Blue Heron Sighting

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Looking out my front window the other day, I spotted what looked like a heron, tinted blue, walking across my front yard. The bird appeared to be about three feet tall, with perfect posture. It took a few steps, and then stood stock still, lawn-ornament still, for several minutes, ignoring the swooping threats of a very distressed bird. It eventually wandered off, before I could get a picture. Does anyone have a similar story to tell?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
After a hurricane one year, two flamingos flew past me on the beach.
Very low.... they came back again... seemed to be looking for home.

I don't think they were close !!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Looking out my front window the other day, I spotted what looked like a heron, tinted blue, walking across my front yard. The bird appeared to be about three feet tall, with perfect posture. It took a few steps, and then stood stock still, lawn-ornament still, for several minutes, ignoring the swooping threats of a very distressed bird. It eventually wandered off, before I could get a picture. Does anyone have a similar story to tell?

They are majestic birds and always remind me of what a flying dinosaur must have looked like. Herons normally are very secretive and stay away from people. What you observed was unusual but not unexpected. Herons are found world wide and expecially in the Tropics.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
We have lots of Limpkins near me. Before I knew what they were, I thought they resembled a type of heron. No good habitat for herons around here so it's not surprising I haven't seen any - not that I can see straight after about 9 am.

Great guard dogs you have there William.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I live right next to the Laguna at Cabarete and we see several of these types of birds. An amateur ornithologist staying here identified various herons, egrets and ibis. Some of the young make a hell of a noise when they are demanding food from their parents - day and night.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Most likely a limpkin called carrao here. We have a pair in the garden. The ones here are brown but with a blue head and a blue sheen on the rest of the body. Very noisy at dusk.

21bvfol.jpg

Matilda

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Most likely a limpkin called carrao here. We have a pair in the garden. The ones here are brown but with a blue head and a blue sheen on the rest of the body. Very noisy at dusk.Matilda

Matilda, the bird I saw bore no resemblance at all to the limpkin in the photo. I watched it for at least five minutes. It was almost completely white, including a white head. The mystery continues.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Matilda, the bird I saw bore no resemblance at all to the limpkin in the photo. I watched it for at least five minutes. It was almost completely white, including a white head. The mystery continues.

That would probably be a great egret, according to my ornithologist guest. I have some picture that she took in my garden, but don't know how to put them on here.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
A 'Little Blue Heron'

Thanks to all who helped. My color perception was off (says my wife); it was definitely blue. About 2 1/2 to 3 ft high. It was 35 ft from my house on the front lawn. Looking through the catalog of birds (great help, Cdn Gringo!) we both identified the culprit as a 'Little Blue Heron'.
Again, thanks to all!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is one of them birdies in costambar. i saw it twice around the beach area. and then yesterday i almost run into it during my training. luckily he saw me and moved out of the way, i literally just noticed him when he moved out of my path. large, bluish grey with a yellow beak and a decorative "hat". beautiful creature.