GPS Car Trackers

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I noticed on Amazon there are a bunch of gps car trackers for about 50 bucks. The plug in the the manufacturers OBD port. I assume they require a sim card with data.

Has anyone had any luck with these in the DR? If so, which one would you recommend?

Al ot of them say they are GSM compatible, but not sure that means it works in another country because of some other reason.

Thanks in advance.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Usually not a sim card, but a monthly fee to cover cell costs. Although there are some gps out there that do not have monthly fees.

I'm actually looking at something now that I think has a Satellite option. Trimble TVG 370 & 360. But haven't had time to research it too much. I think the more basic one just gives location - and these are thru the obd port.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've played with this for ages. Some work with bluetooth, some plug into your OBD port, most require a monthly fee to function, and many of those do not work in the DR.

I finally went with one of the local providers. My current provider costs $1 a day, and gives me on time tracking plus a bunch of history reports. Others have made lower offers.

I strongly suggest you go with a local provider.