Mariners' Robinson Cano suspended 80 games by MLB

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
How many millions of dollars a year do these morons have to make before they can understand NO DRUGS. I'm pretty sure this was all outlined in his contract.
You really can't fix stupid.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
There are a few players I always wondered about and he was one of them. I always said the truth may (will) come out eventually. 

He was suspect to me not so much because of his performance but because of the accessibility to performance enhancing drugs that he and many players have. Why would he consume anything given to him from a doctor in the DR? Really? 

As a player it his responsibility to ensure that it is not a banned substance. Most are so how hard is it to look at the list or ask the MLB. 

Join the group Robinson. Join the I did not know club....I don’t believe it. You got caught.

-MP.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
He gets paid, no matter what. Union contract. What do I have to lose?

Wrong on that one.

Cano, 35, is in the fifth year of a 10-year, $240 million contract with the Mariners that he signed before the 2014 season. He’s currently on the disabled list with a broken hand.

Cano's suspension will cost him nearly $12 million in salary, along with an immeasurable hit to his athletic resume. USA Today

Sep 4, 2012
Wrong on that one.

Cano, 35, is in the fifth year of a 10-year, $240 million contract with the Mariners that he signed before the 2014 season. He’s currently on the disabled list with a broken hand.

Cano's suspension will cost him nearly $12 million in salary, along with an immeasurable hit to his athletic resume. USA Today

The money and the fact that this will taint him forever, such an awesome career down the drain to meet ARod.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
These guys start getting old like all of us and get tempted to use stuff that will give them an edge.....did not have a big season last year....better to accept human nature and go gracefully.....

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
How many millions of dollars a year do these morons have to make before they can understand NO DRUGS. I'm pretty sure this was all outlined in his contract.
You really can't fix stupid.

They take the substances to prolong their careers so they can continue to earn.

Yes, you really cant fix stupid[emoji849]

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
These guys start getting old like all of us and get tempted to use stuff that will give them an edge.....did not have a big season last year....better to accept human nature and go gracefully.....
Easy for you to say this not having millions of income on the line. Nobody walks away from money gracefully...nobody.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Stupid yes...no matter how much longer he plays and how well, he will always have this "stamp" on him. He knew and those around him knew. It is the "it can't happen/won't happen to me" syndrome.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Cano said he has never taken a PED. He just took a substance(diuretuc) to water down his urine to mask his taking a PED.

The non denial denial apology. A classic. I don't think his stats get him into the HOF anyway.

The MLB gives leeway as to the "intent" of the player that has tested positive for a diuretic. This is laughable. There is only one reason athletes test posi for a diuretic.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Some of you imply that the future matters to baseball players from the DR. Only if that future is the same thing as today.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Apologize for what?????????????? Cano was taking a masking agent to clean his urine samples. This was not the only thing he was taking. A very talented player and could have been a Yankee legend but money was more important than winning and his legacy. I guess I can't blame him but why would a Dominican player leave NYC to play in Seattle? I never understood that move for Robinson Cano? He will lose $12 million US dollars because of his stupidity and his reputation is shot. He will always be looked on as someone taking steroids to enhance his games. Very sad.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Some of you imply that the future matters to baseball players from the DR. Only if that future is the same thing as today.

You're right. Most Dominican ball players could care less about their legacy. They are there for the money and you really can't blame them. Coming out of the DR to become multi-millionaires will be their driving force. In Cano's case it is sad that he may have gone down as the best second baseman the Yankees ever had. He's a great player. Why did he feel the need to take PEDs? He should have stayed in NYC but he let his ego get in the way of his decision making. Sad.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
You're right. Most Dominican ball players could care less about their legacy. They are there for the money and you really can't blame them. Coming out of the DR to become multi-millionaires will be their driving force. In Cano's case it is sad that he may have gone down as the best second baseman the Yankees ever had. He's a great player. Why did he feel the need to take PEDs? He should have stayed in NYC but he let his ego get in the way of his decision making. Sad.

Its all about the people they chose to mingle with. Look at Pedro Martinez, an entire different story and the epitome of hard work, decency and professionalism.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
They take the substances to prolong their careers so they can continue to earn.

Yes, you really cant fix stupid[emoji849]

Easy for you to say this not having millions of income on the line. Nobody walks away from money gracefully...nobody.

He was in the middle of a ten year $240 million contract. I believe that unlike the NFL, somebody in the MLB would have had to pay him until the expiration of the contract, even if he spent the next five on the DL. The only entity with financial motivation for him to use PEDs was the team. So yeah, pretty stupid.