Current Cost to Airport

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
How much is it to go from the Metro bus to SDQ?
Won't have wifi when I arrive so can't use Uber.
Was thinking of calling Apollo when I arrive.

Also how long will it take going around 12 or 1 today Friday?
Thanks!

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
What time is your flight? Noon in Santo Domingo is very crazy and maybe can take you arround 45 minutes to get out of Santo Domingo, if you can arrive between 10:30 am and 11:00 am would be the best for you as you are going to SDQ. If prices didnt change yet can cost a taxi between 1,200.00 and 1,300.00 pesos.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Thanks!

Probably read this post way too late but if traveling with not much luggage I would take Caribe Tours and get off at avenida luperon. Next take the Metro underground Line 2 to the last stop Eduardo Brito and take a taxi from there. Mid-day traffic especially on a Friday in Santo Domingo Centro resembles a huge parking lot.

(came back to edit) above comment is if you are coming from the north into SD.

Just curious but can't you buy a data package to use?

My guess a taxi at Metro bus depot will be in the 1,300 pesos range. If you are pinched for time don't waste time calling a taxi but use one of the Metro taxis waiting.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Santo-Domingo-Dominican-Republic
I haven't used this but maybe it is of use for some people.
Of course one could phone Apollo Taxi at 809-537-0000 and see what the rate is. I have been charged 1300 pesos from Caribe Tours Terminal to Las Americas as recently as last year. My wifes cousin who is a very reliable tacxi drivers charges us less than 1000 but that's a family discount.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
If you can’t use Uber, then Apollo Is best bet.  12-1 is traffic nightmare time in SD.  

I will go for APOLO TAXI (809-537-0000) reputable drivers with background ck serving transportation in SD since 1984.

JJ

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The Metro station is a bit out of the way, UBER is best bet as far as cost. I still wouldn't pay more than 800 though

Mcinbrass did you miss the fact that the OP will NOT have internet connection when arriving at Metro bus depot?

If you will not pay over 800 pesos for a taxi from Metro bus depot to SDQ airport mid-day on a Friday I sure hope you arrive very early as it will be one long, hot WALK to the airport. Drink plenty of water.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I wouldn't recommend using Uber to the airport. The company has fixed a rate with drivers which they all think is too low. They don't know where you're going until they get to you, and as soon as they see it's the airport, they often refuse to take you (I've had this happen several times). The only way around this is to offer them a big tip, maybe RD$ 500. It's all a pain if you are in a rush to get a flight.

For the airport, I'd suggest using Apollo.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I wouldn't recommend using Uber to the airport. The company has fixed a rate with drivers which they all think is too low. They don't know where you're going until they get to you, and as soon as they see it's the airport, they often refuse to take you (I've had this happen several times). The only way around this is to offer them a big tip, maybe RD$ 500. It's all a pain if you are in a rush to get a flight.

For the airport, I'd suggest using Apollo.

Now there is a valuable bit of information....

Take note - UBER lovers

So far I haven't had this problem going to the airport but being picked up at the airport I have had the driver ask me to cancel and pay in cash.

The fares to and from the airport are ridiculously low. A most recent trip from Gazcue to the airport was 652 pesos. Shucks if I was an Uber driver I would refuse to do the trip also. All of Uber fares are way too low and the main reason why I always give a tip. Uber is going to have to raise their rates or they will be without drivers. I also noticed most recently in SD DN a lot of the drivers are Venezuelans who may just be a bit more desperate to earn some cash.

I still prefer and love Uber but a fare increase would definitely be the right thing to do.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It seems the UBER experience in SD is an experience !!
hehe

I'm not a big fan of them... but I'm considered different by many

When I call for a car - I want to be driven - not to negotiate.
And in NYC - UBER is slower than the Yellow Cab

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Fares just went up a bit to help offset gas prices, operating costs and earnings. Uber is still trying to grab market share. They want to make the service really attractive and grow rapidly.

In the month's to come, it is hoped that taxi mafia takes notice forcing a change from the armed encampment around hotels and airports that seems to be the game plan now. Wages for Uber drivers will rise and based on the number of short trips one driver can conceivably do in a day, a decent wage is not an issue. If a driver wants to makes their days take by 9 am, then they are being unrealistic. Uber has to hustle for business and so do its drivers. Some drivers have never thought this way before.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Fares just went up a bit to help offset gas prices, operating costs and earnings. Uber is still trying to grab market share. They want to make the service really attractive and grow rapidly.

In the month's to come, it is hoped that taxi mafia takes notice forcing a change from the armed encampment around hotels and airports that seems to be the game plan now. Wages for Uber drivers will rise and based on the number of short trips one driver can conceivably do in a day, a decent wage is not an issue. If a driver wants to makes their days take by 9 am, then they are being unrealistic. Uber has to hustle for business and so do its drivers. Some drivers have never thought this way before.

I think those of us who use Uber regularly can confirm that they are struggling to find the right pricing point in Santo Domingo. The fares go down, the drivers all leave, then you are on surge pricing most of the time as nobody is driving, then the fares go up, then drivers join, then they go down again. I understand that the Uber franchise in Dom Rep is owned by Venezuelans. Regarding trips to the airport though it is a mess and having nearly missed a flight after two Ubers refused to take me without a 1000 tip (yes seriously) I have given up on them.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

Thanks!

That would be from $1,250-$1,500. You can call Aero or Apolo, get a quote and make a reservation.
Aerotaxi: (809)233-8000 Apolo: (809) 537-0000. Keep in mind that at this time, traffic is beyond awful in SD.

Making a reservation is good, they won't send you a wreck, but a better car, appropriate for the amount of people who are traveling.
I've make reservations for myself and other people and the taxis were extremely prompt.