Now, I know this is futile. But

Beachboy

Apr 29, 2018
Beachboy asking - I am from Peterborough UK. Ended up living in Canada half my life and 2 years here (off and on). Is anyone from Peterborough UK on this site? During my time in Canada I asked this many times to Brits over there - (hardly anyone knew where P'boro was in UK) so, even though it's remote, I'm still asking......

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I went to Ramsey Abbey school in Ramsey near Peterborough if that counts.

matilda

Beachboy

Apr 29, 2018
Hi Matilda
We are practically kissing cousins. I spent most of my ill gotten youth on Saturday nights travelling to the Gaiety ballroom dances in Ramsey -with big live famous bands of the day 1967 onwards (luckily seen all the big groups live), it was one of the big venues to meet all the beautiful girls and dance your heart away. If I recall, we had a free bus there and back, the bus dropped us off at P'boro Bowling Ally around 2.00am and we bowled, had breakfast, getting home just before noon Sunday. I guess we call then the good old days, back then you were a mod or rocker (I was a mod - Lambretta scooter - full of chrome racks, mirrors big floopy aerial, desert boots, parka, levi's etc) did you enjoy that scene? happy days...

Beachboy

Apr 29, 2018
Hi beeza
Have two cousins work in the passport office in P'boro, are you from around those parts?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In 1967 I was in Singapore I think and was a tad young to be a mod or a rocker. I was more in the skinhead and hippy days - I was a hippy. My mum still lives not that far away near St. Ives. Where are you in the DR?

Matilda

Beachboy

Apr 29, 2018
OK, that's away from P'boro about 3 hrs driving. I'm located in Cocotal Golf villas/condos in Bavaro here in DR

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Reside in Cocotal Golf Course villas/condos in Bavaro

What makes me think you like beaches?

I also used the passport office in P'boro when I need to renew in a day. I was based in Milton Keynes before relocating to the Caribbean and am now in the capital.

With a several hours wait it was always a case of finding somewhere to relax for lunch and a pub by the Nene was suggested. I believe it was the Black Horse at Elton that got my business and probably a ploughman's lunch.....perhaps with Stilton being it was a local cheese........I do miss Stilton and Gorgonzola nor Blue Cheese will ever make up for it.

A question....is Stilton available anywhere in DR?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I also renewed my passport in Peterboro and had my Dominican marriage cert with me as I wanted to change my name on my passport. It was in Spanish and the passport lady told me it had to be translated into English so I told her i could translate it for her there and then - so I just told her what it said and no problem. Imagine doing that in the DR?

Matilda

Beachboy

Apr 29, 2018
Yes, I love the beach, growing up in P'boro my family had a caravan (trailer -in USA) at Hunstanton about 45 mins drive on the east coast, not famous for its beach, pebbles, cold gray murky ocean (stand ankle deep you cannot see your toes). However, spend all my school holidays there, freedom to roam any and everywhere without any modern day concerns. My grand parents and later my Mum and Dad's ashes were spread there. I remember my Grandparents ritual well. I was young, their ashes were mixed into a supermarket plastic bag, the whole family grabbed a hand full including me. However I threw mine into the wind (what did I know) they all came back and covered me, I screamed my eyes out, my dad threw me in the water to clean me up, everyone thought it was hilarious. I want my ashes spread on Bavaro beach, ( I'm spoilt, Hunstanton too cold for me). I hope the person doing it remembers about the wind.....

P'boro area beautiful, many great English country style pubs/food. - If only it would stop raining....

I don't know about Stilton cheese in DR, but it, along with tons of British food brands can be purchased on Amazon.com. I buy many items, have amazon ship it to Miami (free) delivered to my Jet Pack location, they fly it and delivery to Jet Pack in Bavaro I then nip in and pay and pick them up, (about 1 to 2 weeks total -200RD per pound).

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Well done for finding a way to get a bit of DR content in!
The only way the General Forum will improve is if controlled comment on non DR stuff is allowed as is the case with this thread which builds the community rather than fracture it. Thanks AE for letting it flow.

I would love to see a music and arts section in the General Forum which allows, Racer we are on,
as well as local music, concert news, movies, local cinema, television, both local and foreign and so on. Food too local and foreign and we have some great community members for this. The General Forum imo needs a revamp to reflect the changing social media platforms available, serve residents and visitors past and present and encourage more anglophile Dominican participation whilst being a travel advice and review platform amongst other things.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed

Ludicrous that when we point to an example from another domaine that it can be blocked/deleted...
can be - not always is

In Yugoslavia the rule that works is .... blah blah

No Go Joe... nonDR

How will we learn or explain if we cannot refer to other venues to cite examples.

Sometimes it's over moderated --
other times , not enough.

inconsistent

I say thius as objectively as I can...
having been a victim once or twice...or more

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Agreed

Ludicrous that when we point to an example from another domaine that it can be blocked/deleted...
can be - not always is

In Yugoslavia the rule that works is .... blah blah

No Go Joe... nonDR

How will we learn or explain if we cannot refer to other venues to cite examples.

Sometimes it's over moderated --
other times , not enough.

inconsistent

I say thius as objectively as I can...
having been a victim once or twice...or more

Each moderator handles their forums as they see fit, one size does not fit all, so there will be differences between forums. 

Carlos is the new mod for the General Forum. This is the living forum.

As Super Mod, I just assist the mods when they need something done (access to more bells & whistles), and moderate the forums without assigned mods. 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Perhaps that's where the inconsistencies arise...

Just sign up to be a mod...
bring your own toolbox.

Really needs a pattern ...

Am I crazy on this ??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Perhaps that's where the inconsistencies arise...

Just sign up to be a mod...
bring your own toolbox.

Really needs a pattern ...

Am I crazy on this ??

Just on this??  :)

There are some hard, fast rules.  No religion, no race, no off topic posts, posts must be DR related. They can be bent a bit, or not.  For example, I’m lenient to a point in the Haiti Forum regards mentioning race.  The non-DR posts can be a slippery slope, as can be off topic posts, meaning not pertaining to the Original Post #1