe deposit box. For many reasons I would not recommended it, and some bank policies do not allow it. It is not covered by FDIC insurance, is subject to creditors and once you pass away, family cannot come and just take items from there; it gets locked down and only the executor can take items after showing proper documentation.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
It is illegal to intentionally take Money out of Circulation, for long periods of time .. some type of Hoarding Fed Law... A man who was hoarding Pennies was even busted and forced to turn them in to the banks.. As I recall he had like $40,000 in Pennies, in 2 Liter Soda Bottles building a wall .
The 2nd is , the Feds can make you PROVE that you paid taxes on the cash you are storing in a safety dep box .. and if you can not prove that, it becomes an immediate problem for you, the likes of which can land you in Prison for a Long long time..

As to the Legal statues and specific laws ? , I do not know. .... but this is what Bank Official will tell you ask themabout putting Cash in your Safety deposit box .. but who knows maybe they are all Liars ... it certainly is possible .

Many other things are also ILLEGAL, such as Guns, and Stolen items, and Drugs obviously....
Can one try to store them.. Sure why not, long as u are not caught, and no one turns you in for it ...

and now I have gone off topic, non DR Related and will probably receive a warning for it ..

But i was just curious what a Dominican Bank would say ?? I'm guessing there is NO way they will allow it , why would they ?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
That's a lot of money to keep on hand. I can see a few thousand but $200k could easily get you killed anywhere let alone here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Some people are not able to use banks... certain ‘professions ‘

Garbage cans, paper bags...suitcases.... anything works 

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Uncommon yes, does it happen yes. But is it possible there was some embellishment on what/how much was taken? That I have also seen happen.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I would think that people would not just be able to easily knock on your front door if you store hundreds of thousands of dollars in your home. Banking in the DR is not the smoothest thing especially if you have money overseas and trying to bring into the country.

The lack of trust and stability for some of these banks may be a reason why many will stash their cash at home. I know good people who are not into any illegal businesses who would rather do a transaction in cash.

Some of this has been embedded in their head from a young age. Don't trust a bank with your money.