Invisible insects. Meme?

May 4, 2018
I took our dog out for a walk just before dark yesterday and found my ankles and hands covered with tiny insect bites. They bugs were still on me but I couldn't see them. My wife said they were "meme" and I had to wash to get rid of them. They were so tiny I couldn't see them even up close. They apparently only come out in force right before dark. Anyone know what these are? Mites? The bites are like tiny pinpricks. I've encountered "No see ums" in the US, but these are even smaller.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I took our dog out for a walk just before dark yesterday and found my ankles and hands covered with tiny insect bites. They bugs were still on me but I couldn't see them. My wife said they were "meme" and I had to wash to get rid of them. They were so tiny I couldn't see them even up close. They apparently only come out in force right before dark. Anyone know what these are? Mites? The bites are like tiny pinpricks. I've encountered "No see ums" in the US, but these are even smaller.
Mayes, aka "biting midges."

They are a cross between a mosquito and pirhana, and their origin is around Milton's fifth Circle of Hell.

They actually leave behind a sort of anesthesia when they bite, so the bites don't itch for a day or so. But when they DO begin to itch, do NOT scratch with your fingernail. Scratch with the fleshy part of your finger instead. Breaking the skin where they bite can cause a nasty infection similar to staph.

Their bite location will turn purple and take a few weeks to fully disappear.

Condolences.

FWIW, orange Off! is a good proactive solution: ir has enough DEET to be effective, but not so much to keep bears away.

vida

Mar 18, 2010
I have something similar in Santo Domingo.  Unidos sells a natural spray on which actually works.  I take them to be no see ums.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

Well depends where you are but there are several types of bugs that bite usually in the morming and evening.  Mayes are nasty tiny bugs that usually go for the ankles and will affect you more if you are not used to them.  There is another one called Abuso that are red and that last for days.  They actually live in your skin for a few days.  

If you want to control in your grass garden you can blanket spray with insect insecticide.  

A very good relief for these insect bytes is Zinc Oxide which is usually found in baby nappy rash cream.  

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I find if you put aloe Vera on it fresh from garden even mosquitoes bites go away almost instantly or by 2nd application 1/2 hr later.. dusk to dawn you can win ...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

This is very common in the DR. If you are planning to go out walking at dusk you will need bug spray.