Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Blue Heron Sighting

    Looking out my front window the other day, I spotted what looked like a heron, tinted blue, walking across my front yard. The bird appeared to be about three feet tall, with perfect posture. It took a few steps, and then stood stock still, lawn-ornament still, for several minutes, ignoring the swooping threats of a very distressed bird. It eventually wandered off, before I could get a picture. Does anyone have a similar story to tell?

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,779
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    After a hurricane one year, two flamingos flew past me on the beach.
    Very low.... they came back again... seemed to be looking for home.

    I don't think they were close !!

  3. #3
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Looking out my front window the other day, I spotted what looked like a heron, tinted blue, walking across my front yard. The bird appeared to be about three feet tall, with perfect posture. It took a few steps, and then stood stock still, lawn-ornament still, for several minutes, ignoring the swooping threats of a very distressed bird. It eventually wandered off, before I could get a picture. Does anyone have a similar story to tell?
    They are majestic birds and always remind me of what a flying dinosaur must have looked like. Herons normally are very secretive and stay away from people. What you observed was unusual but not unexpected. Herons are found world wide and expecially in the Tropics.

  4. #4
    Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We have lots of Limpkins near me. Before I knew what they were, I thought they resembled a type of heron. No good habitat for herons around here so it's not surprising I haven't seen any - not that I can see straight after about 9 am.

    Great guard dogs you have there William.

  5. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I live right next to the Laguna at Cabarete and we see several of these types of birds. An amateur ornithologist staying here identified various herons, egrets and ibis. Some of the young make a hell of a noise when they are demanding food from their parents - day and night.

  6. #6
    Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,450
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Most likely a limpkin called carrao here. We have a pair in the garden. The ones here are brown but with a blue head and a blue sheen on the rest of the body. Very noisy at dusk.



    Matilda


    Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums
    www.DR1.com

  7. Likes JDFriend liked this post
  8. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    Most likely a limpkin called carrao here. We have a pair in the garden. The ones here are brown but with a blue head and a blue sheen on the rest of the body. Very noisy at dusk.Matilda
    Matilda, the bird I saw bore no resemblance at all to the limpkin in the photo. I watched it for at least five minutes. It was almost completely white, including a white head. The mystery continues.

  9. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,956
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Too bad you couldn't get a picture.
    Did it have a crest on its head?

  10. #9
    Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There are herons here including the great blue heron. I don't know how abundant they are though. Look here and see if you can find a photo of what you saw.

    http://www.world-birds.com/birds/a/dominican-republic

  11. Likes Buzzard liked this post
  12. #10
    Silver
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Matilda, the bird I saw bore no resemblance at all to the limpkin in the photo. I watched it for at least five minutes. It was almost completely white, including a white head. The mystery continues.
    That would probably be a great egret, according to my ornithologist guest. I have some picture that she took in my garden, but don't know how to put them on here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •