new dominican airline to arrive

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Luke 4:12
And Jesus answered him, “It is said, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
flycana aims to be the first low-cost dominican airline with flights as low as 49 bucks (plus taxes and so on) to NYC.
http://z101digital.com/articulos/na...aerolinea-de-bajo-coste-dominicana-05-15-2018

Its Dominican Wings, they was only charter airline that changed now to regular airline and coming back as ULC Air line. its totally diferent than the joke of PAWA. Will be flying with A320 airplanes with 180 seats. Shareholders international are from Flybondy a low cost airline from Argentina together with Dominicans shareholders from Dominican Wings.

So its not exact new airline.

This is the board of the airline
http://flycana.com/nuestro-equipo

Feb 7, 2007
no thanks

I belive this one will be different. With investments from William Shaw, founder and until last month CEO of VivaColombia and Viva Perú, and Mike Powell, ex-CFO of Wizz Air, the second largest LCC in Europe, this one actually might have a chance..

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
PAWA still owes me money. I'm all good with NOT flying on a discount Dominican airline - peace and love

Feb 7, 2007
PAWA still owes me money. I'm all good with NOT flying on a discount Dominican airline - peace and love

These people (Shaw, Powell) put their reputation and money on the table... it's not an airline to be a dry cleaner for Venezuelan "businessmen" like PAWA was ... people who start and run successful airlines, tend to do that repeatedly... example: David Neeleman, Bill Frankie, Carlos Munoz, Lazaro Ros, etc. Shaw and Powell cannot afford to fail. It's simply not an option for them.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
I could never fly on a Dom' air service. They cant look after any god damn thing. Will they look after a airplane????

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Luke 4:12
And Jesus answered him, “It is said, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’

But the remaining part of that bible text goes on to say (luke 4;13); "but if you score a mega-air deal for $35 plus taxes for God's sake take it , Jesus Christ, Holy mother of Mary you'll never get a bitch!!!in' price like this again my disciple. I can tell you this because i am God...i know the future, just dont take the 9am flight next month 12 June...its going into the ocean"

Jan 9, 2004
I belive this one will be different. With investments from William Shaw, founder and until last month CEO of VivaColombia and Viva Perú, and Mike Powell, ex-CFO of Wizz Air, the second largest LCC in Europe, this one actually might have a chance..

I hope so...............but how so?

The DR is already served by so called Ultra Low Cost Carriers.....Spirit and Southwest, and by other low cost carriers like Jetblue.

What exactly is it that they are going to do to beat those airlines....especially on the DR/NYC route.

The competition is welcomed, but they will have to step up their game if the goal is to crack the US market and be successful.

Beyond their experience elsewhere, they will now also be in competition for the number one commodity in short supply for airlines these days.............pilots.

There is and continues to be a shortage of "qualified" pilots......such that top carriers are discontinuing routes because of it. The world's biggest long-haul airline, Emirates, is cutting flights and mothballing some of its fleet.

So either the airlines pay more for "qualified" pilots.....or they go down the food chain.........and that is exactly what many of the ultra low cost carriers do......they hire pilots with minimum experience.

Thanks but no thanks.............I like to save money.....but as a high time private pilot for over 30 years, I understand and appreciate the importance of skill and experience.

Good luck to them though.....

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I hope so...............but how so?

The DR is already served by so called Ultra Low Cost Carriers.....Spirit and Southwest, and by other low cost carriers like Jetblue.

What exactly is it that they are going to do to beat those airlines....especially on the DR/NYC route.

The competition is welcomed, but they will have to step up their game if the goal is to crack the US market and be successful.

Beyond their experience elsewhere, they will now also be in competition for the number one commodity in short supply for airlines these days.............pilots.

There is and continues to be a shortage of "qualified" pilots......such that top carriers are discontinuing routes because of it. The world's biggest long-haul airline, Emirates, is cutting flights and mothballing some of its fleet.

So either the airlines pay more for "qualified" pilots.....or they go down the food chain.........and that is exactly what many of the ultra low cost carriers do......they hire pilots with minimum experience.

Thanks but no thanks.............I like to save money.....but as a high time private pilot for over 30 years, I understand and appreciate the importance of skill and experience.

Good luck to them though.....

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JetBlue is not low cost airline any more, we could say yes to Spirit and Southwest, and Southwest serve only Punta Cana airport where the 99% of the pax are turist and come with vacation package.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Spirit airline only charges 38 cents after fuel and taxes.

Jan 9, 2004
Spirit airline only charges 38 cents after fuel and taxes.

Yes, but their margins on $3.00 bottled water is how they really make their money lol.

Unless flycana is going to fly out of POP, they are going head to head with ultra low cost carrier Spirit on SDQ, STI, and PUJ routes.....and also with Southwest in PUJ.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Feb 7, 2007
Let's not forget that there are also other markets. If they find that PUJ to ROC is making money they will fly there... Direct flight. They don't pretend to be hub airline like PAWA wanted to be. Targeted point to point routes. All USA airlines fly from one or two gateways to the DR. What I believe could be sucecsfull is for example once or twice weekly PUJ to ROC for example (I haven't researched that route so it's just something I made up). It could be Detroit, Kansas City, whatever... The point is it will be point to point flying, and not every day most likely for most of the routes. Plus they could fly to Central and South America, tickets there are very expensive. Dominicans can now go to Colombia Perú and Brazil without visa. I see them opening some routes there. Plus there is a strong demand to the DR from those countries, enough to have several weekly flights to each and actually fill them.

@playacribe2... Yes, pilots will be an issue. A super Airfleets.net, they have 1 x A320. I suppose they are staffed for those. They can very well start with that one, but I expect them to get one more A320 before they do. They don't need more to start, and for that one additional aircraft they would need 8 to 10 pilots if we calculate with 10 to 12 hour daily utilization @ 30 days and 80 hours per pilot. I think they can get 10 pilots by the end of the year.

Everyone needs to take these press releases with reserve. Viva Colombia is at 12 aircraft after 9 years with tremendous growth and huge aviation amekrt in Colombia. Viva Perú had 2 now 1 x A320. Those 25 aircraft are a dream but reality will be about half of that in 8 to 10 years given this market.

Because this market has one very serious problem that causes impediment to more traffic, same problem as Canada has... Huge taxes. Just look at this Wingo PUJ BOG PUJ screenshot below... Taxes are 150% of base fare, and taxes do not include any ridiculous hidden fuel surcharges as is frequently the case with other airlines.
7TTxKDI.jpg

Last edited: