Shipping a Television

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
I've spent 30 minutes reading through old posts and still haven't found an answer, so I am going to post this question again.

If I ship a 43 inch television that was purchased for less than 200.00 (including tax/shipping) will I be taxed and if so, how much? 

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Minimum 18% on the value they give it. Its like throwing darts at a spinning roulette wheel.
So if they think its worth $700 US then you pay tax on that. TV's have come down in price here. You might want to look around before you ship one.
Try Plaza Lama.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I believe the max size cutoff for tax free TV imports is 36 inches. A larger TV even if providing a receipt for less than $200 will be taxed (could be taxed, if Customs feels like doing so) at an amount based on the book retail value of the TV that is determined by customs.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Minimum 18% on the value they give it. Its like throwing darts at a spinning roulette wheel.
So if they think its worth $700 US then you pay tax on that. TV's have come down in price here. You might want to look around before you ship one.
Try Plaza Lama.

This thread can be closed as no more needs to be said. (just joking)

@ OP check with your door to door shipper for the per inch rates. This seems to be set in stone regardless of how much you actually paid for the TV.

Anything above a 32" which you can bring in on the plane with you free of duty is IMO better off being purchased in la rep dom.

Plaza Lama, at least in SD, has a good selection.

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
With salcedo shipping in the Bronx, you pay 10$ per inch. So 50 inch tv is 500$. I plan on looking into how much a mail corrier will charge this week. Ill keep you posted.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
According to the rep at BM Cargo, you will pay 21% import duties of whatever retail value they decide to put on your TV + 18% VAT.

Jan 9, 2004
I've spent 30 minutes reading through old posts and still haven't found an answer, so I am going to post this question again.

If I ship a 43 inch television that was purchased for less than 200.00 (including tax/shipping) will I be taxed and if so, how much? 

If it is below the $200.00 threshold and you can establish that to Aduana's satisfaction, you are fine.

If you, for whatever reason, are unable to establish that to their satisfaction, you will be taxed 20% Gravamen, 10% Selectivo, 18% ITBIS.............all on their value.

It is a question that comes up alot..........and you will no doubt receive other replies.

What I post is the law..........not necessarily what your experience might be.

Good luck.

Brought a 32" through at Christmas with documented receipts from a major US retailer (under $200.00).........no issues

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Don't waste your time. Too much aggravation, and in the end you will save the middle of a bagel............

Jan 9, 2004
any TV above 32 inches is taxed, regardless of the value.

From my shipper.....there is no law that taxes TV's above 32"..............but Aduana has traditionally taxed them and even 32" TV's and under...........several years ago.......as they could not possibly meet the $200.00 threshold....and most of the receipts indicating that were falsified.

As prices on TV's have fallen and continue to fall..........Aduana has adjusted with the times..............BUT they do heavily scrutinize anything above 32"......as many people just create their own receipts.

Which is why if you are going to attempt to bring a TV above 32" in without using a mudanza..............you have bulletproof documentation......and even then......one might meet resistance not worth the hassle.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
From my shipper.....there is no law that taxes TV's above 32"..............but Aduana has traditionally taxed them and even 32" TV's and under...........several years ago.......as they could not possibly meet the $200.00 threshold....and most of the receipts indicating that were falsified.

As prices on TV's have fallen and continue to fall..........Aduana has adjusted with the times..............BUT they do heavily scrutinize anything above 32"......as many people just create their own receipts.

Which is why if you are going to attempt to bring a TV above 32" in without using a mudanza..............you have bulletproof documentation......and even then......one might meet resistance not worth the hassle.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Aduana taxes virtually everything over $200, especially electronics and TV's. Where did you see that TV's are tax exempt?

Jan 9, 2004
Aduana taxes virtually everything over $200, especially electronics and TV's. Where did you see that TV's are tax exempt?

Yes they do.

Products under $200.00, including TV's enter without further payment.

The point from my shipper was that screen size does not matter......not that TV's are tax exempt.........what matters is the value given to the product by Aduana dictates what/if tax is assessed.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes they do.

Products under $200.00, including TV's enter without further payment.

The point from my shipper was that screen size does not matter......not that TV's are tax exempt.........what matters is the value given to the product by Aduana dictates what/if tax is assessed.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

That's pretty much my understanding, too. Screen size doesn't matter. 32" TV's are not officially exempt - it's just that aduana knows that almost all TV's 32" and under cost less than $200 and usually won't tax them.

