Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do locals handle this heat? i just returned from Las Terrenas / The capital...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mm530 View Post
    I come from the US where AC is common. The heat this week was unbearable . Just oppressive! how do expats or locals handle it ?? I mean the carritos, comedores and colmados never have ac. I undertand the economic reality of having an AC is Rep dom but jesus ! lol .
    As a an american we always seek the sun but I can see now why people hate the noon time sun !!

whats your trick ?? and is AC THAT much more expensive here ??? with the world getting hotter what will give ??
    Those who live in the Mountains or the Beach are fine. Those of us in the city have brain damage from the heat

2. Likes CRL2017 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I live on a cliff with the Trade Winds blowing all the time.

When they blow hot - I put a fan at the end of my bed

Done

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It's easy... AC in the house, AC in the car, AC in the office and if the restaurant, bar or business doesn't have AC, then I go on to the next one. The only time I don't have AC is at the beach, and then you just jump in and cool off. Being a Gringo from the States I like everything cool with AC and my water hot for showers..... lol

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysrock View Post
    This is still not warm really. Locals are used to it just like I am getting used to it. I dislike heat and dread the summer every year but I am acclimated now. No way will I go in a Pool or the ocean in the winter, way too cold!!
    Stay out of the sun as much as possible, drink lots of beer, put a damp cloth around your neck. Always be around a fan or Ac...
    I found drinking alcohol made me much warmer, so one huge upside to not drinking anymore, I don’t get he heat flashes like I did with alcohol.

Good luck bc heat sucks it imo. 
    There, fixed it for ya.

6. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

THIS IS SIMPLY AN OBSERVATION.... a lot of negative Nancy saying " If you can't take the heat"... PLEASE.

I am in my mid 20's and travel ( and will continue) to DR several times a year and explore the various regions on DR. I was simply wondering how do locals do it and never wearing shorts.

It was something of culture shock how people just carry on with what I would consider "oppressive" heat. That is all. I am not here to change anyone or anything and don't care to.

My Dominican mami never wants to go to the beach before 3 and I usually wanna seize the day and head out ...now it makes sense. I am ALWAYS sweating ... yet never saw any one else sweat LOL.

THanks your for POSITIVE feedback guys. I like to keep it local and cheap when i go... so I am always in the carritos, colmados & comedores and drinks
    It depends on where you are from, where you are physically aclimated.

I'm from Tampa, and the DR is warmer in winter and cooler in summer that where I am from (except the SW; it's HOT).

Years ago I got transferred from Tampa in mid July. I arrived in Chicago and everybody was complaining about the heat. I didn't think it was hot or humid at all. In fact, I thought the temps and weather were wonderul. THEN winter came, and while I about died in the dry cold and snow---I never thoiught I'd get chapped niopples---locals were acting like the weather was nothing. Three years later I got transferred back to Tampa in July...and about died. It took two months to become re-aclimated.

So I can see how someone from "up north" parachuting into the DR as summer begins might think it's hot.

8. Likes CRL2017, Russell liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It was something of culture shock how people just carry on with what I would consider "oppressive" heat.
    No one wants you to feel "oppressed"
    Perhaps you can find a nice air conditioned "safe space" to spend these hot days
    indoors and away from people like me

10. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    I have full time job with central A/C. my cars have a/c and my bedroom has a/c. My gym has central a/c. I stay away from sun and take vitamin D pills. I feel no heat here at all. so if you are going to move here, try not to live like poor people.
    Poverty sucks all over the world.

AZB
    Exactly and Amen!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I have A/C in my house...... set at 80 degrees, Mainly to remove humidity. I only run one A/C at a time, depending which room I'm in.

My vehicles all have A/C set on low.

End result is I'm never hot, never cold. Uniformity works for me.

My electric bill has never it 2K, so I must be doing something right.

13. Likes bob saunders, Russell liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    but then i am not a greasy chunk of fat wrapped in a thick blankie of adipose tissue all around. i hate AC and banned it from our house so far.
    I can't still go beyond this grotesque comment. " A greasy chunk of fat?"

Wow!!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The question was "how Dominicans deal with the heat". Simple, they say "Coño, que calor no? Préstame una fría". And play dominoes in the shadow.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast