Pizza Hut on Calle Conde is no more

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Say it isn't so. Pizza Hut is and was the best restaurant in all the Dominican Republic. Domino's is pretty good too, but Pizza Hut rocks.
At least the 2 in the PC area appear to be safe. They are always quite busy.

Sep 4, 2012
Dominican cant' afford to pay American prices plus some in fast food. Americans fast food do well in economies outside of the USA which are healthy, ie, Panama

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Another American business is out of business.

This is not an "American Business" closing. It is an American franchiser with a very wealthy Dominican family being the owner of the franchise here in the DR. They have many locations throughout the D.R. and must have determined that the location on El Conde wasn't profitable.
I am from the states but I don't eat at any of the franchises, except for Tony Romas on Ave Sarasota, here or in the states. Having said that most of the franchises do very well including Pizza Hut.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
This is not an "American Business" closing. It is an American franchiser with a very wealthy Dominican family being the owner of the franchise here in the DR. They have many locations throughout the D.R. and must have determined that the location on El Conde wasn't profitable.
I am from the states but I don't eat at any of the franchises, except for Tony Romas on Ave Sarasota, here or in the states. Having said that most of the franchises do very well including Pizza Hut.

Seems to be the most likely reason. El Conde doesn't exactly attract the people who have Pizza Hut money. El conde is for the Pizza House 2 for 1 special peeps. Hard Rock, Denny's, now Pizza Hut ………. anyone remember any others?

I often thought a McDonalds would do well on el conde? thoughts?

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The good news is that if I travel to Boston I can find Dominican platos del dia in abundance in Jamaica Spain.

If I went to Boston I probably wouldn't do that, though. It would take the Jaws of Life to pry me out of the Thai Restaurants.

To those who travel to the DR and hang out at Pizza Hut on the Conde it's a crisis. That includes my buddy Charlie from Cambridge who will be at a total loss.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Say it isn't so. Pizza Hut is and was the best restaurant in all the Dominican Republic. Domino's is pretty good too, but Pizza Hut rocks.
At least the 2 in the PC area appear to be safe. They are always quite busy.

What are you smoking???? Seriously??? WTF? "best restaurant in all the Dominican Republic." You must not get out much. I wouldn't eat Pizza Hut in the States let alone in the DR. There are many great restaurants in the DR. Pizza Hut is one of them. Come on man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What are you smoking???? Seriously??? WTF? "best restaurant in all the Dominican Republic." You must not get out much. I wouldn't eat Pizza Hut in the States let alone in the DR. There are many great restaurants in the DR. Pizza Hut is one of them. Come on man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you people have anything else better to do in life, critiquing another man's desire for Pizza Hut?
When was the last time you even stepped foot on Hispaniola, 2012?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

my sentiments, exactly!!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Threw in the towel ?

Agree, suspect this decision is profit based. Inclined to think high rent, franchise demands, and not enough traffic to sustain it; .....and/or the owner of that franchise location just threw in the towel.

Do not be surprised another Pizza Hut opens in a more lucrative location.

Regards,

PJT

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Long Live Pizza Hut!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Agree, suspect this decision is profit based. Inclined to think high rent, franchise demands, and not enough traffic to sustain it; .....and/or the owner of that franchise location just threw in the towel.

Do not be surprised another Pizza Hut opens in a more lucrative location.

Regards,

PJT

There are still probably a half dozen Pizza Huts scattered about in Santo Domingo.

The one on el conde lacked parking in the immediate area, no outdoor dining, no late hours...….. after 8PM el conde for the most part shuts down...……. plus it wasn't cheap …… I will take Papa John's on Gomez any day over the Pizza Hut that WAS on el conde.

Add to that there is a Pizza Hut on calle Santiago and Pasteur that can handle all delivery orders in the Gazcue area.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Seems to be the most likely reason. El Conde doesn't exactly attract the people who have Pizza Hut money. El conde is for the Pizza House 2 for 1 special peeps. Hard Rock, Denny's, now Pizza Hut ………. anyone remember any others?

I often thought a McDonalds would do well on el conde? thoughts?

there was a McDonalds on El Conde back in the mid/late 90's did not last long