Lawnmower Rust problem

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If I was so inclined, I might just start up a lawnmower rust proofing business. Another one bites the dust. The deck has rusted out around the wheels which is where it normally happens first with my mowers. As in the past, the engine is just fine, maybe a new blade is in order but if it wasn't for the rusted deck and the now splayed wheels, everything would be good.

Anyone have any tricks to delay the early demise of lawnmower decks apart from keeping them clean. Would a liberal spraying of WD-40 at regular intervals help in the long term, or would that just leave make a gooey mess of oil and grass clippings after cutting the grass?

I'm off to see if the the local repair guy has a deck I can mount my engine onto. If not, I'll be asking shortly for recommendations where a decent price for a new lawnmower can be had.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mine is OLD.... we rinse it after use
WD40 should work

The key is the caretaker... I'm lucky in that regard..
he takes excellent care of the equipment

Proximity to the ocean is the worst culprit -- IMO

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I used a product called LPS Rust Inhibitor on my mower deck. Never had a rust problem and it was easier to clean. I would guess any aerosol lubricant would work.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Buster
Get big wheels if your terrain is rough... 

I have a Toro self drive mower about 6yrs old... still kicking
First mower , different gardner, collapsed in no time... went to steel wheels on it

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Forgot to finish this story so here it is.

My gardener knew a place in Sosua Abajo and was able to get my broken lawnmower deck replaced with a used one that was in better shape. The same place mounted the old engine. $RD 1500 for the deck and $RD 600 to mount the engine. Much cheaper than a new mower.

Those that have not are indeed thrifty out of necessity. Sometimes, that thriftiness is advantageous.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Every few cuttings clean the deck and spray it with any aerosol lubricant that's thicker than WD40. It will last you for years and once it's coated its easy to clean.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Every few cuttings clean the deck and spray it with any aerosol lubricant that's thicker than WD40. It will last you for years and once it's coated its easy to clean.

Same thing I was going to say. I always hosed mine down after every use, and never ran into the problem. I think the rust comes from clumped up grass holding moisture forever, especially if you cut the grass when its a little wet.