However, both BM Cargo, EPS, and other sources have told me that on larger TV's, or any other item where they question the value, they are not obligated to honor the value on the receipt(due to falsified receipts)and will apply taxes based on what they determine the fair retail market to be(?).

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
So the correct answer is that there is no clear answer, I'll roll the dice with BM Cargo
and report back. 

Jan 9, 2004
So the correct answer is that there is no clear answer, I'll roll the dice with BM Cargo
and report back. 

Exactly.......depends on many variables.

BM only moves cargo and will likely just charge you a flat price per inch fee up front and be done with it. They do not want to act as a customs clearing agent and spend the time to establish that your TV really was less than $200.00.

They want to clear their container(s) as soon as possible and get everything distributed...not be held up by a TV.....thus the reason they just quote you an all in fee before you ship....

That does not mean you had to pay the tax........merely that they do not want to argue with Aduana about it.....

Expect to pay $200-$250 additional taxes/shipping.

You might have better luck if you brought it in yourself....and you have airtight invoices from a major US retailer.

How convenient or inconvenient do you want the process?

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have actually seen the whole transaction with my own eyes and have actually talked to a custom official at sdq airport.
A woman comes in with a 43 inch TV without a receipt. she was not even worried. she walks right into customs and was let through without a hitch. so I asked the custom official why was she not taxed? he responded that the TV seemed like less than 500 dollars so I just gave her a verbal warning. so then I asked him about the $200 dollar limit on electronic items? he says that TVs 500 dollars or less come in duty free. make sure you bring in the receipt.
so then i saw the same woman outside. so I asked her how did she walk right by customs? she said the gave baggage handler 20 US dollars in his hands and he gave a signal to the custom officer and I was just let go.
so now I have learnt that 500 dollars or less are duty free, not just 200 dollars and TV screen size doesn't matter.
I have thought about bringing in a TV but I am afraid of the warranty. I had brought in a 32 inch HD tv before and it broke down just after a month of use. I was able to make it function by slapping it on the back really hard. some how it helps connect the loose contact inside . so if you bring in a Tv and it breaks down then good luck. No warranty here for that TV as it was bought in USA. I just wait for a sale price here and just buy it. I have bought 2 TVs here .
AZB

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have actually seen the whole transaction with my own eyes and have actually talked to a custom official at sdq airport.
A woman comes in with a 43 inch TV without a receipt. she was not even worried. she walks right into customs and was let through without a hitch. so I asked the custom official why was she not taxed? he responded that the TV seemed like less than 500 dollars so I just gave her a verbal warning. so then I asked him about the $200 dollar limit on electronic items? he says that TVs 500 dollars or less come in duty free. make sure you bring in the receipt.
so then i saw the same woman outside. so I asked her how did she walk right by customs? she said the gave baggage handler 20 US dollars in his hands and he gave a signal to the custom officer and I was just let go.
so now I have learnt that 500 dollars or less are duty free, not just 200 dollars and TV screen size doesn't matter.
I have thought about bringing in a TV but I am afraid of the warranty. I had brought in a 32 inch HD tv before and it broke down just after a month of use. I was able to make it function by slapping it on the back really hard. some how it helps connect the loose contact inside . so if you bring in a Tv and it breaks down then good luck. No warranty here for that TV as it was bought in USA. I just wait for a sale price here and just buy it. I have bought 2 TVs here .
AZB

I have a friend of mine that does the same thing - hands $20 to the baggage handler and just breezes through aduanas w/o them looking at anything.

I don't think that $500 number is correct though(?). I think that is just for Dominicans residing outside the country. There was another thread on this and I think the maximum a gringo can bring in for personal use is $300 - and a lot of people were getting hit up for duties on stuff like TV's and ended up have to leave them at the airport because they didn't have the money with them. Also, aduanas is supposedly cutting down and limiting what could be considered personal use.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have a friend of mine that does the same thing - hands $20 to the baggage handler and just breezes through aduanas w/o them looking at anything.

I don't think that $500 number is correct though(?). I think that is just for Dominicans residing outside the country. There was another thread on this and I think the maximum a gringo can bring in for personal use is $300 - and a lot of people were getting hit up for duties on stuff like TV's and ended up have to leave them at the airport because they didn't have the money with them. Also, aduanas is supposedly cutting down and limiting what could be considered personal use.

so just make sure you speak good spanish and make arrangements with the baggage handler. 20 bucks does the trick just fine.
AZB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No need for Spanish with those boys... they hablan...Ingles

Just hand it over and say ....

No problems ... por favor

you'll fly thru